Just wondering?

Hi, new to the board, pleased to meet you all.

I was interested in peoples views on what makes a good bishoujo experience for them.

More specifically is it simply the story and quality of the images? Or is it because of its direct link with Japan in terms of sound, music and culture.

In other words, would it matter if the characters spoke in English or with no sound at all? Or do we prefer the audio as it is?

The reason I’m curious is because their appears to be no sign of bishoujo games being made from scratch from a western country. I suppose that as previous threads have stated, there is not the mainstream interest like there is in Japan.

Look forward to your thoughts.
Thanks everyone.
Eckker

Hey Eckker,

Welcome to the club. Anyway to answer your question, for me it is a blend of the story and of the art… but mostly the story.

Don’t get me wrong, the story needs some good artwork as well. If you don’t like the art… you might not care to hear the story. Case and point, Peach Girl has a good story, but I don’t care for the art much, so I quit reading it.

But when you blend a good story with great art, then you have a full winner. It doesn’t need sound or voices or anything. Tenkyusei (I think that’s how it’s transliterated) “Transfer Student” from JAST doesn’t have voice at all, but the story and art are very compelling. For a second example, Little Sister Kana also doesn’t have voice support, but has such a gripping story, you don’t really care.

Yes, the voice adds something to the game, but, to me, it isn’t needed. Criminy, I can remember playing those old Zork, Leisure Suit Larry, and Kings Quest games. Those used the fun that is a good story and a good adventure game to give you an enjoyable time. So for me, it is the story. Bishoujo stories tend to be considerably more mature (in thematic elements, nature, and whatnot), and well written.

Oh, as an aside, there are a handful of adult English bishoujo games. Sierra used to offer the Leisure Suit Larry games, which were tounge-in-cheeck bishoujo comedies. And Aftermath Media offers “Tender Loving Care”, which is a very erotic, mystery, thriller.

And there is one mainstream game that I would consider bishoujo, and that’s the X-box game "DOA: Extreame Beach Volleyball."

Anyway, just some quick thoughts.

Mike

hey there, eckker,

well what mike says pritty much goes for every1 (or aleased i think so),

but anyways IMHO, a good bishoujo usually follows in this order for me first in english translated games i go for story, GFX,music,Voice (i usually turn of voice and bgm [if ppl wanna ask why i kill voice think kids under 18 ^^ there a few in my house an i dun like to attract un wanting eyes] bgm well most times i dont like the music as it dont go with the game.
IF im gunna play “RAW” bishoujo games i tend to follow art,voice,BGM an forget reading (shame i cant read/understand japanese) NOTE: the only “RAW”'s i actually play are the games from studio Ego (mainly from Izumo an newer games (as they are fully voiced incl. main character)

if u want more info check out http://www.studio-ego.co.jp (japanese only) and http://shop.himeya.com (english) is where u can get most games adult and non adult (an i swear to god dont gothere unless ur wallet is lined with platinum)

Mike: ya DOAX is good, tis even better when u make a “few” mods to it ^^

TH

P.S. did i ramble on about usless stuff again??? seems to be a bad habit of mine -_-;

Welcome eckker-san.

For me, in the games, story is paramount but gameplay also factors in. I agree that Transfer Student had a good story, but certain aspects got really redundant to me and killed my enjoyment after awhile. Private Nurse is similar, great story but the annoyance of the random scenes and the difficulty it caused in getting all the images brought it down in my evaluation.

Art, voice, and music enhance the experience but aren’t as key to me. After all, I can always turn off the voice and music (ala Graduation) or focus more in on the text than the art (sorry, blanking out on an example for that one at the moment).

Anyways, once again welcome. Don’t mind the insanity…

Welcome to Peach Princess!!!

Story is the main aspect for me. Art and a smooth interface are the other two secondary factors. As long as I get these three, I’m usually never disappointed with a game.

All you Doax fans, Illusion is releasing Sexy Beach 2 which is kinda a knock off of doax.

For me, it’s mainly the story that attracts me to a b-game ^^,. good art and such is of course a plus, but not a must. About the aduio, I myself like it as it is ^^.

Oh, and welcome to the BBS :slight_smile:

Welcome to the board, eckker. Don’t mind us (me), we’re insane

Personally I’d be lying if I said the, ah, action isn’t a plus for me (you know what kind of action I’m talking about). But that’s not the main reason I at least play these games; if that were all I were interested in I could get that more easily and probably cheaper from lots of other places.

For me, a good story is the important part of these games. Snow Drop, for instance, is going to be my personal favorite.

Hey,

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

speak to you soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
For me, a good story is the important part of these games. Snow Drop, for instance, is going to be my personal favorite.

What? You mean it's not already your personal favorite! For shame! Okay I'm just kidding... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by eckker:
(...)
I was interested in peoples views on what makes a good bishoujo experience for them.

More specifically is it simply the story and quality of the images? Or is it because of its direct link with Japan in terms of sound, music and culture.

It all depends. I don't think you can easily reduce a game quality to a set of defined features. I had enjoyed games while I didn't like (much) the graphics because of the (wonderful) story; I had enjoyed games with no story (or not much) because I was loving the characters or the atmosphere.
I think a good mix between story, characters and graphics is what makes a game good.
As far as I'm concerned, that the game is voiced or not is irrelevant to the quality of the game (most of the games I love aren't voiced: I always buy the first release, before the voiced release is even thought about ^^;;;;; ), but I know some major bgamers who wouldn't buy an unvoiced game (they're being spoiled by console bgames, which are quite often voiced version of PC ones... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]).
I tend to rather go for the story (as long as I can stand the characters and the graphics), but experience showed me it's rather a criterion of choice (which game I'd play to) than a criterion of enjoyability.

[This message has been edited by olf_le_fol (edited 06-29-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Anyways, once again welcome. Don't mind the insanity... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img] Hmm? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img]