Japanese B-games

I guess I should not be surprised it is not the only route, I just thought it was some sort of unwritten tradition that almost all followed. Good to know actually it is not the only route.

Haibane Renmei is avaliable in R1?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 04-13-2004).]

Why Region 1? Don’t have a region-free player? I know I do, though I didn’t set it up as one yet.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
I guess I should not be surprised it is not the only route, I just thought it was some sort of unwritten tradition that almost all followed. Good to know actually it is not the only route.

It's done being released already.

quote:

Haibane Renmei is based on the Yoshitoshi Abe doujinshi. There's a review of it included with the R2 release. According to AOD, there are several interesting R2 extras.
quote:
There is a very large art gallery with character, prop and location drawings, some of the items used in the show, and a drawing of the city. There are three extra videofs one is the text less opening, a preview for the second episode, and the other a short TV ad. The first press of this volume had several extra goodies. There is a postcard sized drawing of Rakka sitting on a roof, and a collectible card with a picture of Hikari, complete with a glow in the dark Halo. Also included was a bonus CD for the PC. On this CD is a 3D character program, and the character data for all the main characters of the show. You are able to manipulate the characters and watch them dance. Having never seen an extra like this I found myself having a lot of fun with moving the characters around.
If it includes the CD, I was thinking of ordering COG.1 from cdjapan just for the extras since it's priced at $18.56. This volume contains just ep 1, and there is no sub or dub, but I already have the R1 set. Volumes 3 and 4 are currently available through RightStuf's 20%-off sale.

quote:

While alot of anime is based of manga, that's not always the case as sometimes the anime comes first then the manga ie Escaflowne which actually spawned both an shonen and shoujo manga, I think Cowboy Bebop was also an anime first but not sure. Other times they come out at the same time, and some has no manga counterpart.
The main reason a lot of anime is based off of existing manga is because producers already know there's a fanbase for the series. Kinda like how many of our movies are based off of popular books and comics.

I couldn’t remember which thread was talking about To Heart. Anyway, with ADV releasing the To Heart manga, you think there’s the possibility of them acquiring the anime license for the show? I know it’s not a near certain thing, because I know ADV owns the Figure 17 mangas, but Media Blasters owns the rights to the anime. Anyway, what do you guys think?

I got the To Heart manga, and it seems weird that the keep in Akari’s “Hiroyuki-chan”, but replace Multi’s “Ahhh, Hiroyuki-san!” for “Ahhh, Mr. Hiroyuki!” which is the more famous of the two. Anyway, I’m just rambling.

------------------
精神 の 神

[This message has been edited by Seishin (edited 04-14-2004).]

I hope ADV can get the rights to release the To Heart anime for two reasons. One I would like to see it and two I like how ADV releases DVD’s . I think there is a good chance it will be released sometime in the near future, probably around the time book 3 or 4 comes out, just a guess on my part but it’s this feeling I have, so let’s see if it’s right.

Well, for me, the fact that Comic Party was released gives me hope that To Heart will get licensed later on. Ahh, who knows?

It’s always fun contrasting the manga to the anime. (And at least we can do that now.) Not quite sure if I prefer reading the manga first then watching the anime or the reverse. (See, Seishin-san isn’t the only rambler around here… )

You think the ‘tease’ or parody aspect of Comic Party will spur them to release To Heart eventually?

Possible Spoiler

Such as the opening scene from the first CP episode?

Well I’m hoping for an eventual release of To Heart anime. Maybe they can get that along with the new To heart that’s set to air in japan later this fall

If they are airing a new To Heart anime was the first only 13 episodes and this is sort of the long awaited second season? Or is this a whole new show with the same characters?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 04-15-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
(See, Seishin-san isn't the only rambler around here... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] )

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Know when to just walk away. Oh wait, you said rambler. Sorry. [img]http://seishin.webspace4free.biz/ab/cowboyab.gif[/img]

------------------
精神 の 神

That would be sweet if To Heart’s anime gets a US release. Would that make it easier for the PC game to get licenced by Peach Princess or G-collections? I know people have mentioned that Konami has refused to let Tokimeki Memorial be translated into English but what is Leaf’s stance on their games? Did they refuse, or have PP and GC not tried to make contracts with them yet?

quote:
Originally posted by Seishin:
You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Know when to just walk away. Oh wait, you said rambler. Sorry.

The one time I sang that song at karaoke, none of my friends knew it. They are so deprived...

Lord I was born a ramblin' man
Tryin to make a livin and doin' the best I can
When it's time for leavin I hope you'll understand
That I was born a rambling man

Er, sorry, got distracted. Hmm, I think both the 'tease' and parody aspect from Comic Party would help. Or at least drive some further interest towards To Heart. It should at least get some people curious as to who characters like "Multi" are, why they're popular. After all, it does help the pursuit of a title license if there's a strong local interest in it.

As for if the anime release would make it easier for the PC game to be licensed, my personal opinion is not really. Mainly because you're talking about different markets. Anime has become more or less a proven market here while bishoujo games havn't and the To Heart anime was made for a more general audience while the PC game is still an adult title. Don't know for sure if PeaPri or G-Col. has approached Leaf but I heard rumors that Leaf had been approached in the past to get their games translated and turned people down. But that's just a rumor, I don't know for a fact as to who's done what.

I hate to say it but I think if anything it might harm getting the game out. Some people will have these characters seen in a particular way, and anime and manga even for ‘older teens’ is a far cry from bishoujo games. In some ways seeing the characters make that much of a change is probably harder for people to take going from the anime/manga to a game(regardless of which actually came first in the Japanese market) then the other way around based on the way things seem to happen so far over here, just my opinion on the matter.

quote:
I know people have mentioned that Konami has refused to let Tokimeki Memorial be translated into English but what is Leaf's stance on their games?

WHAT?!
Tokimeki Memorial is known worldwide, merchandise of it is sold worldwide, but they DON'T let their game be translated into English?! I'm baffled. How stupid.

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 04-16-2004).]

Not sure anyone has any solid info yet on what the new To Heart anime will be. At least I haven’t found any info other than a planned sept-oct TV release. Guess we’ll have to wait til closer to the air date to get more details.

As for anime comming out here in R1 helping to get the game released here also, I don’t think it has any effect at all. If it did Sakura Taisen would have been localized already Probably most companies think that synergy of anime and games are not strong enough for them to bring the games over. Heh didn’t figure I’d have much use of the things I learned in my Comm class years ago

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
WHAT?!
Tokimeki Memorial is known worldwide, merchandise of it is sold worldwide, but they DON'T let their be translated into English?! I'm baffled. How stupid.

Konami seems to have weird attitudes towards games which are traditionally popular only in Japan. The situation is the same for Policenauts. Despite campaigns to get it translated, Konami steadfastly refuses to do so. I have heard rumors as to why this is, but who knows the real reason.

[This message has been edited by dco_chris (edited 04-16-2004).]

http://www.konami.com/main/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001355

Here was a thread about Tokimeki Memorial on Konami’s BBS and and answer from one of their moderators. If you ask me, I think they made the right business decision by not bringing TM over. Also, their Metal Gear forum is the most active out of all their game forums which I think says something about what these gamers want or don’t want.

I don’t agree. Like I said, this game is known to many people, who also buy merchandise related to this game.