If one minute reviews were complete, would long reviews

This has of course been nagging me in the back of my mind, and it has been brought to my attention also from my fellow reviewers. I wanted to provide my review website as a community resource where many can chime in with their own opinion of a certain title, and allow the readers to formulate their own opinion. This is why the only games that have one minute review completed are mine, because my reviewers review far newer titles in general, as well as titles I have not yet required. The one minute review cannot replace the breadth of the regular long reviews, which usually takes no more than 6 or 7 minutes to complete reading, but if the short ones turn my website into no more than sound clips, I would much rather dispense with the ambiguous star ratings, perhaps dispensing with the one minute reviews altogether. Chime in with your thoughts.

Given a choice of short and long reviews, would you:

A. Read long reviews first, short reviews later

B. Read short reviews to get a jist, then read the long reviews

C. Read only short reviews

Vote A, B, or C, and if you must give a reason, please keep it within 2 sentences, absolutely no more than 2 sentences to keep this thread from devolving into another idle chat.

C. If given a choice between reading one long review and many short ones, I will definitely go for variety. Reviews by nature are pretty subjective stuff and by readign lotsa input, I can better understand the general idea of the game and if it’s suitable for me.

This is much better than reading one long review cauz in the end, all I get is a single person’s point of view which may or may not align with my interest.

Probably B since it’s nice to have indepth reviews of games you are seriously planning to get but the short ones are easier to read and may hook the reader. Of course this is from a person who practically buys every bishoujo game that’s out in the Us along with some imports that he can’t eve read

I read reviews when I’m bored, or when I’m deliberately seeking out as much information as possible. So I pick (and, while I’m on the subject, create)

D) - exhaustively read ALL reviews, usually in the order they’re posted

In this case, both long and short reviews are good to have, because they have different strengths in terms of the kind of information they can convey about the show (edit: or, in this case, game).

…sorry, it was a bit longer than a few sentences.

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 10-07-2003).]

B. Short first to see if it’s my kind of game; if it is, then longer immediately afterwards to find out more.

I’d have to go with B.

------------------
“His last thought is wry, Not bad for a dead man.” Moon Knight vol.1, #1 (1980)

B) Like someone else pointed out, short reviews give you a starting point, but longer ones can help iron out final decisions.

A - I at least have often found that the longer reviews contain the best information and by far more useful information then the smaller reviews even if it often gets obscured in long writings.

I think “B” is the most logical!!!

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
A - I at least have often found that the longer reviews contain the best information and by far more useful information then the smaller reviews even if it often gets obscured in long writings.

If you already have read the long review would you read the short review ?? I think Not!! NO ONE would do this because the long review already has more information, and reading the short one would just tell you the same things but with less details!!!

quote:
Originally posted by dexter:
I think "B" is the most logical!!! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

If you already have read the long review would you read the short review ?? I think Not!! NO ONE would do this because the long review already has more information, and reading the short one would just tell you the same things but with less details!!! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Actually I would, or might provided how much time was available, I have found the more sources you have to turn to, the better informed decision you can make, even if that decision is to ignore the reviews and go it alone, you have had many varying view points to base that decision on, and that is why I would read both long and short reviews.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 10-30-2003).]