Kara no Shoujo

Do they ever explain how somebody would get human body parts, or whatever it is inside of an egg without destroying the shell?

Natsume tells you

A little crack was made and the insides were replaced, then the crack was covered with some substance making the crack look like it wasn’t there. Natsume noticed the substance however and points it out to you.

Without wanting to delve into those spoilers, is it true what I’ve heard about requiring a certain bad ending before you can get the best ending?

The other thing I wanted to say is that Toko (you know which one) has quickly become one of my favourite heroines. Not only is she astonishingly beautiful, but I go totally weak-kneed at the melancholy in her voice, and how her mischievous exterior can’t quite hide the sadness inside. Like all my favourite heroines she seems like a real person. Wub.

No, its just that the bad endings give you hints to direct you towards the true ending.

Oh, okay. Thanks a lot.

Just got the true ending. I got an ending that was a variant on the true ending (where you don’t get the choice to look at the painting but you go right up to that point) and tried and tried repeatedly to get the true ending. Finally gave up and used the walkthrough. And holy crap.

I have to rate this game exceedingly high in characterization, and in crafting a decent story - I certainly would not have expected all those story elements to tie together in a way that was NOT horrifyingly cheesy, but they managed it. Not quite up to par in terms of crafting a game where it’s logical what choices lead to what. Sometimes, what happens in the game changes as a result of your choices - even though the events are not even tangentially related. Mamiya Shinzo kills his son if you go down one path. Choose the other option, and the entire sequence never happens. But when you get there both of them were already in the same place at the same time. Choosing the other choice essentially retcons this into something different.

But dammit, they killed a LOT of people in this game. And there’s no way to stop most of those murders. On the mangagamer blog, they said that not solving the murders quickly enough, or correctly, kills more people. I don’t really see that, other than in a very limited way in a few of the bad ends. (Granted, I went down the “second playthrough” route in the walkthru my first time thru the game …) Tojiko was my favorite character, and there’s nothing you can do to save her, possibly other than go thru Route 1 which is Takashiro’s wife dies, and Toko is almost certainly dead.

I still strongly recommend the game, but damn, it’s bleak. Narg, you’re always talking about the Dark Side; I’m curious what you think.

As for myself, I’ll definitely buy more Innocent Grey titles. (Isn’t there a Kara no Shoujo fandisc? Does it expand on the story, or is it a non-canon ‘what if’, or something else?) But I’d be interested to see their take on a less depressing kind of mystery.

You’re probably thinking of Nagomi Bako, which was released before Kara no Shoujo and is a fandisc for Cartagra and Pianissimo.

So whose bright idea was it to follow up Kara no Shoujo by playing Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon? That wasn’t a very good idea ¬¨_¬¨

Fortunately, I’ve already read The Road, so I can’t get tempted to go for the threepeat and read that. (If you thought Kara no Shoujo was depressing … My god, you ain’t seen nothing yet. That book is the third bleakest book I have ever read, behind only Lord of the Flies and the autobiography of a Holocaust survivor.)

Say, there’s this classic anime called Grave of Fireflies… :twisted:

Say, there’s this classic anime called Grave of Fireflies… <<

I don’t know, aside from a couple scenes I don’t think it was that bleak - over all. (In fact it was a bit hokey in some parts, especially regarding the “sibling”.) I will say, though, early in the film my roommate, with no idea what I was watching, came in just prior to the line: “Don’t worry, we’re safe here in Hiroshima!” and about choked to death on his soda.

who has seen the anime and if they have can they tell me which route it uses

Just completed the game and…to be honest it wasn’t that depressing or bleak to me. I could name several but in the game department, Arc the Lad 2 had a more depressing turn out at the end than this.

Edit: I can see how there’s going to be a sequel considering what they left open (though how are they going to get around pulling a Tales of Symphonia in the epilogue).

Also why do I keep thinking of the intro of Silent HIll 2 as how the sequel would probably start?

Regarding the sequel-I was under the impression they were going to use similar plotting and genre (serial mystery murder) but completely different characters and setting. Am I wrong? Also this game depressed the hell out of me, because no matter what you do you can only save a minor side character from death. I don’t understand why Innocent Grey didn’t create an ending where you could at least save Toko (my favorite) the main heroine of the game.

That was the issue I had with the game as well.

Errr… isn’t that supposed to be the point of those particular titles? Not all stories end happily: Romeo and Juliet for example. The tragic impact is what makes it more powerful. Things like these and netorare are supposed to generate a “negative” feeling in you.

To be honest, I didn’t think Kara no Shoujo was that depressing; I actually felt both variations of ending 4 and the true ending made for good bittersweet conclusions.

Yeah but for a VN that sets up expectations that you the player can actually influence the outcome of the story based upon how you perform the investigation-you would THINK they would create a scenario where they reward good detective work and leave at least 1 “happy” ending. Otherwise, it’s more of a point and click through to progress decision making with alternative bad endings :?

My issue isn’t with that in general. It’s that there’s very little to offset this, and MangaGamer billed the game as “if you screw up, really bad things happen … so don’t screw up” when that isn’t how it plays out at all.

Well, if you screw up, the result is considerably worse, so it’s not really wrong

Just finished it. Well, damn. I gotta agree, the protagonist’s actions matter very little in the end. But I liked it anyway. Tojiko’s murder scene was a real kick in the teeth.