MG now looking for proofreaders

Odd hours???

+1 GMT

Just have patience people. A lot of Dutch people are on holiday. 8)

Um, yes. Receiving a reply from a company at 2 AM (local time for them) is odd, except from the few companies that have 24 hour support.

And did nobody else get a reply yet? They just emailed me again even though I didn’t reply to their last email.

No… :frowning: And why did they mail you at 2 AM???

Perhaps the company is only registered in the Netherlands and perhaps they don’t have any employees here.

I just got my reply. Hopefully they’ll like how I answered their questions, since I’d love to get this job. I’ve always wanted to work in the otaku industry.

What did they ask you? They didn’t ask me anything.

Basic stuff. Name, age, phone number, experience, whether I knew any Japanese, etc.

Finally sent replies…to both emails on the same day. My guess is they were just collecting names to see how many responses they got and only replying to those that had a question.

same here. The only thing i couldn’t really say i knew much of was Japanese. My knowledge is sorely lacking. I do have some expertise with editing though.

Oh wow, they just sent me an email (gasp!). It was the same as Ojamajo’s, namely asking me my name, age, phone number, etc. etc.

I tell you though, asking for all this information seems mighty suspicious to me. Why do they need my phone number when they can probably barely speak English to me on the phone anyways :P. Btw I don’t know if they asked this question to you guys but they asked me what “browzer” I use. What’s a browzer? At this rate, they might need a proofreader just to send emails out to people :roll:.

because the biggest problem of dealing with freelancers over the net is when they disappear and stop answering your emails!

seethe

(Sorry. I hire artists. They drive me batshit.)

So they have a way to contact you other than an email address? I’m very unsympathetic to a lot of the stunts MangaGamer has pulled, but this seems reasonable to me.

We already know this company has had bad experiences with dodgy translation. Perhaps they simply want to try and make sure you’re not some schmuck? They’re offering to pay real money for proofreaders, it seems to me that – especially given the history of bad experiences these guys have had with translators – them wanting some way to contact you that’s less anonymously disposable than an email address is totally above board.

Adding some accountability to their translation process is basically what we were asking for, right? I mean, we have no idea what exactly DID happen. But it sure seems like they hired some dodgy freelancers who handed in “work” that barely kinda technically mostly meets the minimum standards. With no accountability, you have no way of guaranteeing you won’t be out more money for more of the same from a new, different, set of clowns.

So you guys weren’t accepted yet? They just asked for your information? … I’m now left wondering why I was accepted without them asking a thing about me.

maybe post your email you sent (edited out for any person info). I want to see what was different. If you don’t feel like posting it publicly here, I’d still like to see a pm (again you can edit anything you think is PI)

They mean ‘browser’, but made another typo. :roll: A browser is the program you use to view the web, such as Internet Explorer or Firefox.

I would be really surprised if ReMeDy’s comment wasn’t sarcasm Ojamajo_LimePie…

I really should have asked them when they expect to assign work. I’m not free forever.

Oh yea, sorry for the misunderstanding, but as Kimu said, I was being sarcastic :lol:.

Yea I should have asked that myself, although I haven’t officially been accepted yet either. All they asked were for my details. In my initial email I asked for details what proofreaders would be expected to do for them, but apparently they didn’t catch my question and treated it as a copy paste email, since they said, “You might have already provided some of the information requested by us. Sorry for your inconvenience.” :roll: Uhh… yea I provided some of the information all right, but most importantly I asked them a question they didn’t respond to! :roll: Oh well.

Edit: Sorry… double post :P.

'S okay. It happens to me all the time. I’m probably the world’s worst person at catching sarcasm and rhetorical questions. :lol:

so I am way behind all you cool people but I got a reply… it was awhile ago but I am sharing now. ^.^ joy and happiness and stuff