How long does it take to get internet in Japan?

Well today I finally have internet again. I’m on K-Opti’s “EO Hikari” connection. Anyway it only took them about 2 months to actually install it. It could’ve been worse though. One of my students said it took them about 5 months before he was connected. So much for Japanese efficiency :stuck_out_tongue:

Two months? Wow, even our Telecom Italia is faster than this. Unfortunately, its basic/cheapest ADSL speed connection sucks, only 2.4 Mbps for 19.95 Euros a month (! :roll: !).
And you?

Well it took forever, but the connection is nice. Fiber Optic 100Mbps for about 4,000Yen a month

2.4 Mbps for 20 EUR? Not that bad. We pay about 30 EUR here for 3 Mbps. Of course, in reality the speed is always lower than advertised. 3 Mbps = 1.5 Mbps in practice. That’s because you usually don’t have your house in the same street as the ISP. :stuck_out_tongue:

Took the better part of a week to get my connection. Less for my Yahoo BB connection. I suppose it depends on where you are. I am in the north of Honshu so maybe the installers are not so busy here.

Maybe, I’m in Shiga and a mere 30 mins from Kyoto so its quite possible.

How come everyone on this forum seem to live in Japan? envies

Like anywhere Japan has its good and bad points. I enjoy living here but I’d like to live in Hawaii.

“The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!”

I agree. If I get rich overnight, one of my first priorities would be a relocation to some tropical -but “civilized” :stuck_out_tongue: - paradise, and Hawaii islands seem nice.
However, you can find something similar in Japan too, I believe.

I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else than in the north part of Belgium.

I have lived in Japan about one year, our company had an useful internetconnection that i could use for free. In Singapore where i lived the last months i didn’t have an internet connection, because i did work for RSN. I had to use inernet caf√©s. At home in Sweden i have 8mbps(in realtity 4 to 6) for 269Swedish Kronas a month. When we moved to our house in the summer of 2005 it took 3 weeks to get connected. Benoit, i have never been to Belgium but i enjoy Belgain beer sometimes.

[ 04-09-2007, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Johan ]

“SIGH” :cry:
I’m so envious of Japan’s broadband paradise, me and (almost surely) that Italian friend are using our Telecom Italia’s Alice 7 Mega instead, the cheapest Flat ADSL connection currently available in Italy (19.95 EUR every month for 5.4 -NOT 7- MBs of Internet speed).
Yeah…

…is also true (VERY true), however, as I’ve said before, foreigners are more at risk than the natives EVERYWHERE :roll: :stuck_out_tongue: .

It’s actually been harmful to them. Several business magazines have pointed out that Japan has lost billions of dollars in potential profit, because of their IPV6 jump, as dozens of European and American companies have struggled with compatibility issues across the board. Where do they go instead? Singapore, China, Taiwan, and India (South Korea is on par with Japan, thanks to their MMO obsessions). Of course there’s counterargument that Japan is ahead of the tech curve, and so in the long term it will favor them, but the rising energy costs brings doubt to this: companies just don’t have the capital they used to. Plus in the office cube, NAZI IT Departments limit user speeds anyways.

Meh… Narg still runs on cheapo DSL… sometimes even 56K modem - with Turbo Caching¬ô of course! :stuck_out_tongue: