Japanese pc games question

since himeya won’t give me an answer i thought i’d give u guys a try…
.i don’t speak japanese…would love to learn it though… the question i need an answer for is there a program that would translate a japanese game as i play it on my pc?

of course i’d hald to follow the instructions on himeya’s site of how to reprogram windows xp to this:by setting up Windows XP to display Japanese text.

I don’t know of any program … but I am currently in the middle of learning Japanese at the moment and I am using the Pimsleur Programs that is verry easy to learn. It doesn’t teach the writing but it does an excellent job at teaching you speach. You mentioned wanting to learn a language … if you buy all 3 cources a total on 90 lessons … and you are able to do the one lesson a day like it says you can then you will about fluent in 90 days. I won’t say fluent since I havn’t finnished it yet. And forgive me guys if I am not suppose to post this here, sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by starscream415:
since himeya won't give me an answer i thought i'd give u guys a try...
.i don't speak japanese...would love to learn it though... the question i need an answer for is there a program that would translate a japanese game as i play it on my pc?

Dude, there is no program like that out there. If there was, then few on these boards would've bothered to learn Japanese.

If you're _desperate_ thorugh, there are a few tools that might help you:
1. the tools called "Text hooker". Links to them int his thread:
http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002251.html

2. The tool called JWPce. It works as a dictionary, among other things and might help: http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/japanese.html

3. And finailly, the translation tool on Excite's site. There is no perfect translation tool - many times, the translation will sound like gibberish, but Excite's still the best tool arund I know of for translating japanese to english:
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/

I DO recommend learning japanese instead of relying on these tools only through...

Text hooker and a decent translation program work quite well, actually. Without knowing any Japanese beyond what I picked up from watching anime, I was able to sort of understand games that weren’t too complex. My current knowledge of Japanese (almost 3 non-intensive courses) is a great complement to what the translator can provide: I can translate the colloquial spoken dialogue that the translator has trouble with, and the translator does well with the grammatically complex descriptions that give me trouble. Of course I’m not going to get much out of games with complex stories, but I do well with the basic stuff, and I’m learning some kanji as I go.

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
Text hooker and a decent translation program work quite well, actually. Without knowing any Japanese beyond what I picked up from watching anime, I was able to sort of understand games that weren't too complex. My current knowledge of Japanese (almost 3 non-intensive courses) is a great complement to what the translator can provide: I can translate the colloquial spoken dialogue that the translator has trouble with, and the translator does well with the grammatically complex descriptions that give me trouble. Of course I'm not going to get much out of games with complex stories, but I do well with the basic stuff, and I'm learning some kanji as I go.

I'm not saying they do not work, I'm just saying they're not very reliable as a permantent solution. Especially not if you're not planning to learn Japanese. Besides, when translating, the translations can sometimes come out quite wrong too, giving you the wrong impression of what's going on. Furthermore, as you say, a translation tool's not very helpful with more complex stuff - but for simpler stuff, sure...

And again: If you do not plan to learn japanese, you're in something of a difficult spot, because what the translation tool cannot help you with, your own knowledge in japanese may. They can complette each other and make it easier that way...

you can simply learn the kanji, as most games uses them alot (they are meant for 18+ audience) if you can understand the kanji part you can guess the rest without too much problem.