Having Trouble Finishing Kira-Kira

Come on, what’s shameful about that? =P

Actually, I thought it was cool of him to make that sacrifice for the sake of the band - and people were right, it worked better as an all girl group.

My problem with the guy was, like most other VN protagonists, he was mostly an insensitive jerk when it came to dealing with the emotions of the female characters.

Yeah, you might want to work on that if you plan on getting yourself an anime girl anytime soon.

Right, that was my point.

Well, who wants a real girl? They eat too much, get dirty to easily, have this tendency to talk and breath when you don’t want them to … what a hassle!

I’m having trouble finishing even one ending of the game because THE PROTAGONIST IS A MAJOR ASSHOLE. But I think I ranted about that already. :slight_smile: I can never tell if it’s just translation awkwardness + the lack of voice that makes him sound like such a massive dick.

His actual actions towards the girls are usually okay, as best as I can recall. It’s his thought processes that piss me off. I want to smack him repeatedly, and the protagonists of most games don’t make me this annoyed. A better translation, with slightly different and more subtle handling of the lines that upset me, could probably smooth the problem away.

As for the cross-dressing thing, I thought it was slightly odd how it was handled. He didn’t seem to be either able to treat the whole thing as a meaningless joke OR to be deeply upset by it, but to fluctuate wildly between these things. After the incident in his past with Psycho Stalker Guy, I would be completely understanding of him refusing to ever do such a thing again. And considering that there’s a benefit to having an all-girl band, I would be completely understanding of him choosing to do it for the band’s image without it having anything to do with his personal life. As it was, I found it hard to tell how he actually felt about it.

In a more traditional comedy anime, he would probably only cross for performances and otherwise pretend to be a relative of the band member just hanging out with the girls, leading to Wacky Hijinks when fans started stalking them. I was actually expecting a lot more plot out of crazy stalker guy…

Hmm!

From Erogamescape, POVs (which are sort of tags used by users to describe eroge in broader terms. They are associated with a grade of A, B or C that indicate the severity. In the summary, only the total of all three is given:
??? ??(73),??(19),???(16)
Protagonist: superb(73), useless(19), popular(16)
??? 73??A?59??B?12??C?2??
Protagonist is superb: 73 (59 A, 12 B, 2 C)
??? 19??A?7??B?6??C?6??
Protagonist is useless: 19 (7 A, 6 B, 6 C)
??? 16??A?11??B?5??C?0??
Protagonist is popular: 16 (11 A, 5 B, 0 C)

As for my own opinion on it, I didn’t think the protagonist was too bad, but he was definitely (deliberately) pretty bad in a couple of places. Part of the story is essentially his own self-development. The ‘breakup speech’ at the very start was absolutely epic stuff, and he wouldn’t be able to be the target of a rant like that if he was perfect.

For me, there is this constant conflation of sex and rape in his viewpoint throughout the game that really gets on my nerves. He thinks in rapey imagery in situations where I’d expect sexual imagery, which is jarring to read and keeps breaking the mood for me. It’s disturbing.

Hmm, I don’t recall getting that impression from the game. It has been a very long time, though; I shall reread some parts of it at some stage. It’s not all that ridiculous idea, given the writer (Setoguchi Renya) - CARNIVAL and SWAN SONG both tended to blur the lines between rape and non-rape (with most of the scenes that weren’t ambiguous being very obviously the first)