New OS poll?

guys, i was just lookign at the OS poll, but the poll itself seems to be not working anymore? is it just me or are you guys also seeing “the poll is moved to another forum”?

anyhow, with vista out and people mentioning that i have left some choices out, i am considering starting a new OS poll from scratch that will include vista and other choices that i may have left out in my previous poll, what do you guys think?

i will be assembling a bigger and more complete list. suggestions of choices welcome, or feel free to point out choices that i may have left out

for reference, the old OS poll (although the poll doesnt seem to work anymore): LINK

[ 04-13-2007, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Lamuness ]

Sounds good, I guess. Though it might be more accurate if you hold off just a tad because people there will be more and more new Vista users in the coming months (like myself). Unless you can add in an option to change your vote?

i wont make a new poll just yet. i think i will gather as many valid choices from people to make the list as complete as possible

whatever valid suggestions people give me, as long as it’s not something stupid or bogus, i will add to the list. the worst that can possibly happen is that it gets 1 or 2 votes

given so, it will take some time before i start the poll for real anyways (because i cant add more options once the poll goes public)

[ 04-13-2007, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: Lamuness ]

…dude, you are not serious with your avatar, are you? ← mockingbird

Yeah man. You nearly had me scared, Mockingbird. For many reasons. You’re too cool to be banned.

that would be a nice potential april fool prank though: turn everyone’s avatar into that ban pic :stuck_out_tongue:

I suggest these options for the poll:

[list][]Windows 95[/][]Windows 98/98SE[/][]Windows ME[/][]Windows 2000[/][]Windows XP Home[/][]Windows XP Professional[/][]Windows XP Media Center[/][]GNU/Linux with Wine/Cedega[/][]MacOS (?)[/][/list]You could lump ME with 98/98SE I suppose. ME is essentially 98 Third Edition.

Lumping XP Professional and XP Media Center could also be done, since they’re much alike.

I’m not sure about the MacOS option. People using a Mac would use BootCamp to boot… Windows XP.

[ 04-13-2007, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Benoit ]

The poll should have little OS-tan pictures in it: specifically 98 twincest. :wink:

Benoit, you forgot Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. I think we are a few who uses it and its sibling Windows Server 2003. Lamuness i think you should allow first and seconary os choices, maybe there are some few who has an older or an Linux os on a separate partition, me i still run Win ME on a 100Gig Partition. I use it for a few programs that not like Windows XP Professional x64.

[ 04-13-2007, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Johan ]

Can someone explain to me why people say XP 64-bit is like Windows Server 2003? It doesn’t make sense to me. XP is NT 5.1, 2003 is NT 5.2.

Depends on which version actually. :slight_smile:

puts on Win Admin hat

There are two versions of WinXP-64: 2002 and 2003.

2002 is based off the XP source code.

2003 is based off the Server 2003 source code… but they still sell it off as part of XP family. MS likes to confuse people it seems. :stuck_out_tongue:

The difference can be very dangerous if a network admin isn’t careful. Using 2002 version patches on a 2003 version (or vice versa) can result in some pretty ugly things to say the least. :mad:

EDIT
On a side note, you might as well add “Longhorn” to that list of OS. It gets released later this year. Uses the same source as Vista and all… but who knows how different it might turn out after all the smoke and fog clear.

[ 04-13-2007, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Nargrakhan ]

I’ve got Vista on my laptop but the only game I have on it so far is chess.

IF you CAN use Bootcamp on your Mac! I am still using my G4 Powerbook and my last check told me Bootcamp won’t run on the G4 model computers.

I do want to get a Macbook Pro but that won’t be for another year or so.

Well, you can wait for the new OS and see if it works there. Oh wait, they delayed it for iForgetwhat instead.

That won’t work. The reason that BootCamp exists and works so well is because they switched to the Intel x86 architecture, which is the same that PCs use.

I know. I couldn’t resist the comment mostly because they’re delaying the OS for another product. IMO it shows you the computer isn’t as much of a priority to them anymore. Given the iPod phenom, that’s not surprising.

I have a deep philosophical questions. :stuck_out_tongue:

If supporters of Microsoft OS are dimwitted drones, and the supporters of MAC OS are elitist zealots, what does that make supporters of UNIX?

I liked unix.