Man, the Milky House Collection is full of typos ...

I’m replaying Nocturnal Illusion for the first time in several years; it’s my first time playing the Milky House Collection version of the game.

So I’m playing the game, and I notice … man, the whole thing is riddled with typos and bad grammar. It’s all over the place. And I was thinking probably what Jast did was simply take the old translation and dump it into the rerelease after they licensed it. Does anyone remember if there were any changes at all? I’m pretty early in, so I’m curious. (I also don’t remember the original release very much at all at this point. Certainly I don’t remember the typos being so rampant.)

Of course, if I’m remembering this right, then Milky House (or RCY America, or whoever they were) only released a few games before going under … so I’d expect they might have had similar translation issues as MangaGamer did at first. (Some of the MangaGamer titles are significantly worse than NI is - assuming the rerelease is the original translation.)

The game itself is still really good, of course. Even if the gameplay is getting long in the teeth.

I absolutely loathe typos of any quantity or form in my eroge. It only takes one to tear me out of the game and break down any immersion I had. While I usually don’t stop playing the game, it annoys me and probably leads me to knock at least 5% off its final score, just for that. If you can’t proofread your game, don’t sell it to me. I don’t want to read it.

Unfortunately, I never played the original English version of Nocturnal Illusion. Hopefully someone else has. But from what I recall of the Milky House version, there were plenty of typos, as well as some inconsistencies.

I don’t know if JAST could have improved the translation, due to the presumably defunct companies that created the game. The original Japanese companies responsible for the game – Apricot and Excellents, and the developer Milky House, according to VNDB – may have been out of business by 2002. And RCY America was long gone by then. So JAST may have only been able to release the game as-is. But if I’m wrong, correct me.

I know they created a new installer and so forth to resolve some XP compatibility issues. (The game was originally released all the way back in 1995, so it apparently used all kinds of bad programming practices common in early Windows programs.)

Other than fixing a semi-looping bug in NI they didn’t really change anything in the script.