Lamuness, about the newsletter

… Who’s really deciding the contents of it? I were just wondering, since the one who has the final decision on the newsletter is a little…carefree… when it comes to the usage of the word hentai. Since PP is known for trying to use the correct term for the genre (bishoujo games, not hentai games), wouldn’t it seem… kind of odd if you suddenly started to use the word hentai in such a carefree way?

I didn’t take part of the update at all this time, so don’t ask me :stuck_out_tongue:

As much as I hate to use the term hentai myself, unfortunately that’s the term people here associate with adult anime items, so it’s just a way make things a bit more “familar” to people who read it.

I vaguely remember those points in one of our other dicussions about the usage of the word. I guess the best we can do is hope that people who get interested will look at the boards and learn about the usage of the word. As well as proper Bishoujo-Goddess worship!

Actually, “Kumiko” was really the only one who cared about the (incorrect) usage of the word hentai. Hell, Peter Payne has even used it when he’s posted here.

I think we all care to one extent or another, but American lingo has way too many terminologies for which their true definition has become trite, so no need to raise a huge fit about it as far as I am concerned.

Well, i wasn’t thionking of raising a huge fit about it, but to soem people, especially those who’re beginning to ger familiar with the term “bishoujo games” might get kind of confused. Asd since the company normaly is using the term “bishoujo games”, I throught it was a strange thing to say in the newsletter.

Well, now that I think about it…the Japanese do the same thing to the English language. Take the V-for-victory sign, or their appropriation of the word pants. So, partially in reply to that thread where someone said he could pull up instances on Japanese web sites where the Japanese are whining about the word hentai being spread among the gaijin…they do the same thing as well; I think all cultures do.

So really, the word “hentai” now means two different things in Japanese and English. If we succeed in drawing a distinction between “hentai” and “bishoujo games” (and by extension “bishoujo anime”, then “bishoujo game” will probably take on a distorted meaning as well, because its meaning will by necessity be affected by hentai’s distorted “translation”.