Kana ~ okaeri

From ren’ai games Yahoo! discussion group:

http://www.cd-bros.co.jp/takayashiki/

I haven’t played Kana ~ Imouto yet (is in my buying list), but based from what I have read so far, I guess I should buy it soon!

(Yeah, I know, I should post this in G-Collections board instead…)

My knowledge of Japanese is rudimentary, but does this page announce a new game called Return of Kana? If so, I know the number one title on my translation wish list!

Only if they haven’t diminished the depth of the story, which is one of the worries that has come up when discussing the prospect of sequels. It would be very easy to lose the original context and emotion of the game, and turn it into something trite in an effort to create a second Kana. Much like many movie sequels that have failed to live up to the original…

Given that the graphic shows the Xbox version of Kana, I think the site is probably referring to the imminent (and long-expected) release of the Xbox version of the game.

Heh, I can see her panties…

[This message has been edited by Darkling (edited 09-08-2004).]

Wait so is this the xbox game or a brand new pc game? If it’s a new pc game I hope g-coll translates it, eventhough I never did get all the endings to kana.

I don’t know… Like Darkling says, it’s the Xbox version of Kana that is shown in the picture, but I don’t know if Takayashiki has any direct connection to Panther for it to be referring to that particular release. I don’t read enough Japanese to tell what it specifically says, either…

Hmm, what are Takayashiki? I mean, what do they do as a company? (If they are a company?)

Considering I’ve been hearing rumblings that DO really want the Xbox version out before the end of the year - and that they may be considering licensing the rights for an anime version to be produced - I think it bodes well.

And I still don’t understand why there is an XBox version, as almost no one owns an XBox in Japan. It won’t make more sales of them either.

Probably Xbox japan is offering subsidies or kickbacks to people who develop games for the japanese xbox. Probably the only way you can get japanese publishers to make xbox games now. I wish they’d do an american of kana too

I came across this little tidbit elsewhere on the net. An Internet-enabled Kana game with the Xbox graphics and an 18+ rating? It’s certainly got my interest piqued…

quote:
Originally posted by AnimeMusouka:
Well, from what little I could understand, this game is called Kana - Okaeri! Net Connection Version and will come out in Japan on October 29th. It is also rated 18 and up, so I doubt it’s the X-Box version. The offical site said “more details to come soon.”

Mrwm?

According to this, the biggest two features for this are redone graphics and…voice acting? Wait, you mean the original version didn’t have VA? I wouldn’t know, having never played it, but it’s still a bit surprising.

And it has explicit images. I’m getting the feeling that this actually isn’t for the X-Box. If it is, then…I don’t know what to think.

Kana ~Little Sister~ was originally released in 1999, so I guess it’s not surprising that it didn’t have voice acting.

Sounds to me like they’re taking advantage of the assets created for the Xbox version - redone graphics and voice acting - and repurposing them slightly (for a PC version, I assume). It should be interesting. And if it ever gets translated into English, I know I’ll have to buy it…

Interesting that the copyright is now ‘Takayashiki R&D’, not Panther Software. I guess Takayashiki are solely responsible for Kana ~Okaeri~, sharing artwork and audio with the Xbox version. Okay, I’ll stop my guesswork now.

Personally, I really prefer the original artwork. I’m also somewhat sceptical to voice acting, mostly because a game like Kana will demand a LOT from the voice actors; if they fall short, it will ruin the entire game.

Great voice acting could definitely improve the game, but… I don’t know, it just seems like risky business to me.

I agree. ‘Kana as anime character’ doesn’t appeal to me as much as the original design for Kana. However, anything that raises awareness of the game is a good thing, in my opinion.

I’ve read that Ayako Kawasumi (a seiyuu who’s played characters like Mahoro in Mahoromatic and Aoi in Ai Yori Aoshi) plays Kana. She can put on a sweet girlish voice, and I’m fairly sure she’ll be able to do the emotional scenes justice.

I just wonder if they’ve messed with the script for the remake… gulp

Well I hope they don’t mess with it too much it was a great story. Well maybe they could put a happy ending in there instead of the sad endings

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Well maybe they could put a happy ending in there instead of the sad endings [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

* sigh *
I can understand your desire for that, but actually I think that would be "messing with the story" as well...

Haven’t you guys heard? They did put a happy ending in there. Ending 1! Well, maybe that was as close to a happy ending as they allowed themselves to get… :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.gamelex.com/e-Shop/details.php?id=7619

This link cut the head to the bull. It’s not a new one, but a restiling of the old. But i can’t read japanese very well, so it’s possible maybe - and i say MAYBE - that they changed something inside…

I think the game is perfectly affecting enough as it stands. Voice could do one of several things:

It could make the game unbearably moving to play.

It could cheapen and undercut the emotion inherent in the dramatic scenes.

It could make no change whatsoever.

Given that I’m happy with the game as it stands, I’ll only play Kana ~Okaeri~ (if it ever gets translated) for curiosity value, initially. I won’t be expecting it to surpass the original. For one thing, I don’t find the redesigned Kana to be as appealing as the original design.

[This message has been edited by Darkling (edited 11-20-2004).]

Hmm, from what I can make out, Kana ~Okaeri~ comes in two versions.

One is a collectors’ edition that comes with a clock, a mini-album, a set of coasters, a mouse pad and a 2005 calendar. It’s 8800 yen and seems to be a limited print run.

The other is 6800 yen and uses a net verification system like G-Collections’ V-Mate (that’s the ‘net-connected version’, I believe). I’m not sure if the collectors’ edition also uses net verification.

Also, I still can’t tell if the game’s actually been released or not. The release date was supposed to be November 19.

Oh, and I found this link, which seems to have samples of two new insert songs that will be included in Kana ~Okaeri~. Unfortunately, neither of them seems particularly memorable (at least, in my opinion).

http://www.cd-bros.co.jp/takayashiki/soft/kana/down.htm

The site has also been updated with voice samples for all the major characters, here:

http://www.cd-bros.co.jp/takayashiki/soft/kana/character.htm

PS: Sorry about the double post…

[This message has been edited by Darkling (edited 11-20-2004).]