Manga Suggestions?

I just recently finished reading “Battle Royale” (which I highly recommend if you haven’t read it) and enjoyed it a great deal. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a series in a similar vein - serious, with good character development/interesting protagonists, and at least decent artwork.

Thanks in advance.

black cat! black cat! and sgtfrog. my two very most favorites. i haven’t read the manga yet, but try honey and clover. the anime based on it is my favorite anime

If you like mangas where people kill each other without a real reason, Try Death Note, Gantz (couldn’t read more than 2 chapter of this one), …

The people in Battle Royale did have a reason - “kill or die” seems a pretty good reason. The entire series is a bit of commentary on society, humanity, and the breakdown - or adherence to - social structures under extreme conditions. (which is a simplification, but I don’t want to write pages on the subject)

The killing - while certainly important to the mental and physical well being of the characters - is not the point of the series and is merely a tool to motivate the characters toward introspection and self evaluation.

No, I don’t like manga about senseless killing.

You mean you want to read serious story on manga?

Akira
Island
Ghost in the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Pluto
Crying Freeman
Fist of the North Star
Fist of the Blue Sky
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
Adolf
Battle Angel Alita and Battle Angel Alita Last Order
Berserk
Elfen Lied
Blade of Immortal
Genshiken
Blood +
Blame!
Lone Wolf and Cub
Spirit of Wonder

I forgot others. I just like comedy manga.

Quoted for truth. I would recommend Genshiken to anyone, regardless of their other taste in manga; if you stick with it through the first several volumes I think you’ll find that in addition to being a great primer on the Japanese otaku experience it’s got some wonderful psychological character studies in the latter half as well. One of the best manga I’ve ever read.

Gunslinger Girl for sure. 8)

Jan and Rico are the most “static” relationship, and even they are changing as the series goes on. Everyone likes to mush over the Jose and Henrietta pairing, but the Hilshire and Triela pairing is arguably the most interesting (they fight and argue; the other fratello don’t).

You’ll probably catch wind of the anime porting of the manga. The first anime series is awesome. First class all around. Goes into detail with Lauro and Elsa.

DO NOT WATCH THE SECOND ANIME SERIES!! It’s made of ass and fail. :evil:

Now that I think about it, it’s after reading Genshiken that I wanted to try playing eroge.

Coming into this thread was a good idea. I will recommend Fullmetal Alchemist just because it’s epic. I will also be turning my sights on Genshiken because it seems to be highly regarded here.

I would have to second Black Cat. I just started reading it, but it’s very good so far.

Black Lagoon. I haven’t yet read the manga (it’s on order), but I have heard that the anime is fairly faithful to the manga, and it’s a pretty awesome series.

I second this recommendation, big time. One of the best out there.

Having only seen the first series and having been eagerly awaiting the second, words cannot describe my numbing despair at hearing this and other news of how terrible the second series is. What an absolute bummer.

I’d add Planetes, Sanctuary, Monster and 20th Century Boys to RonXE’s list.

I hope I’m not the only person who thought Battle Royale was total shite.

Lately I’ve been really into Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers).

Funny that you mention this, I just bought the anime for this over at RightStuf. They’re having a sale on all Viz stuff this week, so I took the opportunity to grab the discs while they were reduced 40%. Still wavering on the manga, though I’ll probably pick them up if I like the anime.

I forgot: you could add good ol’ 2001 Nights to my list as well.

Any suggestions for me?

I like Chobits, Love Hina (and other Akamatsu works) and Dears.

Perhaps I will try Chibi Vampire.

^^^ okay…

Maison Ikkoku
Kimagure Orange Road
Kodocha (aka Komodo no Omicha/ Child’s Toy)
Peach Girl
Peach Girl: Sae’s Story (aka Shin Peach Girl)
Mizuiro Jidai and Shin Mizuiro Jidai (aka the Blue-Green Years)
Rosario + Vampire and Rosario + Vampire II (I like all of four to five girls. Ruby won…)
MXO
Major
Yawara!
KissXSis (Twincest approval)
many others… I forgot… I will check list of manga that I read.

KissXSis looks nice. But I can only find “scanlated” parts on the internet. Has it officially been released in English?

I don’t like the look of the other series. :wink: I don’t like the drawing style.

Do you have more suggestions?

Yes. Yes! YES!!!

The twincest is strong in this one. It is a Nirvana of love.

Not yet. Possibly never. The whole twincest thing is hard hurdle to cross. Futakoi Alternative was blacklisted from official release in the US, because of the overwhelming twincest… and the underaged thing. :frowning:

I wish I was born in Japan.

I bought Chibi Vampire 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and Negima! 21this afternoon. 8)

And I ordered Chibi Vampire 1 & 5, Strawberry (Ichigo) 100% 1- 8 and Mao-Chan 1 &2.
I’m so happy. Too bad I can’t start on Chibi Vampire. :frowning: