God's Laptop

Wow… I know it will be obsolete in 6 months… but until then, wow…

Clevo x8100

Twin GTX 480M with 2GB each… triplet hard drives… twin channel memory (up to 8 GB)… quadruplet processor power…

Probably lasts 15 minutes on battery life… awesome… complete waste of money, but totally awesome…

Someone loan me $6000 so I get me one. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Oops… it’s the x8100 that’s divine… not the mortal x7200 :o

Wrong. If its out, its obsolete.

Fortunately most erogames do not require God’s Hardware :stuck_out_tongue: , but because I’m still using an old WinXP system in my computers I’m curious about the new Windows 7.
I’ve seen the thread for the translated titles (thanks Doug :slight_smile: ), but what about the original (Japanese) stuff? Do I need the Professional edition (because of the WinXP mode), or Home is enough? And getting Win 7 64-bit versions would be a problem (I remember all the headaches with Vista 64)?

Bah! You should see God’s Desktop. It’s 1.5 kilowatts of power, just for the quadruplet SLI cards:

Look at the size of that heatsink!!! There’s no such thing as overkill. :twisted:

tl;dr - Only get 64-bit if you have more than 4GB of memory. Windows 7 Pro has XPMode. If you don’t have a need to upgrade to Windows 7 (just playing eroge), stick with Windows XP.

long answer: A lot people have told me, that 64-bit Windows 7 is a lot better than Vista’s at running 32-bit legacy software. I’m gonna be straight with ya though: unless your machine is running more than 4GB of memory, and/or you run a lot of 64-bit dedicated software, getting a 64-bit Windows is a waste of money. Most game programs - especially from Japan - are not optimized for using 100% of 64-bit power. In fact, most games that claim to run 64-bit, are only compatible with 64-bit - they don’t offer any real improvement. And even when they do, it’s like a second or two faster at most.

So get Windows 32-bit if your machine is 4GB or less. Now if your machine is going to have more than 4GB, you need 64-bit Windows… because 32-bit Windows maxes at 4GB (having more than that is a waste of memory).

If you do get 64-bit Windows 7, consider Windows 7 Professional, because it comes with XPMode… and that will solve ALL your 32-bit problems (it’s Windows XP). XPMode also comes with Windows 7 Ultimate, but that’s more expensive and not really worth the extra $$$ to be honest (it’s all extra gimmicks and toys). Other versions of Windows 7 do not come with XPMode.

Gee, thanks, your advice WILL be remembered :mrgreen: .

There are some additional reasons, stuff that I use it for, that has to do with complex computations such as encoding are greatly benifited with 64-bit architexture. Also those who run RAID drives have a maximum of 2TB and we are quickly entering the era single HDs larger than 2TB and like FAT32’s 2GB ceiling, 2TBs is a maximum ceiling for 32bit architecture. MS can’t raise it any higher. So soon memory size won’t be the only reason.

Narg makes it sound like you have to get buy a completely different product to have access to 64-bit. If I recall correctly, all versions of Windows 7 ( i.e. Home, Professional, and Ultimate, which are the only versions a user outside of a corporate environment should be concerned about) contain both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions.

This is true. However I’d like to point out that lots of people get their machines preloaded and could be stuck without a true reinstallation disc. I’ve seen many store shelf Lenovo and Compaq come with a “factory restore” sort of partition on the hard drive, from which recovery discs can be made: those can be stuck with only 32-bit or only 64-bit installations, when they’re image restore discs and not true Windows installers.

One of many reasons why I build my own desktops. If I had the time and money, I’m hardcore enough that I’d even be willing to build my own laptop.

Just more geeky info:

A single 480m nearly has the performance as it’s rival’s (currently) best cards in dual crossfire mode!

Dual 480m in sli mode will melt souls and eat babies (i.e. actually run Crysis at high performance; on a laptop mind you). 8)

More info on God’s Laptop, now that it’s hitting the trade shows:

The model really is Clevo x7200. It has THREE memory slots (going 12GB max), dual 480M in twincest mode (4GB video memory total), three hard drives, and five speakers. Supports overclocking. Only the best for playing the upcoming KotOR MMO. :wink:

Here are pics of cooling layout:

Will retail around $5000 to $6000 USD when fully tricked out. Goes on sale in August or September. Battery life is said to be 5 to 15 minutes though (not that you’d use this massive brick on a plane ride). Weight is 5.5 kilos; 12 pounds for the Americans.

You can order it now:

http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispat … t_id=30010

Actually costs $4794 with three 500GB 7200RPM hard drives, and no OS, but otherwise fully loaded.

Cheaper than the $5000 guess everyone was making.

Your eroge will never run slow again. :stuck_out_tongue:

While I’m in the market for a new computer myself, I tend to prefer my laptops actually be portable. If I’m going all-out it might as well be in a tower I can upgrade components in easily - my current machine has been upgraded continuously from 1999 so I’d want one that can last another 10-12 years

Oh, definitely. SSD is pretty much an essential inclusion in this-- in fact, I won’t even get a DESKTOP without one. So many things are IO bound nowadays, CPU, GPU and RAM speeds being as insane as they are, and they are inevitably bound to seek speeds, which SSDs pretty much eliminate.

Today’s overkill is tomorrow’s obsolete. :wink:

EDIT
I actually have some reservations about using SSD. I know they’re the newest in speed tech, but the gains haven’t outweighed the negatives IMHO… and I’d rather not go hybrid - it’s either one or the other. So for now my rigs are using 7200RPM HHD’s until I’m more comfortable with the SSD market.

Plus 256GB is not enough to store my rotating twincest gallery. :wink:

There is one more hurdle that SSDs need to overcome (besides price) before I will get then: capacity. Until they can catch up or surpass traditional hard drives in that aspect, I’ll stick with the older technology.