Good Sake and Japanese Beer in the U.S. ?

Well since I’m hitting the magic number in about three months; I was hoping some of our older members might share some tips about the alcohol of the rising sun. After all No one thinks Jack Daniels even close to matches a glass of Chivas Regal.

You might not want to drink just because your 21. But as I’m not drinking age either I wouldn’t know any good ones. Sorry.

You might be surprised.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/129535

It turns out that for wine, at least, the expense makes it taste better. When you do blind taste tests, you get a quite different array of top choices than you’d normally get.

Everyone’s taste is different, so what anybody here suggests may or may not be something you would personally like. Also, how you perceive the taste can be effected by what you are eating (if you are) and interestingly, the atmosphere in which you are drinking. In addition, it should be noted that if you choose to try Japanese beer, most the beer we actually drink here in North America is made here. According to Wikipedia:

Now that I’ve gotten all that out of the way, here is what I’ve tried and enjoyed (that I can recall off the top of my head):
[list][]Choya Umeshu (umeshu is often called “plum wine”, even though it is a liquor, not a wine)[/]
[]Asahi Super Dry[/]
[]Momokawa Pearl (the products in the Momokawa line of sake is another case of something that is actually made here, in this case, Oregon)[/][/list]

Ten years of military service in Japan has taught me one thing about Japanese beer: ??? (Chu-Hi) is the best. Thousands of sailors (especially when the “boat” - i.e. aircraft carrier - is in) have wasted their hard earned dollars (cause they take dollars) at the Honch in Yokosuka, drinking this alcoholic Kool-Aid. Even when the place is labeled off limits by the Commanding Officers. The air monkeys at Misawa also were fond of the drink. :twisted:

Sapporo is damn good. Had a few tonight at the pool hall.

And how is everyone? Long time no see =D