Little voices

Well, I’ve been having a good old time with the Snow Drop game that I got for Xmas. Can’t say the same for the rest of the Bamboo family, however. Just the other day I was playing a game here at the computer and the Wife in the other room shouted: " Turn off the sound!" She doesn’t mind me playing these h-games, but she hates to hear those uhs and ohs. But the little voices are half the point of the game, as far as I’m concerned. I started thinking, tho, what is it like for the voices actresses who make these sounds. What must be going through their heads when the director hands them a script and says: “Okay Ausuka, here’s your lines.”
Ausuka: “Oniichan! Chinchin wa, mo ii so desu. Totemo nagai desu! Dame! dame!”
I guess it must take a certain amount of intestinal fortitude to speak those silly lines and make all those squeaky sounds. And I wonder if there’s a hierarchy among voice actresses in Japan. Are voice actresses in anime considered a higher class than those who work in bishoujo? Or does it matter, at all? A long time ago, I saw a Bandai OAV called Gall Force. It wasn’t a bad anime, but seems to be largely forgotten. The thing is, tho, is that after the main story ended, there was a square-up reel on the tape that depicted anime versions of the voice actresses arriving at work, changing into their costumes (? – must be Method voice acting), and acting out scenes from the movie in front of a crew of male degenerates (everyoen who works in anime are otaku, of course). It was actually pretty funny in an in-group humour sort of way. Later on, the same group got into a dune buggy race with the Knight Sabers. It was a faux fantasy behind the scenes look at anime. But I wonder what it’s reaaly like.

Voice actresses who voice anime seem to be in a higher class than the ones who do bishoujo games, based on the fact that in the anime credits, they mention their real name, and some fake name in bishoujo game credits.

That does make sense as VA for videogames is seen as lower than VA for other media in the US. Although, with the rise in popularity of a few games, that has been changing.

[ 01-21-2007, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Jinnai ]

It’s more or less that VA’ing might get a lot of fame, but not a lot of money (so I understand). So if you are not that famous, you might need the money enough to grit your teeth and fake an orgasm on camera.

Yeah… I agree…to using headphones…as to not to bother others.
Well, unless you’re sharing those sounds with someone… :roll:

I’m more concerned with how these women view men. Especially the ones that do the voices for rape games.

With a lot of these games the male characters aren’t voiced, which probably makes it a lot easier to keep a clear head and not get personally outraged while you’re screaming in fake pain. :slight_smile:

Anyway, it’s just acting. If someone is there acting the part of your tormentor, it might sometimes have the risk of some of the emotion you’re acting transferring onto the individual in front of you. But in general? It’s ACTING. It means nothing. It’s only going to freak someone out if they’re approached by a man in real life who thinks that because they act in rape games, they really want to be raped…

Yeah, it is acting. But the fact that they know they are involved in something that is a fantasy for at least enough people to make the game profitable must make a lot of them jaded. Especially if they are hired to do a scene involves some sort of abnormal sexual behavior that grosses them out.

Anime seiyuu jobs are higher prestige, but the erogame jobs generally have base pay of about twice what the anime jobs give out.

That’s why you’ll see famous anime seiyuu still taking on those kinds of jobs.

I think maybe soem VA mgiht start out in ero games and then move up to anime.

Asakawa Yu does the voice of Motoko Aoyama in Love Hina and Tsugumi Komachi in Ever 17 -The Out of Infinity-.

But she also does the voice of Rumi in Immoral Sisters 1 & 2 (Ai Shimai).