Just played thru the LMM demo and

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Hype hype hype we need more hype let's go drink 20 cups of coffee and have some candy [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Just 20 cups of coffe? Wuss.

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
Instead, try not to expect anything at all, or not much. That way you'll enjoy each game for what it is. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Buying a game without expecting anything from it sounds to me like a brilliant method to waste money and pile up a heap of useless software...

Oh come on…
You’ll play the game, and if it’s good, you’ll enjoy it. Do this with games you want, not all games you see in a store…

Why would I want a game that I didn’t expect anything from? I want a game because I expect I’ll enjoy it.

I was more talking about putting your expectations too high

quote:
Originally posted by Lamuness:
man, you guys are a bit too hyped up about the game.......i dunno how i will react if the game doesnt turn out to your expectations when it comes out (well, its not like we can alter the game engine though)

Well, if the game is this, you have new input, now...

what do u mean by that?

Interesting link.

One could finish the game in an hour? Err…it took me at least that long to finish the demo. Still, I think you said before that the game had a ton of text, Lamuness. How could it be so short yet have so much text? Does the story branch like crazy or something?

I begin to see why you fear our expectations will trample you though, based on your own evaluation of the game. Other than the possible length issue, I’m still not deterred though. I already suspected the “sim” part was more of a visualization of what most games already do behind-the-scenes, rather than a unique gameplay element.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 10-14-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Payne:
Since the game is a huge, huge game...

Sorry, I seem to have merged Lamuness and Mr. Payne into one great administrative entity in my head. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] Anyway, the disparity still stands.

well, first i tend to be a fast reader, even in japanese, and this is a bit on the guilty side but i do have a tendency of using text skip on Hscenes when i play games.

but yes, you guessed it right. the story does branch like crazy and, one playthrough is a bit short in my opinion if you dont play “carefully” (i wonder if it’s comparable with one “regular” playthrough of snowdrop not including hitting the right spot to get the 2 heroine’s endings), but the point of the game is the replay value. You will probably blow your minds off trying to get all 11 endings and getting all the pics filled up in the CG gallery (aka finding out all the situations). this is also why we are blowing our minds off during testing. to be honest, i didn’t play the game thoroughly at all when i wrote that review eons ago, which is why you should take my old reviews with a grain of salt and which is why you should not visit that site anymore if you want accurate info :stuck_out_tongue:

given that, the main reason about my fears is that i personally wouldn’t call lmm a sim game (that’s what dave/kumiko called it back then so i guess that’s what most people here have registered in their minds). i think it’s more of a romantic fairy tale (which is also what dave/kumiko referred to back then)because the backbone of the story (semi-spoiler) is based off two folklores/tales (one western and one japanese) and i think the game’s strongest part is on the story more than the sim, that’s why i feel it’s more of a AVG/novel type game. however, people seem to be comparing it with maid’s story (or any other sim games…err, such as graduation) since they are considering lmm as a “simulation game”…well there ACTUALLY is a sim part (it’s not like we are lying) but let’s just say it wont be executed exactly the same way as you may think it would/should be in a sim game, or for the lack of a better term, it’s a good mix of avg and sim.

ultimately, it depends on how you interpret a sim game and what you expect from it. nevertheless, sim or avg, i think you guys will enjoy lmm very much. treat it like snowdrop but with hell of a lot more flexibility.

and nope, i am not peter either…we work and think differently.

Thanks for the detailed response. I think I understand what you mean about it not being a typical sim game like True Love or Maid’s Story (I haven’t played the latter, and don’t think I will. Sounds too dark). I was thinking purely of the demo when I wrote my “visualization” theory above. Now I recall seeing something resembling more of a sim element in the synopsis on PP’s main website.

Anyway, I have no problem at all with a focus on story. I’m glad the game isn’t as short as that review suggested. I do tend to read really slow, not because I can’t read faster, but because I like to fully digest the “feeling” of the situation, and everyone involved. It is kind of strange that you’re debunking your own opinion, though.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 10-14-2004).]