I'm glad J-list supports Illegal patches to get more money!

http://www.jlist.com/product/PCG3036

“Note: an English fan translation project is in advanced stages of completion for this game, which is producing a patch compatible with this version. Get your copy now and enjoy the game in English!”

Supporting Illegal patches to get more money you guyz are so funny!

____>

yawn

Sorry, were you trying to make a point?

Naw I just found it funny they would do that when the creators don’t approve of it.

This thread makes my head hurt for some reason…

It’s as bad as these misleading political commercials that air non-stop…

edit … ohh I didn’t know the store got redesigned, looks nice.
thanks for this thread to get me to look :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I don’t exactly see the problem. If J-List has paid for the stock copies and sells them would it really matter if someone who bought the copy applied the patch or not? Why would the original creators care at this point, they still sold their game.

reminds me of my economic lectures. If both sides can be better off in benefiting from trading, sure, why not?

1. Buyer buys the game and applies english patch - he’s happy

2. Seller sells the game and got $ = profit = they’re happy

mm so…whats the points ?

Illegally downloading J-list english games= Bad
Selling game promoting illegal patch that has a chance to never be done=Good

I’d be mad if I listened to them and had no idea about tlwiki and the patch never comes out.

Tubesock- Most of them do care hence C&D shit.

It’s slightly dodgy to actively promote an unofficial patch as a selling point unless you have strong reason to believe it will be finished and not pulled by the creators, yes… of course, it’s always possible that they know the creators don’t care.

Sorry but I find more disturbing the fact that my Firefox browser doesn’t like the new JList site:

[attachment=1]JList_MyIE6.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]JList_MyFirefox.JPG[/attachment]

Because I doubt that IE6 is more advanced than its counterpart, this means I’m doing something wrong (again :cry: :cry: :cry: )…

as long as j-list doesn’t link to the patch the worst the companies can do is pull the games from jlist

Works fine for me in Firefox (latest mainline version, no add-ons/extensions). I’d guess look at stuff that might be blocking the cart; possibly things like noscript or flashblock.

I don’t think they can. First sale doctrine; those copies now belong to J-List, which can sell them to whomever it wants.

This part I understand. But wouldn’t that only apply to pirated copies? Since this game - and most if not all H-games - are created without the intention of being sold in other countries of course the creator would be upset about pirate localizations that steal their possible future revenue. But if they sell the copies first, and then it just so happens a translated patch is made free of production fees, then they are making money outside their demographic. So why would they complain at this point if they can squeeze out a couple extra sales at no loss to themselves?

It’s pretty much exactly the same as what Mangagamer did back in AX. You know, when they sold disk copies of Umineko at their stand and provided buyers with information on how to download the English patches?

Whoop-dee-fucking doo, how about giving more substance to your argument? You know, explain as to why it’s even so illegal in the first place if the Japanese company isn’t even saying anything? You’re not the one to decide whether a C&D is warranted.

What is your point?

They had permission to do that…
And once again advertising a patch that has a chance not to be finished would surely piss some people who wasted 100 bucks on it.

@Sock dude
Nephrinn was making norn more money but they still sent him a C&D.

My point is an official company should not support this for more money to make a profit.

But whatever, bai bai

Umineko is different, since Witch Hunt’s translation has been acknowledged and approved by 07th Expansion. Their patch is the official translation.

It’s a bit odd to promote a fan translation patch that isn’t even out yet (fan translation being notoriously unreliable). That said, it’s the Japanese companies’ job to police their IPs, not your’s. If they don’t cry foul, then essentially there’s no foul. Much better that interested fans buy the game and apply the patch than apply a patch to a pirated copy. People are capricious–I’m sure there’s people out there that would impulse buy a copy before patch release, yet would just as quickly pirate the game on impulse on patch release and never think twice about buying the game later. To a large extent, it’s probably more effective sales-wise to promote an English patch in a place where people buy stuff, then link to a place where people buy stuff from a place largely frequented by pirates(the site of the fan translation group and sites hosting the patch).

Anyone considered that Jlist may have contacted them about an official license? The company may be fine with translation patches but not want an official license.

Edit:

Other games are listed that have complete translation patches but they don’t have the mention of a translation patch. Furthering the thought that Jlist/Jast were interested in an official license but the creator’s were not, but have instead allowed the translation patch.

The main one that stuck out to me: http://www.jlist.com/product/PCG0794
Sengoku Rance

1. That was done at the Hobibox section of the MG booth.
  2. The Witch Hunt Translation is Fully sanctioned and approved by the rights holders, and they are even working with Hobibox for distribution of the games.
    So in this case, it is a perfectly legal partnership with proper permissions had by all parties involved, and they’re still working together for the release of upcoming chapters as well.

I can guarantee you they aren’t getting permission from the official companies. Few probably caught it, but when J-list first posted ef on their website, they had the usual tag-line about an English patch. You don’t see that line there anymore.

Like it or not, unsanctioned fan-translation patches are copyright violations. J-list is promoting these patches to sell the Japanese originals. Promoting these patches is equivalent to the promotion of copyright infringement. As a result, should any of the companies whose games are being promoted in this way find out that J-list is doing so, they are within every right to take legal action against J-list for encouraging and advocating copyright infringement of their intellectual properties.

It’s a very sketchy business practice basically founded on the idea that “they won’t notice…”

Correct. Though they would be able to take legal action against J-List, they could not take the copies themselves away from J-List nor prevent J-list from selling them.

I’m not sure. They don’t actually LINK to the patch at any point, right? To me this is akin to those perfectly legal stores selling the glass pipes used and designed for the drug ‘ice’. They are sold precisely for this reason, but they don’t sell you anything illegal and they don’t tell you where to get it.

Besides, none of the international conventions I’m aware of feature anything about the promoting of copyright infringement, although I am open to correction, not being an expert in international law.

Unsanctioned fan translations are illegal in most cases… but putting just this statement on a hard to find page would be grounds for legal action? Seriously? (you have to actually go to the product page and find the note; not a news article or seperate section or list)

Maybe it’s not professional, but illegal? Any company that takes legal action on an ambigious snip of info such as this case in point… is instantly banned from my money, forever.