Little help - web/forum hosting server

Making a long story short: I’m an user in another forum that is suffering a lot of downtimes recently (we had similar problems in the past with other hosting servers as well), and we’re about to migrate (again), but we are unsure about a good server that is going to be stable and bug/extended maintenance periods free.

I’d like to know if someone could point me a reliable and with a high bandwidth limit (1.5/2TB+/month). We don’t need huge storage space, about 8-10GB (or less) is fine. We are just going to transfer our forum’s database (somewhat big) and a simple webpage (we need SQL and FTP acess). Thanks :smiley:

Personally I’ve only used two hosting services.

Globat and GoDaddy.

Generally speaking, Globat seems to offer more than GoDaddy, but it as a few issues. First off, Globat doesn’t allow things like loli content and whatnot (so I couldn’t host Eroge Review on it). The second issue I have, is they “automatically charge your card” with various deals they seem to cookup once every three months or so. If you don’t go to a cancellation link, they go through with it. While these deals are kinda cool, I think that’s a scam in principle. So I don’t recommend them. Stay away from Globat… they auto-charge ya. :evil:

Currently using GoDaddy… which has generally been favorable overall (and allows loli), but GoDaddy has these automated scripts on the admin control panel that creates folders and files that you can’t delete without contacting GoDaddy directly. They take about 24 hours to get trouble tickets cleared - so its not all that bad. However GoDaddy kinda treats their users like children… so there’s some limits on how customizing you can get with the SQL and things like that.

I REALLY HATE how GoDaddy does email though. You gotta pay extra for it… well… decent email service at least.

I’ve checked out GD’s plans, but i got somewhat puzzled at their “3x200MB MSSQL” quota (although i think our server DB run in MySQL). We will probably end not using the e-mail feature, since it have a very low quota. A direct SQL interaction would be nice, since we make a lot of changes into the forums DB and features.

BTW, your plan is a normal hosting one or you have a dedicated machine?

Thanks for the tips. :wink:

both myself and shingo have our personal sites hosted at dreamhost.com

Ya know, now that Lamuness mentions it… I’ve heard a lot of good things about Dreamhost. Some of my friends keep telling me to switch to them. Personally I’ve never had any experience with them, but the “word on the street” sounds good. And given the content on Shingo’s site, I guess loli is fine too. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for hosting plans, I use normal hosting. Dedicated is too expensive for me. Plus I really don’t need that much dedicated bandwidth or processing power for a mere SQL blog. Only generate like 400 to 500 visits per day.