Himeya shop games

I’ve played desire, Adam the double factor and chain and one other bout a school and drug and people disappearing
Can’t remember the name on that one??? Whatever happened to himeya r they still around?
I know after Adam they stopped translating their games to English. Where can I find more games like the ones above?
Or would it be best to learn Japanese at this point?

They had a store selling Japanese eroge to English customers for a very long time. But a few years ago they went under when the yen appreciated dramatically against the dollar and all their stuff got a lot more expensive.

If you want more games like those:

Chain, Demonbane, Saya no Uta, and Kara no Shoujo are your best bets.

Read yu-no

MangaGamer is selling the version of Eve burst error that Himeya released for the English market a few years ago . It’s the only game from C’s Ware / Himeya that’s still available.

That would likely be Divi-Dead. I still love that game, terrible system, insane translation and all.

As Doug said, Eve burst error can be purchased fairly cheap from Mangagamer, although it’s pretty rough going with that old engine style.

I’d second the recommendation for Kara no Shoujo if you’d like a dark mystery game. There is an original mystery series in English (Jisei/Kansei/Yousei) but they’re much shorter and much lighter than something like Divi-Dead or KnS. We’re also hoping on Cartagra in the near future.

Too bad KnS sucks as a detective/mystery game.

Actually I think that sounds more like that one about the aphrodisiac drug? Love Potion, I think? (I should play Divi Dead one of these days, I was always interested in it but never quite wanted to put up with some of the quirks of the engine.) If I recall correctly it featured some of the same characters as Eve Burst Error. I don’t remember anything about that game anymore, but I remember someone who did review it saying that the worst part was the way it managed to tarnish the characters from EBE.

Eve Burst Error is definitely worth what MG wants for it. The story is awesome, and the high quality of the writing in the original shines through the iffy translation. (At least you can tell the translator tried in EBE; some other games from that era it’s pretty obvious the translator just didn’t care.) I really liked it, even though the translation is spotty and the gameplay is in the bad old style.

As for Kara no Shoujo - I’ll agree you should play it. I also have to agree about it not really living up to the hype - you can’t affect the story significantly (other than getting a bad end for screwing stuff up) even though it was implied you could. The mystery itself also is quite suspenseful, but you really don’t have to actually solve anything yourself. I was hoping more for a game that gives you a bunch of clues then asks you to figure it out; KnS tries to do that but only sort of succeeds. But KnS is definitely a lot of fun; it nails it out of the park on atmosphere and writing. (Writing, as opposed to plotting; it’s all very well-written, with interesting characters. It’s the overall plotting that has some issues.)

As for Cartagra, it’s been officially announced along with KnS2. Yay! :smiley:

Wow, I’d completely forgotten Love Potion even existed. I suspect I’m not enough of a masochist to try and go for that one any time soon.

I’m making my way through EBE because it’s come with enough recommendations that I expect it to get good eventually, but at least at the beginning both protagonists act completely insane even when you aren’t choosing the joke options, and it induces many headdesks. On the other hand the translation generally makes sense which is a step up from some old games.

Love Potion features Kyouko.

Love Potion is one of the most awful VNs I’ve ever played. It’s also the first I ever played. Only Softhouse-Seal titles manage to surpass it in awfulness.

you take that back

Look, I know Softhouse Seal has had some problems lately and their games aren’t nearly as good as they used to be, but they certainly haven’t fallen far enough to be a justifiable target for your worst eroge company jokes.

Now, I’ll admit this is personal, and not just because I’ve spent enough money on softhouse seal games to feed sixty thousand orphans in Uganda; their games have left a lasting impression on me, making me the person I am today. I even named my website (???) after one of them!

Err, don’t. For one, it’s completely OOP :stuck_out_tongue: and for two, err, that would require playing Love Potion.

There were some stunningly awful games released in the bad old days. DOR is the last time I think anything on that level of badness was released, and that was an experiment on G-Collections’ part to see if maybe any of their really old games were worth messing around with. (Apparently it was several of them repackaged into one game.) Cobra Mission, Pro Lez-Ring, Love Potion …

Even some of the half-good games, like Gloria (which was released by C’s Ware), just don’t hold up at all.

And Eve Burst Error is definitely a product of its time, awkward translation and all. But the characters are actually engaging, even if they aren’t necessarily always on the ball. And it gets the most mileage you can really expect to get out of the old pseudo-adventure-game design by making a lot of the pointless options at least be entertaining by being funny. And it actually gets pretty damn interesting once things pick up.

Eh…I’m still lamenting about the loss of my Divi-Dead. The few rare times I’ve found it being sold (would rather have the actual copy then a dubious download service), the game is being sold for wayyyy to much…alas…and I still can’t come across an English site like Himeya that sells Japanese bishoujo adult games for the dvd player…

Alas, I never got around to playing Divi Dead before my XP machine died. It apparently doesn’t work on anything newer. Dagnabbit!

Works for me in win7 64-bit.

Have you tried dosbox or something? I am actually still running XP so I can’t check, but I seem to recall we once got Divi-Dead running on linux via wine, so it seems like other emulatory environments might work.

It’s not a DOS game. Was released in 1998 after all… although I can get why the art + presentation style would lead people to think it might have been originally; it does look a bit like the PC-98 eroges.

Those are not Himeya games. They were put out by Otaku Publishing, which put out a few games in the 90s and then went back to their main business of selling Japanese import stuff (if I’m not mistaken).

Peter license rescued stuff from a few different places, and Mangagamer license rescued the Himeya stuff. But the Otaku games are one of the publishers that never got license rescued by anybody. At this point over 10 years later I’d be stunned if anyone did. It sucks for people like you, but these really old titles are probably not even worth the time spent getting all the right people in the room to have a meeting. (They get paid to attend those meetings, of course, and the money a reprint would make off the hundred or so copies you’d probably sell might not even cover their salaries for that time.)

You also have to take into account that Software House Parsely (True Love) and Foster (Paradise Heights Series, Timestripper etc.) don’t exist anymore. So there’s a question as to who has the rights. It’s probably too much of a hassle.

Parsley is a sub-brand of Square* which is still around (although their only surviving brand is U-Me Soft). Foster, aka FORST was bought by Will.

The rights are not necessarily as simple as that, but if they were developed as work-for-hire for the brands the companies that own them should still be around.

[size=50]*no, not that Square.[/size]