Milky House Memorial on its way

Sure looks that way, I just got my email notifying me of the shipment.

Got mine also. I should recieve it by Sat at the earliest Mon at teh latest.

Got my email late this evening. Been looking forward to these two releases.

JAST USA Memorial Collection is shipping too. Automated reply from JAST USA -

quote:
Thanks for your preorder. We’re happy to report that JAST USA Memorial Collection and Milky House Memorial Collection are in stock and shipping now! We’ll get this out to you ASAP.

O.K., that’s enough!

* Switches to another window, visits JAST’s website and orders both collections as well as “Horny Bunny” *

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 03-11-2003).]

Hmm, I knew I was forgetting something. places order Sigh, where am I gonna find the time? Still in the middle of Horny Bunny, Chobits and Ai Yori Aoshi DVDs arrived yesterday and now the memorial collections are out and available (and picking up an extra Himeya Soft title to come closer to completing my collection).

Let’s see, if I give up sleep for a few days… eating isn’t all that important… forget about that social life I was developing…

Food? Sleep? That’s for suckers…

As for being out of time… I’ve probably only watched half of the anime collection I own. I picked up Ai Yori Aoshi and Chobits too… but I probably won’t get around to watching them until both their releases have been complete But I just can’t seem to stop buying them.

I’ve been thinking of renting out my collection to someone to watch for me. At least then it’ll feel appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
As for being out of time... I've probably only watched half of the anime collection I own. I picked up Ai Yori Aoshi and Chobits too... but I probably won't get around to watching them until both their releases have been complete [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] But I just can't seem to stop buying them.

I know how you feel. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] But I've been waiting to watch Chobits for the longest time so I couldn't wait to pop it in when it came. It's throwing my whole viewing schedule off. I'm still in the middle of watching the Gasaraki and Magic Knight Rayearth 2 series and I havn't even opened my Sakura Diaries Collector's Edition. And that's just the anime I havn't seen before, there's at least 4 or 5 other series that I've originally seen on VHS and have since picked up the DVD version. (Argh, and I just remembered that Steel Angel Kurumi #5 came out this week! If anybody hears a strange whimpering noise, don't worry, it's just my bank account...)

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
I'm still in the middle of watching the Gasaraki and Magic Knight Rayearth 2 series and I havn't even opened my Sakura Diaries Collector's Edition.

Gasaraki? You're actually WATCHING it? Dude, how far are you? Do you actually like it?

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Gasaraki? You're actually WATCHING it? Dude, how far are you? Do you actually like it?

Er, yes I am watching it. Why do you sound surprised? I'm on the fourth disk. Er, it's just after Yushiro activated the kugai and now he and Miharu are supposed to go searching for their kai heritage or something. (This was a few days ago and since then, work, some horny bunnies, and Chi have distracted me some.) I'm rather intrigued so far, but I havn't really formed an opinion as to whether I like it or not. (My preference is for romantic comedies, which this definitely is not.) We'll see once I finish the whole series. I'm a bit surprised that ADV did bring it over though, I get the feeling that it wouldn't appeal to the average American anime viewer.

quote:
Er, yes I am watching it. Why do you sound surprised? I'm on the fourth disk. Er, it's just after Yushiro activated the kugai and now he and Miharu are supposed to go searching for their kai heritage or something. (This was a few days ago and since then, work, some horny bunnies, and Chi have distracted me some.) I'm rather intrigued so far, but I havn't really formed an opinion as to whether I like it or not. (My preference is for romantic comedies, which this definitely is not.) We'll see once I finish the whole series. I'm a bit surprised that ADV did bring it over though, I get the feeling that it wouldn't appeal to the average American anime viewer.

... ... ...

I'm surprised because......uh, it sucks dude. Bigtime. They showed it at our anime club, and that was more or less the general consensus. It doesn't get any better, the "big hidden secret" they reveal at the end is just bad, and I found the only characters with any real personality -whatsoever- to be the bit character mecha pilots. The political stuff was interesting, but everything else was just...awful, and boring. They should have stuck with the political intrigue parts of it, but instead they also tried to do an Evangelion ripoff, badly.

quote:

Reading more carefully, I see why you're rather intrigued so far.

Here's how it works. The series is slow moving, but still decently interesting...up to this point. After this point it just goes NOWHERE. At all. More or less literally. The show's characters don't really develop, the plot doesn't really develop except in bad ways, and it...just...GAAAAAAH

They showed the show at my anime club, and I actually watched most of it [EDIT: and by "most" I mean "all of, excepting a few episodes where I wasn't at club."]. I'm regretting it now. I want my 10 hours back, dammit.

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 03-13-2003).]

Wow, I have to totally disagree about Gasaraki. I thought it was great (and most people I’ve asked who’ve seen it, agreed). I liked the politically oriented atmosphere, and the fact that they attempted to integrate giant robots in a realistic setting (what with the battles being based on the gulf war).

As for it being an Eva rip-off, well I liked the Eastern mythology aspect to it (it’s basis in Noh plays)… and its far more “true” to it, than Eva was to western religion. And the ‘secret’ at the end wasn’t that important… it helped tie up some loose threads, but it wasn’t the purpose of the show… which more or less ended with the second to last episode.

On the otherhand, I think I see why you don’t like it. I’m guessing you like more character-oriented shows. Which this is not, it is most definitely a story-oriented show. The characters do develope, but not as much, nor are they the focus.

shrugs I dunno, I like character oriented shows too, but sometimes I like the focus to be on events instead.

quote:
I'm still in the middle of watching the Gasaraki and Magic Knight Rayearth 2 series and I havn't even opened my Sakura Diaries Collector's Edition. (Argh, and I just remembered that Steel Angel Kurumi #5 came out this week! If anybody hears a strange whimpering noise, don't worry, it's just my bank account...)

That reminds me, I need to get the second boxset of MKR... argh, there goes more money.

I've though about picking up Steel Angel Kurumi, but I think I better put that on my waiting list for now (the waiting list is even bigger than my collection).

Well, I'll be hungry, but at least I'll be entertained as I die.

shrugs We’ll see how I feel about the show after I finished it. Different tastes and all. If I recall correctly, Nandemonai-san, you were also didn’t like Steel Angel Kurumi while I enjoyed it. I’l just have to see.

Actually, I’m always amused when someone says an anime is an “Evangelion ripoff” or a “Tenchi clone”. Mainly because, I really havn’t watched either series. (I have seen the first two Tenchi Muyo movies though, but that was only in the past year.) It’s probably why I can enjoy certain titles more than other people. Then again, even if I had watched them, I don’t like to compare titles against each other, I try to go through them on their own merit.

I don’t even want to think about my waiting list. Or even my want list. I’m so looking forward to the next volumes of Fruits Basket and Mahoromatic at the end of the month. (And that also reminds me, need to buy new media shelves, I’m running out of space…)

quote:
Actually, I'm always amused when someone says an anime is an "Evangelion ripoff" or a "Tenchi clone". Mainly because, I really havn't watched either series. (I have seen the first two Tenchi Muyo movies though, but that was only in the past year.) It's probably why I can enjoy certain titles more than other people. Then again, even if I had watched them, I don't like to compare titles against each other, I try to go through them on their own merit.

Hehe, it's probably for the best. I love Eva, but comparing it to other mecha shows usually does a disservice to both. And I don't mind Tenchi-clones at all... I like harem anime! And you're right, most shows should be judged (and enjoyed) by their own merits. I watch anime mainly because I enjoy it... I try not to get too critical about it (I save that for 'real' movies and such).

Mmmm... Mahoromatic *drools*. I'm not sure about Fruits Basket though. I've heard lots of good things about it, but I'm not quite sure I can trust a show called "Fruits Basket". Interesting looking though...

Hey, at least you have shelves... I keep my dvds wherever there is space... closet, desk drawers, footlocker, on top of tv, taped to the walls as wallpaper...

[This message has been edited by Faust (edited 03-14-2003).]

quote:
Actually, I'm always amused when someone says an anime is an "Evangelion ripoff" or a "Tenchi clone". Mainly because, I really havn't watched either series. (I have seen the first two Tenchi Muyo movies though, but that was only in the past year.) It's probably why I can enjoy certain titles more than other people. Then again, even if I had watched them, I don't like to compare titles against each other, I try to go through them on their own merit.

The thing is, Evangelion did have a lasting impact on giant robot shows in general--it moved them from either being...well, Gundam or in the same vein as Voltron--formulaic toy vehicles. Evangelion really did completely change things, and now the Eva formula has been incorporated into mecha shows.

In this particular case, Gasaraki pulled something near the very end that was so much like Evangelion that I have to concur with the bad-Eva-ripoff assessment, at least in part.

quote:
Wow, I have to totally disagree about Gasaraki. I thought it was great (and most people I've asked who've seen it, agreed). I liked the politically oriented atmosphere, and the fact that they attempted to integrate giant robots in a realistic setting (what with the battles being based on the gulf war).

As for it being an Eva rip-off, well I liked the Eastern mythology aspect to it (it's basis in Noh plays)... and its far more "true" to it, than Eva was to western religion. And the 'secret' at the end wasn't that important.. it helped tie up some loose threads, but it wasn't the purpose of the show... which more or less ended with the second to last episode.

On the otherhand, I think I see why you don't like it. I'm guessing you like more character-oriented shows. Which this is not, it is most definitely a story-oriented show. The characters do develope, but not as much, nor are they the focus.

*shrugs* I dunno, I like character oriented shows too, but sometimes I like the focus to be on events instead.

There seem to be a lot of people who concur with this assessment. Personally, I can't stand Gasaraki and wouldn't keep the discs if someone tried to give them to me.

You are right, though. I do prefer character-oriented shows. I do like plot. I thought the parts of Gasaraki dealing with conflict with the US were excellent. It's just that the rest of it SUCKED.

...this is a low blow, and I personally try to keep animation quality out of considerations as much as possible, but the animation in Gasaraki was so bad it detracted.

quote:
If I recall correctly, Nandemonai-san, you were also didn't like Steel Angel Kurumi while I enjoyed it. I'l just have to see.

Kurumi also left a bitter taste in my mouth for a reason only tangentially related to its sucking. I paid like $30 to sponsor the first volume from Slow as Hell, because the intro/opening theme were cute. Cute. Really cute.

Then I get _4 episodes_--the first four, which sucked. I have in fact heard that it gets better (but the one who told me this also admitted, once he finished it, that the end completely destroyed any value the show had for him).

So...I saw the first 4 episodes, in their mediocrity, for a wholly exorbitant price, when I was still on a college student's income.

quote:
Mmmm... Mahoromatic *drools*. I'm not sure about Fruits Basket though. I've heard lots of good things about it, but I'm not quite sure I can trust a show called "Fruits Basket". Interesting looking though...

[This message has been edited by Faust (edited 03-14-2003).]

Put those doubts out of your mind and go buy the $1.99 preview disc with the first 2 episodes. And just bite the bullet and buy disc 1 while you're at it, it'll save you a trip.

I literally only know of one or two people who actually did not like Fruits Basket.