Kind of a Trivia Question...

Okay, I’m going way back here, so most of you are probably too young to even remember this… but maybe you’ve read something that I haven’t been able to find…

Back when I was a wee little tyke, there were a couple of animated series that get credit in the anime history books as ground breakers in getting Japanese animation over to America. The ones I always see are namely Kimba and Speed Racer (both the American names).

When I was about five or six, I used to watch Kimba every Saturday morning, but it didn’t make much of an impression on me–I can’t remember much about the series, except that the title character could essentially be called a prototype for Disney’s Lion King. Oh, yeah… and the first two lines of the theme song, which were "Kimba… Kimba…"

Anyway… what made more of an impression on me at about the same age was another series that I am almost positive was Japanese animation, called (American title) Marine Boy. It had many typical anime elements: wierd science (Marine Boy’s special suit for moving around the water), a special weapon attack (a boomerang, in this case), the benevolent scientific genius father (who provided all the wierd science), a quasi-love interest (a mermaid, in this instance), and an animal companion (a dolphin), among other things. The artwork was typical of anime–in fact, a couple of years later, as an eight-year-old, when I had moved to California and was flipping through TV channels looking for things to watch, I settled on Speed Racer because my first thought was, “Why is Marine Boy driving around in a car?” That’s how similar the styles were. But I’ve never been able to find out anything about the series, even though I’m pretty sure it ran about as long as Kimba.

Anyone ever hear of it?

(By the way, I can still remember almost the entire theme song to Marine Boy…)

Hah! That’s it! I knew I wasn’t hallucinating… Maybe it didn’t run as long as Kimba, though, since it looks like it was only 13 episodes. It’s a pity they don’t have any pictures, though… it’d be nice to remenisce. Thanks for the link. I was positive it was anime, I just didn’t know where to go look for it…

I missed out on Gigantor and Battleship Yamato for some reason. After Speed Racer, it took me until Robotech to rediscover anime–although I had friends who were into Captain Harlock and Battleship Yamato. For some reason, I just couldn’t land my TV set on them at the right time…

For me it was G-force, man that was cool. then years later Robotech, too bad it was later on that I found out it was hacked up and chopped from 3 different series. At least that finally explained some things

Yeah… they butchered Robotech in the process of making it an American series. The only thing I have to say for it is that they at least left in some of the anime qualities… the conflicted romances, the deaths of principal characters, things like that. But I couldn’t stand the song that Minmei sang every damn week. At least when they did the movie that was based on the series (which only further butchered the plot), they left in the Japanese music for Minmei, which I quite liked.

Uh. Actually Robotech was an (un?)holy amalgamation of 3 separate shows.

Errr… wanfu2k1 said that. I think Wolfson was just referring to the Macross part of Robotech, which was the only really song heavy part. SC and Mospeada had their moments, but Macross had songs in like every episode.

Anyway, Robotech was what got me into anime in the first place. It was transformers that actually had a story and interesting people! I was really young when I watched it. And my SDC Southern Cross box just shipped! Soon I will complete my “Origins of Robotech” collection, since I already have GC Mospeada and SDF Macross.

[This message has been edited by Faust (edited 07-06-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Faust (edited 07-06-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Uh. Actually Robotech was an (un?)holy amalgamation of 3 separate shows.

Those other two things never actually happened... *prays fervently to the Shinto gods*

[This message has been edited by Wolfson (edited 07-06-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
Errr... wanfu2k1 said that. I think Wolfson was just referring to the Macross part of Robotech, which was the only really song heavy part. SC and Mospeada had their moments, but Macross had songs in like every episode.

Okay... to clarify: Yes, I am talking about the Macross portion, which was, in America, called Robotech (Calling it Macross would be confusing, since that is the title of a new series). Southern Cross was referred to as such, with Robotech slapped onto it in order to "give the series continuity" (in a pig's eye), and "Robotech the Next Generation" [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] isn't even worth mentioning. But they still slapped Robotech into the American title to... *choke*... "give the series continuity." The -real- Robotech wasn't exactly song-heavy... it just had Minmei singing that same freakin' song every @$%# episode...

You know, if you haven’t watched Genesis Climber Mospeada, I’d recommend it. I didn’t really like the “Next Generation” part of Robotech either, but the original version of Mospeada is, well… actually really good.

I dunno though, I have no will to watch Robotech again. It was cool when I was a kid, but is no longer necessary with the original versions around.

I actually kinda like the 3rd part with the transforming bikes and stuff But yeah the origional mospeada is way better. I haven’t gotten southern cross yet unfortunately. Minmei’s singing was bad no matter which version you saw

Well, yeah… mecha stuff is usually cool. Maybe if they had left everything else out but the transforming bikes, the series would have been worth watching

Like I said, I actually liked Minmei’s singing in the Macross movie… it helped that the song wasn’t cheezy, and actually rocked–she sounded like a real star. And they only had her sing a couple of times, so it didn’t leave you feeling saturated. (Of course, my exposure to the Robotech series (Macross portion) was in a marathon session of watching all of the episodes back-to-back, so the singing really got to me…)

Don’t worry the singing get’s to you even it you don’t marathon it It looks like ADV is re-releasing robotech again. This time with the cleaned up photage from Animego’s Macross, so the picture quality should be a hella lot better.

That’d be nice… I went back to watch Robotech at one point in time when I was seriously getting hooked on anime, but actually decided not to because of the picture quality that it looked like I was going to be watching–I didn’t want to see it that badly.

I guess I’m one of the younger people here because the only anime that I watched growing up were Voltron and Robotech.

The funniest thing for me actually is that the main thing I remember Robotech for was Minmei’s singing making my ears want to bleed. =PpP Even as a kid I realized that it was just that bad… it makes you wonder what the voice casters were thinking.

Well, it wasn’t just the singing… As a song writer, I can assure you that the lyrics she was singing were absolute c**p. They should have had a guy with a poop-scoop right behind her to clean the stuff up… And the melody sucked, too. The whole thing was designed to grate on the ears and nerves, and I’m sure that it could be used as a novel form of torture somehow…

You know, you don’t have to censor yourself. If you’re going to swear, go for the gold.

------------------
精神 の 神

He’s not cussing because there are ladies present. U___U DUH! =PpP

quote:
Originally posted by Princess Bleh:
He's not cussing because there are ladies present.

Huh? Where? Where? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Welcome to the PeachPrincess-BBS. Hope you can deal with our typical madness here... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Myself, I think I’m the youngest here. I’m 18, and haven’t even seen Robotech. It might partly be because I live in Europe, though. I don’t know if Robotech was ever broadcasted over here.

Welcome!

quote:
Originally posted by Princess Bleh:
I guess I'm one of the younger people here because the only anime that I watched growing up were Voltron and Robotech.

Same here but add Thundercats and remove Robotech from that list. Somewhere I recently read Thundercats was anime, should have guessed at the time and hopefully that information was correct.