Just finished

wow i just finished playing kimi ga nozomu eien and i got to say that this game is marvellous as their graphics, sounds and character expressions rock. the storyline is very long and if i understand japanese, i would die a happy man. It is nice to see how the anime tries to follow as closely as possible to the game as possible like the part where haruka’s accident leads to the introduction of the theme music, both the anime and the game does this. well my point is does anyone agree with me that japanese b-games’ standards are wayyyyyyy better than those of english b-games? i personally think so that the majority of the japanese b-games are much better.

Well, there’s a much wider selection of games in Japan because the industry is much bigger. We only get a small sampling, and not necessarily a sampling of only the best because many successful b-game companies see no need to venture into the English market. Also, games with large amounts of text (i.e. story-oriented games) are less likely to be translated because well…there’s lots of text.

However, that doesn’t mean I’m happy about it…

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 10-14-2004).]

Also keep in mind that there’s often a big gap between Japanese releases and the corresponding English releases. You’re bascially seeing b-games appearing on the English market that are 2+ years old on the Japanese market. Meanwhile, in Japan they’ve already come out with newer and better-looking games.

That’s depressing for me cause I can’t read japanesse. Anyone have an estimate how long it takes to learn japanesse to a decent level where I can read/understand? I’ve seen classes but generally its like Year 1 jap then Year 2 then 3rd year is like learning on japan culture itself I think.

I studied Spanish in school for about 6 years (not intensively–about 1 course a year). At this point, with some effort I can get the gist of most written Spanish. I’m talking about basic to intermediate Spanish though…not the stuff from well-written novels.

Japanese is supposed to be significantly harder than Spanish for an English speaker to learn. You also have to consider that games like Kimi Ga would probably use a lot of high-level vocabulary and complex sentences that you wouldn’t see used in everyday Japanese speech. All in all, I would suspect you’d need at least a couple years of intense study before you could truly appreciate such games. And that’s probably an underestimation.

But there’s probably others here that could tell you better than I could.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 10-14-2004).]

oh my goodness…that is so scary. I always has this idea that spanish is harder than japanese and after looking at what u said i am totally freaked out. Guess we have to submit to ur fate and faithfully stick to english b-games. just pray that one day we can get to play all these great japanese games in english (fingers crossed)

quote:
Originally posted by warmaid:
I always has this idea that spanish is harder than japanese and after looking at what u said i am totally freaked out.

Spanish harder than Japanese? Lol. Japanese has an entirely different "alphabet," if you can even call it that. The Spanish alphabet is basically the same as the English alphabet. There's also many words in English that are based off of Spanish (or Latin) words. The closest you get to that in Japanese is engrish. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] And that's just the proverbial tip of the iceberg...

Japanese bishoujo games better than English ones? Depends on which game you’re playing. It’s not like all Japanese bishoujo games are superior than the English ones.

Most of the bigger companies who sold great games, don’t want to risk to try the English market. And we can’t say that we don’t see why they don’t want to… Just look at the piracy.

quote:
Originally posted by warmaid:
wow i just finished playing kimi ga nozomu eien and i got to say that this game is marvellous as their graphics, sounds and character expressions rock. the storyline is very long and if i understand japanese, i would die a happy man. It is nice to see how the anime tries to follow as closely as possible to the game as possible like the part where haruka's accident leads to the introduction of the theme music, both the anime and the game does this. well my point is does anyone agree with me that japanese b-games' standards are wayyyyyyy better than those of english b-games? i personally think so that the majority of the japanese b-games are much better.

Sorry can't agree with you there. Sure there are alot of really good games in japan but there is also alot of crap. It's just that japan releases so many more bishoujo games that it seems that japan has alot more "better" games than us. I would think the ratio of good games vs crap games is the same here as it is in japan. Although I wish someone would translation Tsukihime, Yamibou ect here as they are supposedly very good games.

I studied French for three years in high school and I got Cs Ds and I finally failed out the third year. I just didn’t have much interest and I didn’t really understand it. Now that I’m in college I’ve been studying Japanese for three years, stright As, and I can speak and read Japanese at a very low level, but it’s getting there. It’ll never happen without intense study, and that’s why I intend to spend a year studying in Japan studying the language. Hopefully that will be next school year.
I surely can’t say that Japanese bishoujo games are better than the translated ones because the translated ones come from Japan. I mean, there is a Japanese version of Water Closet. Ugh. But I do agree, for sure, that the best games have not been translated. I have several Japanese games that are way better than any of the English games. So what does that mean? It just means the market is too small to get the good games here right now. If we continue to support English bishoujo games, along with new fans, the market should grow. I hope so.