Mr. Payne: A suggestion for a Japanese B-Game for Transl

It looks like a great game and one to add to the wish for list.

Someone else might tell you more specifics but a lot of what is translated is not up to those at Peach Princess. In the past people have also posted requests and it has been said that sadly it is still mostly up to what the Japanese creators or production companies of these games are willing to “give” for translation.

If you really want this game translated it couldn’t hurt to contact the makers of the game, both online and maybe through a paper letter and get a lot of friends who also want the game to write in the same request, asking this company if they would consider letting this game come up for translation. You can even mention you know companies over here that already sell translated games.

It might not do anything, but it is one way to try if you truly want this game translated.

Ya know, I’m really surprised there hasn’t been more role playing games attempted by some company. I see bishoujo role playing games as being 10 times more marketable than ADV games… I mean you not only are catering to the bishoujo crowd, and potentially the “sex” crowd, but to people who like RPG’s in general and it seems to me RPGs as a whole are pretty darn popular … then again, I have been wrong in the past and this could certainly just be another time that I am.

I suppose the amount of work involved is huge and that in and of itself is a factor, but heck if one were to come out with just one good RPG each year… hey i can dream

If to target any company I would say Software House Parsley, and the Phantom Knight trilogy. they have licensed their games before (Otaku). Having played the Japanese versions of the games it would be a good series to bring over, but it’s still up to them.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 07-24-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by ScorpioMysterica:
Ya know, I'm really surprised there hasn't been more role playing games attempted by some company. I see bishoujo role playing games as being 10 times more marketable than ADV games.... I mean you not only are catering to the bishoujo crowd, and potentially the "sex" crowd, but to people who like RPG's in general and it seems to me RPGs as a whole are pretty darn popular ... then again, I have been wrong in the past and this could certainly just be another time that I am.

You're half right. Brave Soul has been the closest thing we've yet had to a breakout hit. The problem is, [edit: where] are we going to GET these bishoujo RPGs? They're just not that prevalent. The problem is the Japanese companies are always on the ropes, as I understand, and many aren't able to spend the increased time and energy up front, that you need in order to make an RPG.

I'm not sure how well they'd do in Japan compared to a normal ADV, but generally the consensus that I see by observing what comes out of Japan, is that even though B-RPGs may have increased sales in Japan, they're too much trouble for that increased return. So not many are made.

So the fact that the US market would do better with RPGs is, unfortunately, probably going to be an unfulfilled potential for the near future. The problem is not many companies are interested in the US market yet. Well, not many make RPGs either, and right now the intersection of "US-interested and RPG-making" is zero. Excepting Brave Soul, which is already done, and the really
(really) old Megatech games.

[Edit: Yes, eye cane spike end right end spel.]

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 07-24-2004).]

sigh

If only MegaTech had done a better marketing job…

cries over spilt milk

And if MegaTech came out today, instead of so long ago. They tried to sell games long before there was any measureable number of people who had even heard of anime, let alone bishoujo or even hentai. Sometimes, it really is all about timing.

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfson:
*sigh*

If only MegaTech had done a better marketing job..

*cries over spilt milk*

I don't understand why there are feelings of lost love over Megatech games. The games weren't exactly uncensored, as the artwork was redrawn and edited to make the games (supposedly) "R-rated" instead of NC-17. It didn't go over well then, and I doubt that it would now. Then the translations were heavily "Americanized" and most of the names were changed. At least, I doubt any Japanese game had the name "Steffie" as one of their characters.

Had the games come out today, they would have gotten bashing from the purists. It's no different than how Detective Conan somehow became "Case Closed" with almost all the characters in the show changed to Western names. I haven't heard of many anime fans saying that they really liked the latter.

I had a couple of megatechs games it was pretty fun for it’s time, but know now what I did about the censoring I would be pretty upset with them.

I also heard that MegaTech screwed Elf over profits regarding the Knight of Xantar aka Dragon Knight 3. That made Elf basically not care about US market afterward.