Interesting E3 2010 Stuff

That is a bit suprpising that its this early. A lot of experts didn’t expect new consoles (outside of an HD upgrade for the Wii) to begin until 2013 at the earliest because of pressure from 2nd and 3rd party (mostly 2nd) software developers. Either developers aren’t selling enough of their Wii games or Nintnedo feels confident enough that its success with they can force those developers along. Of course one releases that Nintendo tried the latter and it failed for them before-N64-but Sony has been able to recover from a similar episode.

It appears it’s for 3D technologies. Nintendo’s CEO believes that 3D gaming is the future, is confident the 3DS will utterly dominate the handheld market to scare everyone else away, and that Nintendo’s next console should be the same. Presently 3D technology for console gaming isn’t cheap or easy. Nintendo’s plan is either to wait until 3D TV’s are more common place, or produce a console with the CPU power to render 3D games on the fly.

Don’t expect it any time until after 2013. I suspect that “working on it” basically translates to “figuring out how it will work”.

They have to start working on it now in order to have something ready to go by the time they actually want to release it. They can’t just slap something together a couple months before the system launch, it takes years - they have to finalize the design of the system, and then they have to get launch titles prepped. All of that takes time.

Well…I’m not quite optimistic as their CEO. Yes, there is a future for it, but there are several major drawbacks to it including costs, both from hardware and software development, some people having issues both physically and majestically, and it does not work with all types of games and especially those people tend to play on handhelds.

For certain games, yes I’d really love 3D. I don’t really see stuff like a new Ace Attorney games getting much boost from 3D, 2D fighters and a lot of the tactical RPGs wouldn’t get much out of such to name a few.

I realize that. I wasn’t saying this is what I said. I’m saying that this is what the industry experts have said. That doesn’t mean they’re always right, but I’m certain they realize something like that.

Given that the technology already exists (Blu-ray players can with the right telivisions now display 3D with a single screen) I would expect it sooner, but not before 2012.

The Warhammer 40,000 MMO has finally sprung forth as Dark Millennium Online. http://www.darkmillenniumonline.com/
I’m not sure how I feel about this, although the idea of watching Titan’s stomp around from a grunt’s perspective is somewhat appealing.

Natsume has a PDF of their E3 brochure, on their site for download:

http://www.natsume.com/news/news_pdffil … ochure.pdf

While I’m not keen on everything, it’s not bad for a third rate company, eh?

Gabrielle’s Ghostly Groove seems to have gathered a lot of positive preview articles, for being addictive and perky goth cute. In case someone is scratching their heads, over which Japanese title it’s ported from… it’s not: Natsume made this - the same people who did Cheer We Go. Although GGG appears actually be for a larger demographic (or at least the gothier ones). Japanese version will be released the same day as the American version. I think this one will likely be a winner: it has the kawaii presentation down. :o

EDIT

Natsume is counting on you to not pirate… cause if there’s no Natsume, you won’t get your farming groove. :o

Nintendo’s official 3DS list, hosted on Nintendo’s own server:

http://press.nintendo.com/E32010/3DS/FA … es_3DS.pdf

Login: E32010
Password: nintendo

Check it out before they pull it off. No… I’m not hacking or breaking any NDA. Honest. :lol:

I know E3 is over, but I figured I’d just keep using this thread.

Shigeru Miyamoto - the creator of Mario and Zelda and others - just announced at the Nintendo Shareholders Conference, he intends to create a new game series from scratch, because he’s tired of “recycling” sequels and remakes.

Praise Shigeru-sama! Deliver unto your faithful followers, a game that will bask in your glory! Holy. Holy. Holy.

\o/

Ya, he really needs to deliver, to show everyone that new ideas are not only welcome, but can be profitable. Half the sequels out there could have been added as DLC on the previous version of the game.

That isn’t necessarily always bad. (See the other thread about the “we want more” feeling that good VNs, etc can get.) Sometimes more of the same is still entertaining. Now, if this goes on too long then yes, you can get stagnation … look at the JRPG. I’d argue the JRPG mold needs a fundamental shakeup, that it’s still too much based in the tropes associated with its descent from FF and Dragon Quest 1.

It’s like one of the God of War 3 people said in a Game Informer interview … “I came on board for part three of a trilogy. That is not the time to change things up and potentially alienate all your fans.”

Well he could always make Humping Robot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or better yet… :lol:

I find myself asking if I really want to know what that second video is about…

It’s one of those Hard Gay titles:

http://muscle.namco-ch.net

There’s a relatively sizable market for them in Japan. :lol:

Though to be honest… hard gay isn’t that bad… the guy who invented it, is married to this babe…

…so yea… :stuck_out_tongue:

There actually have been a lot of changes since FF1 and DQ1 if you actually care to go back to play those games you’ll see. Yes, some things remain, like going into people’s houses and ransacking their belongings, 1-2 line NPCs wandering towns, but those aren’t the type of thing that make or break a game; neither FF1 nor DQ1 had much in the way of character depth or cutscenes that JRPGs have been come to be known for.

I’d argue they’ve advanced more than their counterparts in the west which still rely heavily on D&D-style (loosely defined) mechanics for battles. Even titles like Morrowind are still rooted in those fundamentals. Furthermore just as much as JRPGs are about telling a story and character development at the expense of choice, western RPGs are about giving choice at the expense of a cohesive narrative and flat characters with generic dialogues.

Role-playing video games need a good shakeup all around like maybe looking at non-battle mechanics as just as if not more important.

Side note: I wouldn’t really call the latest FF an RPG either. It’s an action-adventure with RPG elements.

Tactics Ogre getting a reboot remake on the PSP

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180492

Not a fan of the series… but seeing how the PSP lacks decent games anyways, I might bite.

I just hope they don’t water down the storyline. In TO you made some sometimes very visaral decisions often based on how it would play for political advantage and had a lot of ends justifying the means type scenerios. This element was toned down even among the villains in the FFT spinoff titles.