Name this Anime?

Okay, some years ago I watched a very good anime movie in which one of the encounters involved the hero leaping across building tops being pursued by townspeople who were controlled by this face hugging masks. Whenever the hero killed one of the hosts the mask would unfold its legs and attempt to skitter away.

This is the only scene I recall from the anime and I have been trying to locate it again for years. If this scene sparks anyone’s memory please let me know … I’m desperate. (yeah, I’m obsessing on it … that happens when I get an idea stuck in my head and can’t figure it out … like an itch you just can’t scratch)

There is a bit in InuYasha which appears to correspond to what you’re describing. A shard of the jewel ends up in a Noh mask, causing problems in Kagome’s present.

No, it was before InuYasha, thanks for the attempt, though.

Might there have been an episode of Vampire Princess Miyu with this plot? That’s the only other show I’m familiar with that comes to mind.

Humm— well, this sounds like a LOT of stuff. For instance— Ben 10 Alien Force. FLTC (Fooly Cooly).

I know it isn’t Ben, since that’s new. FLTC isn’t that old. Can you describe the guy? Did he have anything distinguishing about him? Or maybe the mask/alien facer hugger/whatever it was? That would help. And did you see it in its native japanese? Subbed? Dubbed? English? Any random detail could help.

It was set in fuedal Japan, though a darker version somewhat similar to Ninja Scroll’s setting … the guy was your standard ronin/samuri hero if I recall … I think it was subtitled … I wish I could remember much more than that. (there might have been a slavery plot in there somewhere, but I hate to think I’m getting my anime confused …)