Lots of English dating sims coming

Ok i read everyting here, but am rather confused so heres a few questions…

#1: what kinda love sims are they translating, bishoujo or just plain dating sims?(and ARE they cencoring stuff? (taking all the h-scenes out?)(some of them out?)

#2: Or… are they more like Sakura Taisen (no nudity, but such a great story it dont matter)

#3: So they are releasing them all in dvd format?

Now, my favorite game type is a dating sim/love sim (ok maybe next to CS…) Anyway what im trying to say is the above wont affect my purchase of all the games i just wanna know…

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 05-19-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
Ok i read everyting here, but am rather confused so heres a few questions...

#1: what kinda love sims are they translating, bishoujo or just plain dating sims?(and ARE they cencoring stuff? (taking all the h-scenes out?)(some of them out?)

#2: Or... are they more like Sakura Taisen (no nudity, but such a great story it dont matter)

#3: So they are releasing them all in dvd format?

Now, my favorite game type is a dating sim/love sim (ok maybe next to CS...) Anyway what im trying to say is the above wont affect my purchase of all the games i just wanna know...

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 05-19-2003).]

#1 Unclear on what they are, but I'm pretty sure it's not the type like Casual Romance Club or Tokimeki Memorial or Sentimental Graffitti where you pursue one girl with specific stats to modify. But they will all be all ages, so all the H-stuff will be undoubtedly removed.

#2 see #1

#3 Yes, all DVDs.

Just to clarify the difference between a DVD game and a PC game released on DVD - the first uses DVD menuing with DVD player controls to traverse a story script, while the other uses a higher level game engine on a PC. Is that more or less the idea?

quote:
Originally posted by hiro:
Badly censored? I've played the game and while there were times in which you would think "oh something is supposed to happen here" nothing was "badly" done. The story flowed well throughout. But then I've never played the uncensored version so maybe I'm missing something that I don't know about. Of course if your talking about them removing every bit of T&A then yes it's all gone.

I was talking about both :)

I was under the impression the censorship of Phantom of Inferno was worse than that. Maybe not, then...

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 05-19-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by bokmeow:
Nandemonai, do you have a comparison review between the two versions of Phantom of Inferno?

I had remembered reading one, but seem to have been confused.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
Just to clarify the difference between a DVD game and a PC game released on DVD - the first uses DVD menuing with DVD player controls to traverse a story script, while the other uses a higher level game engine on a PC. Is that more or less the idea?

Yup that's pretty much the difference. The DVD game is kinda like choose your own adventure books from way back when [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

This is new to me.I wonder how the normal DVD players are gonna handle the games like duh… how do you save the game?Normal DVD players don’t really have their much of own memory right?

quote:
Originally posted by Achaoz:
This is new to me.I wonder how the normal DVD players are gonna handle the games like duh........ how do you save the game?Normal DVD players don't really have their much of own memory right?

It's on a "password" system. You know, like how some console games were before there were "memory cards" and such. You get to a certain point and are given a password, and to return to that point, you enter in the password.

(to the topic) I command you to rise from your grave!

Never did make my more coherent post. (I made my initial posts to this thread right after I got back from Acen…I was kind of exhausted).

After looking at more of the titles, I have come to the conclusion that yes, a lot of the games DO feature quite young characters. Too young for me by a long shot. So oddly enough, I oppose censoring them for the English market but can only play the censored versions.

I have no real problem with censoring the titles as long as it doesn’t negatively affect the story. The only real thing I can offer here to elaborate is an analogy.

Take H.P. Lovecraft. One of the most famous authors of horror ever. Is one of the few people to publish in the pulp magazines of the era who is still even widely recognized, much less acclaimed. His fiction has shaped all of horror since his work was rediscovered.

He was a racist.

His stories frequently have racist undertones. Several of them in particular deal entirely with “degenerate”…well, subspecies of the human race. And then there’s Call of the Cthulhu. It is a major plot point that there is a cult that worships this being, and that the cult exists because of the psychic emanations of said being. The “weaker” races are more susceptible to this; there is at one point a reference to “degenerate Eskimos”.

Now, you couldn’t remove the offending racial slurs without materially changing the story. And in this case Call of the Cthulhu went on to found…well, the entire Cthulhu Mythos.

I will be quite interested in seeing how this Hirameki International thing turns out.