Hirameki International Games . .

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Well that would make sense I guess about 5.25 an episode broken down that way and I know no one does taht but still that is cheaper then saying 10 dollars an episode.

I mentioned in one of the other threads how I overheard someone complaining about the higher price of the Fruits Baskets DVDs, which were 39.99. But those are 6 or 7 episodes per disc with a lower price per episode count. We just don't generally think in those terms.

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
I mentioned in one of the other threads how I overheard someone complaining about the higher price of the Fruits Baskets DVDs, which were 39.99. But those are 6 or 7 episodes per disc with a lower price per episode count. We just don't generally think in those terms.

I do, but as someone once said a girl I know trained me well to think in those terms. That is to see which is the better deal, two discs at 19.95 each (3 episodes per disc) or one collection with 6 or 7 episdoes at 39.99. They are very close in price, but if you have to ship each of the two seperately that suddenly costs more, anyway that is what happened, I was taught to think that way, of which makes more economical sense.

quote:
I do, but as someone once said a girl I know trained me well to think in those terms. That is to see which is the better deal, two discs at 19.95 each (3 episodes per disc) or one collection with 6 or 7 episdoes at 39.99. They are very close in price, but if you have to ship each of the two seperately that suddenly costs more, anyway that is what happened, I was taught to think that way, of which makes more economical sense.

Lack of $$$, has taught me that.
Shipping costs are still rather high because the new DVD's you want are never released on the same day. For example chobbits nov/11 Cardcaptor movie nov/18 angelic layer nov/25.

[This message has been edited by woodelf (edited 11-06-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
Lack of $$$, has taught me that.
Shipping costs are still rather high because the new DVD's you want are never released on the same day. For example chobbits nov/11 Cardcaptor movie nov/18 angelic layer nov/25.

[This message has been edited by woodelf (edited 11-06-2003).]

Lack of money has always been a consideration but I always save a lot then splurge, so it might be long gaps between times I spend on things like DVD's. Nevertheless, it is always wise to spend money in the most economical way possible.

I have noticed that about the DVD's, some of them are released on days so close and yet so far apart from each other, that they end up costing people more when it comes out if ordered seperately.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 11-06-2003).]

quote:
It varies. Depending on the producer, the series, stuff like that. I think the general trend is moving towards the 4 episode count for a disc at MSRP $29.99 but there's still a lot of variation out there.

It really depends... most 3ep/vol dvds are from series that are 12-13 eps long, ie Onegai Teacher. Once the series length usually the ep count is increased (unless you are viz and know people will buy it no matter what i.e. Inu Yasha and Ranma). Solar High is practically unknown here so it's hard to justify buying it especially since it's a 50+ ep anime so that would mean 17+ vols to collect of a series you don't really know anything about.

Well, I did said it varies. I can think of a couple of “half-season” (13 ep) series off-hand that come on three disks (4ep/dvd). And I can also think of “full season” (26 ep) series that come primarily as 3 eps/dvd. Those longer than that, I havn’t really bought all that many so those I really can’t think of examples either way.

quote:
Well, I did said it varies. I can think of a couple of "half-season" (13 ep) series off-hand that come on three disks (4ep/dvd). And I can also think of "full season" (26 ep) series that come primarily as 3 eps/dvd. Those longer than that, I havn't really bought all that many so those I really can't think of examples either way.

This might be a odd question, but it was only recently that I noticed most anime is only 26 episodes per series, at least the ones I have seen so far, what is the magic about 26?

quote:
This might be a odd question, but it was only recently that I noticed most anime is only 26 episodes per series, at least the ones I have seen so far, what is the magic about 26?

26 = half of 52 = half a year at one episode per week.

Nowadays, there's less money - so many shows aren't getting padded to 26 and are running for 13. It used to be, any show got a run of 26 episodes. They might end a few early (Saber Marionette J - 25, for instance), but they didn't really have half-season shows until recently. Hence the phenomena of the recap episode, and the filler episode.

Basically, if they do it like this, they can easily divide things up and have 3 or 4 'seasons' per year. As opposed to, say, a 20-week 'half' season instead of 13, where you could just fit in a full 40 episode run into a year.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
26 = half of 52 = half a year at one episode per week.

Nowadays, there's less money - so many shows aren't getting padded to 26 and are running for 13. It used to be, any show got a run of 26 episodes. They might end a few early (Saber Marionette J - 25, for instance), but they didn't really have half-season shows until recently. Hence the phenomena of the recap episode, and the filler episode.

Basically, if they do it like this, they can easily divide things up and have 3 or 4 'seasons' per year. As opposed to, say, a 20-week 'half' season instead of 13, where you could just fit in a full 40 episode run into a year.

Makes sense, instead of having a show you try and string along to see how long it will last have it run a set time. Too bad the money is not what it use to be, for everything.

quote:
Makes sense, instead of having a show you try and string along to see how long it will last have it run a set time. Too bad the money is not what it use to be, for everything.

This is getting quite afield, but the conversation is going to go there eventually anyhow...More or less, here's the deal. Anime tend to end badly, a lot. This is in large part due to most anime being based off of a manga. There are several reasons for this, which can include any of the following:

1) Short show based off a gargantuan manga (a LOT of shows have this problem, ESPECIALLY older OVAs). In this case, either the show will just end, or they'll try to compress huge amounts of it to MAKE it end, or they'll just make up an ending.

2) TV show gets greenlighted, goes into production stages when the manga hasn't finished. They may discover that hey - there was a major plot point we cut, or changed, because we didn't think it was important!

The TV shows that are unique creations of the production staff have better chances, but even then it's a toss-up. Consider The Big O, which got axed halfway through.

And then there are travesties, like the third season of Ruroni Kenshin, wherein the creator left to go finish his manga - and the creative powers that be decided 'let's make more!' and so they kept going, and created a third TV season...by making stuff up, and it sucked.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
This is getting quite afield,

Most things do go far afield in posts but it's cool, especially in off topic posts, or so I think that is true.

Also doing only 12-13 eps series makes testing the waters easier for companies. So if the series becomes popular they just create a continuation or sequal. IE CoTS, Mahoromatic, Big-O(although it really was prodding by CN that got more made) just to name a few.

Of course the danger of starting an Anime while the manga is still ongoing is that the anime runs outta material before the manga ends as Nandemonai pointed out they either have to make their own ending and go their own way thus making it non canon to the manga. Or they just end it at a cliffhanger a la Kare Kano and piss off everyone who’s left hanging. Actually, I think now a growing trend is to just take the general idea and characters of the manga and have the anime diverge early on from the manga, like DNAngel anime.

Oh well, just to get vaguely on topic. I did double check and it was Idol Fighter Su-Chi-Pai I saw at Sam Goody. I probably would have bought it but Please Teacher distracted me…

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Also doing only 12-13 eps series makes testing the waters easier for companies. So if the series becomes popular they just create a continuation or sequal. IE CoTS, Mahoromatic, Big-O(although it really was prodding by CN that got more made) just to name a few.

Of course the danger of starting an Anime while the manga is still ongoing is that the anime runs outta material before the manga ends as Nandemonai pointed out they either have to make their own ending and go their own way thus making it non canon to the manga. Or they just end it at a cliffhanger a la Kare Kano and piss off everyone who's left hanging. Actually, I think now a growing trend is to just take the general idea and characters of the manga and have the anime diverge early on from the manga, like DNAngel anime.

Or something like Crest of the Stars? I have heard that was taken from Manga but not entirely true to it.

quote:
Or something like Crest of the Stars? I have heard that was taken from Manga but not entirely true to it.

No. Not quite, but close. Crest of the Stars is based off of a series of novels, and is truer than some adaptations have been, but still not EXACTLY the same.

We will carry all the Hirameki games, so you can buy them from us :slight_smile: