I rape you, and then you fall in love with me

quote:
Originally posted by Zikten:
I've noticed quite a few games have you begin the game by raping a girl, and then afterwards, she suddenly falls madly in love with you. Is this a common fantasy in Japan? as much as I enjoyed slave paegent, I thought the premise was kindof silly. I never rape could be so romantic.....

It is something which is remarkably similiar to a great deal of Victorian erotic literature.

Nice girls don't. But if she is forcibly violated, it's not her fault. Thereafter, when she gets sexual urges, she's not to blame, because she isn't the one who started matters; having been corrupted without her consent, she's now allowed to get in touch with her sexual side.

Which, of course, is mostly nonsense.

In Victorian society, a woman whose virginity ahd been lost, even by rape, would have been a social pariah.

Likewise in Japan, sexual assaults are vastly under-reported, with victims staying silent out of shame (although virginity is not nearly as big a deal in Japan as it was in Victorian society; the key in Japan is not the loss of virginity, but the public attention).

So you have the same similiar situation, women who are confronted with their sexuality, being deterred due to societal pressures to report their assaults, which results in their being placed into their assaulter's power.

Victorian literature was more willing (though not always) then allowe the woman to revel in the joys of sex, since it wasn't her fault that she is now a soiled dove.

That exists in Japanese games and literature as well: Slave Pageant is a n example,

SPOILER!

As the girls end up in charge in the end, although this is more of a sop to that concept than a natural evolution.

END SPOILER!

But more often we see the raped woman becoming a slave to passion, living only for sex, being addicted to sex, and having no control over herself.

While this level of trauma can happen in real life, the matter of fact way that this is presented in anime and games shows a total divorce from reality.

These are all generalizations, of course, and there are exceptions all over the place.

But rape in a bishojo game gives the female character an "excuse" to partake of either her own sexuality, or it turns her into a mind-number slave to ecstasy.

quote:
Originally posted by Velspie:
What? That never happens to you guys?

Sure, all the time. It -- what? Oh, happens to?

Uh, no.

quote:
Originally posted by Velspie:
What? That never happens to you guys?

No, unfortunately I've never really had a girl force herself on me, though I continue to hope...

Well there was this time when this Minnesota bishoujo (is 'bishoujo' a noun?) attacked me mercilessly while I was so blown away with a 100-degree-plus flu that I was, for all practical porpoises, shitfaced drunk, but...
That was...pretty cool, actually. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Gromit (edited 11-22-2005).]