Hi, I'm new here

Hi, everyone!

My name is Benoit, and I’m new here, but not new to bishoujo gaming!

I’m currently enjoying Brave Soul, which I bought at my local manga shop! That’s right, a shop that also sells bishoujo games!

I’ve also played and enjoyed:
True Love
Princess Maker

Due to my bishoujo gaming history being questionable in regards to posting, I won’t post it until I’m sure it doesn’t break the forum rules.
Don’t worry! I’m 18.

And something that you should know about me… I have a form of autism, namely Asperger’s Syndrome. So please bear with me. Please? I don’t mean any harm.

That’s all. I hope we’ll get along!

EDIT: Typo.
------------------
Dumb people are amusing.
Another word for strange is special.

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 02-24-2004).]

Welcome Benoit-san.

Hmm, not sure what you mean by your gaming history being questionable in regards to posting. But for the most part we’re pretty open here. Certain topics will set people off but if you’re honestly not “trolling” or just curious, most of the regulars will probably forgive you. So welcome, and enjoy posting…

Okay, I’ll give it a shot. Admins, delete/edit this if this is too inappropriate, please.

Some years back I was looking for a dating simulation game. I had heard of Tokimeki Memorial, so I looked for it and downloaded the SNES game. But it was all in Japanese, so I couldn’t read it, and I didn’t understand how to play it, so I deleted it.

Maybe about a year later, my brother found True Love via P2P. It was exactly what I had been looking for. Enjoying the game, I wanted to buy it so I would own an original copy. I mailed Peter Payne about it, who told me that it was out of print because the company went bankrupt because of software piracy. How ironic… He added me to the update emails of J-List, Jast USA and Peach Princess. What he didn’t know is that at the time, I wasn’t 18… Oh well. I was/am mature enough for these kinds of things.

Some time later I wanted to try Princess Maker 2, having heard of it for a long time from a good friend of mine. So I got it via P2P. After some more time, I bought the Saturn JP version of the game to have the original. Later I learned that it was also a bishoujo game.

So I became interested in the bishoujo game market, reading the Jast USA game pages, reading Animetric’s reviews and HentaiNeko’s reviews.

Then… two weeks before I would become 18, and have enough money to buy Brave Soul… I learned that they sold bishoujo games at my manga shop! Woohoo! Of course I wasn’t allowed to buy any of them unless I was 18, which wasn’t a problem for me.
So a couple of days after my birthday, I bought it.

That’s my story.

EDIT: Typo. -_-

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 02-24-2004).]

Well at least your purchasing your bishoujo games. That’s a good thing as bishoujo gaming is in it’s infancy here and the more people who buy the games may convince more publishers to make localizations for us. Oh yeah welcome to the boards, and don’t mind the old fogys here

I was going to make something of the “old fogeys” comment, then I realized I pretty much am one. I’m both older than average age-wise (though not the oldest, I know some guys are older than I am) and in length of time on this BBS. I so need to find me a life…

Hmm, actually, your story is probably typical of many of the posters here, especially if you dig back far enough. The main thing to me is, as wanfu2k1-san says, is that you’re now purchasing the games rightfully.

A lot of us here - myself included - got started by bootlegging the titles. For a (short) time after I first started downloading them (ages and ages ago) I even tried to lie to myself that this was somehow not a bad thing, that this couldn’t be copyrighted stuff that someone was still trying to sell because it was so old. That didn’t last too long. Eventually I started buying legitimate copies of the titles myself.

I think you’re not the only one by far - in fact I think most of the regulars got their start bootlegging in one form or another. All of them have gone legit, or at least legit enough that they lie about it while they’re here.

As long as you know you should buy the games now, and you don’t participate in the warez scene … you’re very welcome here. More otakus are always a good thing :smiley: right?

Welcome!!!

Well… you should try to play english dating simulation games-

Harvest Moon (SNES, GBC, PS1, PS2, N64, GBA, and Gamecube)
Graduation (PC)
Thousand Arms (PS1)
Sakura Wars (PS2 but… USA status- unknown)

Welcome to the board…I love new enthusiastic fans!!! ::happy bouncies::

feel free to check out my website as well, if you are interested in reading some great reviews of games

http://engbishoujo.tripod.com

Indeed welcome to the board. As has been said it is very good that you are buying your games now, though it is a shame that games like Princess Maker 2 were lost to this market. I think that is one a lot of us would have bought, and bundled with the others still would buy, anyway, welcome.