Looking something Azumanga Daiohish

I just finished watch Azumanga Daioh for the second time. I really love that show. Is any other anime out there with the same vibe or feel?

Or failing that another funny classroom show?

Seether00

Off the top of my head, people who liked Azumanga Daioh also enjoyed:

Hyakko (one 13 episode season): 4 school girls and their various unusual friends. Light drama and comedy “slice of life” series.

Lucky?Star (one 24 episode season and 1 OVA): 4 school girls and their various unusual friends. Has the same “skit format” as Azumanga. Lots of anime/manga/gaming references. Huge hit in Japan and with US anime circles. I mean REALLY huge hit.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (two 13 episode seasons [26 total] and 3 OVA’s): Dysfunctional suicidal teacher and his 32 insane dysfunctional students (one is a perfectionist yandere, one is a delusional optimist, one is a bisexual hikikomori, one is a lovestruck stalker, etc). Sounds dark and morbid, but the show itself is a surreal comedy that pokes fun at politics and life (Japanese and foreign). Something of a subverted harem setting, as most of the female students have a thing for the teacher, but this isn’t a normal harem (trust me). Follows a “skit format” - most episodes really have nothing to do with each other.

Last but not least, the creator of Azumanga has another series called [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yotsuba%26!]Yotsuba![/url]. This does not have anime however (not yet at least).

I think Excel Saga might qualify in this category~ Pretty much a parody of every anime out there, 26 episodes~

Girl’s high

You know, it’s not exactly the same, but I think the Ramen Fighter Miki series shares a good deal of humor. Hmm, well a bit more violence, and less Kimura-sensei, but it’s still funny.

I would recommend staying away from Lucky * Star. It’s like Seinfeld put to anime characters. Snoozefest-a-rama.

Read Yotsuba&!, written and drawn by the same Kiyohiko Azuma.

Alrighty, thanks for the suggestions. I have finished watching:

Hyakko and Lucky Star. I thought they were both which I thought were pretty funny. I enjoyed Lucky Star’s anime and video game references.

Anyone have any others I should look at?

Seether00

Try Minami-ke. I’m pretty sure there’s an anime version of it and I thought it definately had the same vibe as Azumanga Daioh. But it wasn’t as classroom-centric.

I still think you should watch Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. :smiley:

I’ve had a lot of people swear to me, that Crayon Shin-chan is a great series. Personally I don’t dislike Shin-chan - I recognize he’s a HUGE cultural icon and does a lot of original things - but it’s something that I don’t “get” as funny… not all the time at least. YMMV.

I’ve heard that enjoyment of Shin-chan highly depends on if you watch the original Japanese version, or FUNimation’s version of the show. I kind of enjoy watching FUNimation’s version on [adult swim] from time to time.

Actually I am watching Minami-ke right now and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is on my list.

I really don’t like Shin chan, it just seems off…

I guess I should expand my search from just school comedy to Slice of Life comedy.

I think the reason I want to see more of these shows, is that I am burnt out on drama and, if I see any more mecha anime, I’ll scream.

Seether00

I just recently started watching “Cromartie Highschool”. That would be a candidate, if someone (and the OP in particular) was as attracted of the bizarre things in “Azumanga Daioh” as I was: for example “Chiyo’s father”, Yukari-chan’s driving-skills, Ayumu’s constantly derailed trains of thought and the special relationship between Sakaki and the grey cat.

However, don’t expect anything moe in “Comartie Highschool” - probably the one thing in there that comes closest to at least trying to be moe is Mechazawa’s little brother… :oops:

Toradora (25 episodes): More like a drama than a comedy, but it has some amusing moments. It’s one of those “tension romances” (ala Love Hina and Ah! My Goddess), where the viewer knows there’s something going on, but the two lovers are oblivious. It has a finalizing conclusion though.

Beyond Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, I suggest you check out School Rumble. Not quite the same as its a comedy-romance, but the jokes, the format and whatnot are similar enough. For me it was the bike chase sequence that turned me onto the show.

K-On!
Hidamari Sketch
Manabi Straight
Maria Holic
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Minami-ke