MG now looking for proofreaders

I was refreshing their page when I noticed their new announcement stating they were looking for “proofreaders.” I took a screenshot, just in case:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/ … eaders.png

I want to email them to ask for more details, namely do they mean they’re hiring for proofreaders or that they just want volunteer help? I was under the assumption it’s illegal to ask people to work for you for free, even if a person agrees to it, but perhaps I’m wrong. I’d figure emailing them wouldn’t hurt. When I have more details I’ll post back.

it’s not illegal to ask for help without pay, if it’s signed in a contract. Usually other methods of compensation are given, ie free copy of game, good reference if needed, etc.

EDIT: Sent them an email from one of my email addresses. If they do respond with something I like, I’ll use another of my email addresses.

Promising. Who better to proofread and fix an ero, than hardcore ero fans? 8)

I’d help if I wasn’t already saddled with so many things in life… (not to mention SC4 just came out).

You mean like send two emails from two different addresses? Why would you want to send a 2nd if you get a favorable response the first time? :mrgreen: I will say though it makes sense to be deceptive about what email you share with them, since this could be a ploy to get people to relinquish their emails and then have us get send junk mail. I’m not saying it’s true… just a possibility :roll:.

Anyways, just as an update, I sent them my email. I’m not agreeing to anything until I learn more details, but even a favorable response I’ll be on the fence with. I’d rather just play Madden 09 when it’s released :stuck_out_tongue: .

Interesting, they certainly need help with their releases…

And it’d be hard to find a better staff to support them than a B-gaming otaku workforce :mrgreen:

sends e-mail

I am sure Everyone else did to… I put in an e=mail… Even though this definitly seems a bit Dark I want to be a part of it ^.^

Er, I just posted this in the other thread, but I emailed them and they said you get paid, but you don’t get to choose which title you’re assigned.

They are located in Hoofddorp. That’s 30 minutes away from my place. 8)

I’m going to send a e-mail.

Heh well at least they sent you back a reply. I’m still waiting for more details. For example, I wanted to know what they had in mind for a “proofreader” because if it means opening up the game and messing with code, then no thanks. On the other hand, I’d be alright if they gave me the script (in English) and I work from there. They seriously should have mentioned more details on their official webpage. Is knowing Japanese a requirement? That would have been helpful to know the answer to :roll:.

Weird. The guy replied to me in just over 30 minutes to my email, and replied again a couple hours later once I asked for more details. I still didn’t get very much info though. Maybe I should email him again if you don’t get a reply.

When I emailed him asking if we could choose the game, he replied back seemingly knowing that I don’t like the sex-romps. Either the context in my email was enough… or I’m being watched. :shock: Maybe that’s why I got a reply so quickly. :lol:

When I emailed them, they didn’t ask me anything about myself and accepted me, though I did mention I know Japanese. I’m not an English major, but I am a native speaker and can write well enough, so don’t worry if I actually start proofreading the games. :stuck_out_tongue:

For the script source, I’m wondering how they expect you to do it straight from the script if you don’t know where the scene transitions are. Sometimes the script jumps around a lot depending on your choices, and some lines are hard to do without context. They need to give you more than the raw script for a decent job.

I purchased a game from them and wrote a long email suggesting improvements they could make to their translation, so maybe they somehow know me already.

They said they expect people to work 80+ hours on a game, so that seems a bit long just for proofreading. They could mean copy-editing the script since sometimes people use proofreading when they mean copy-editing. Judging by their game scripts, they need a copy-editor more than a simple proofreader.

Well maybe that was my problem why I didn’t get a reply back (assuming that means they declined me). I mentioned in my email I never bought a game from them yet and that I know only BASIC Japanese. I wanted to be honest with them, so I don’t regret saying it.

Still though, I went into detail about myself, including my joy of writing game reviews, that I’ve played dozens of bishoujo titles, that I love to support the eroge-gaming industry, etc. (and yea I made sure the email was typo-free w/ good grammar :P). I wouldn’t be peeved if they decline me, but rather I was hoping they’d at LEAST reply back… even if I only get details, especially because my email should have been one of the first ones they received since I caught their webpage publisher make the change on their site about requesting proofreaders via a page refresh :roll:.

:cry: I’m still waiting for a reply.

Oh, well at least I’m not the only one :P. At the very least they should send an email denying people.

They said “within 48 working hours”.

Not “2 working days”. :lol:

Ok, this really makes me wonder if I’m somehow special since I’m the only one who got a reply, and a quick one at that. :lol:

Same here.

Oh yea, that’s a good point, so I guess there’s still time for them to send an email, although they sent several to Reikon over the span of a day, so considering we haven’t gotten a single one, when or if we do, I doubt it will be regarding acceptance :roll:.

Bumping just to say I still haven’t gotten a reply email back from them, so I’m just going to hang it up and forget about it. I sent my email July 30th, meaning it’s been roughly five days now without a response. It’s pretty sad they couldn’t have at least copy pasted an email informing people they chose not to admit. I’m sure they got several emails, but surely they didn’t get an OVERWHELMING amount of them to make it hard on them to copy paste emails of disapproval.

To those curious, I did NOT get a mailer daemon message or a failed email delivery, meaning they definitely received the email. I’m looking on their webpage and I still see the proofreader advertisement, so my only guess is they’re hoarding all the emails until they find enough hired help. Only then may they start denying everyone.

Anyways, just wanted to throw that out there that if anyone hasn’t gotten an email, you’re not the only one :roll:.

Did you receive the automated email confirming they received the email? Sometimes they take a while to reply. They took about a week to reply when I wrote them a long email complaining about translation problems.

And you do realize you’re counting the weekend, don’t you? Most companies don’t work on the weekend, so you shouldn’t count it (though they do have odd hours because if they’re in the Netherlands, I got a reply around 2 AM, and if they’re in Japan, I got a reply shortly before 6 AM).