I Dream of Jeannie - Pilot Episode

Anyone here remember the original pilot episode (The Lady in the Bottle) to I Dream of Jeannie? I used to watch the show on late night reruns as a kid, but only first caught the pilot episode a few hours ago. Rather neat… the original premise had Jeannie as a lot more hornier and vindictive than she was in the official series. Considering it’s a 1965 show, I can imagine why they changed it… but looking back on what could have been is fun.

Tony Nelson had a fiance, whom he had a long relationship with, and Jeannie was hell bent on destroying that relationship (because she loved him). Since Nelson wished for Jeannie’s freedom soon after meeting her, she had enough freewill to only obey what wishes she wanted too. Doing more searching, I discovered that the original script writers wanted Nelson to be MARRIED, but the censors wouldn’t allow that. Now that would have been a sight to see.

A yandere Jeannie? :stuck_out_tongue:

Turns out that after the show was approved for syndication, Jeannie got rid of Nelson’s fiance in the second episode, and the issue was never mentioned again: the network executives wanted the whole home wrecker matter thrown out. What a waste of devious potential. :twisted:

EDIT: There’s bits and parts of the 30 minute episode on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M3Z8grFKRA

Full episode is on iTunes… but it cost me $2 to grab.

Heh, that does sound quite fun. I agree that it was quite a waste for them to not explored such avenues, though given the time period it is quite understandable.

Sounds like it is time for an english remake!

I think there was some buzz for a movie remake, but they never fall through.

I’m sorta worried that if they do make a movie remake, it will suck. :frowning:

I think Twincest Lord Narg should make it. We should see what the licensing rights cost, and start a drive. Imagine it! Twin Jennies!

Jeannie had twin sister. She was more evil than blond Jeannie.

She was same actress as Jeannie/Barbara Eden.