MG now looking for proofreaders

This is totally unprofessional of them to leave people hanging. I’m starting to wonder if I should send them an email, but am afraid that might seem like I’m being pushy.

Here are my emails:

Oh, so understanding of Japanese would be a requirement then? That’s kind of disappointing, but oh well.

No, but it does help.

From the looks of it, this isn’t really ‘proofreading’ at all, but editing… or, really, translation editing. I’d heavily advise knowledge of Japanese just so you know what the original line is trying to say.

well I got a reply much quicker asking me about testing.

Well, I finally started doing Suika. This is more like proofreading + editing + translation than just proofreading. I have to help them pick translations for various things and rewrite a lot of sentences. It’s also done by multiple translators, so I need to make things consistent.

I applied. I’m very anal-retentive when it comes to text, and I’m obsessive-compulsive, a winning quality when it comes to spelling and grammar checking.

This sounds like what we were doing for Tsukihime. At first. They eventually completely abandoned that model and changed to one person translating the whole game, then one person editing, then beta testing. I can definitely say, the many-translators method has issues.

Yeah, it really does have issues, but sadly, almost all translations use that method.

It doesn’t help my editing job is made a lot harder since the scripts are given to me in seemingly random order.

Since I have to combine work from multiple translators (and most of my time is spent just correcting their English) at random points in the story, I don’t think I’ll be able to make the game flow as well as I’d like, but I’ll try. 8)

Go go go! You can do it!

You know, I wish they’d post the requirements/what they’re looking for/what applicants should expect because I honestly have no idea of what would be expected at the time, or am I being too naive?

They expect your soul. :twisted:

Yeah. I’m still up trying to finish this batch of scripts I got today. Pretty much every line has a minor mistake I need to fix, which takes like 30-45 seconds to do because o fthe formatting they want, which quickly adds up to a lot of time. This doesn’t include the times when there are bad translations and I need to think of a better one (and sometimes without any context) or when I’m debating what the game or translation means so I can write it more clearly.

So basically you should know a good amount of Japanese, be able to write English well, and be able to spend lots of time doing tedious and menial tasks. :smiley:

Oops. In my sleepiness I accidentally quoted myself instead of editing my post.

I’m pretty confident in my grasp of english (or at least proofreading other people’s english) and I always seem to have some time free, although I’m not sure about 80 hours a week if it starts overlapping when school and my usual job start. The only problem for me would be that I have zero understanding of Japanese. :cry:

After doing some of these scripts, I realized that not knowing Japanese would make it impossible to do a good job. There are some lines that are translated so awfully that they need a second take on the Japanese.

Aw, I see. Maybe I’ll take Japanese lessons one day, it’d solve several of my problems at once.

Was contacted, sent them a detailed reply.

Hopefully I’ll hear back from them.