Nexon buying EA rumor...

Saw this rumor floating the gaming sites:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/maplestory … rt-6373621

Kay… totally doesn’t make sense to me at all though.

Nexon @ 2011
Revenue: 1.1 billion USD
Operating Income: 490 million USD

EA @ 2011
Revenue: 3.6 billion USD
Operating Income: 310 million USD

How the hell does the smaller company (that spends more and earns less) buy a bigger company (that spends less and earns more)? Do people not understand mathematics anymore? EA lost revenue in 2011, but did not lose assets (it made profit). The company is NOT in financial ruin, despite what those ME3 fanboi might be dreaming for.

EDIT
Dug up some more info on the two corps.

EA total value is 5 billion USD. Nexon total value is 8.5 billion USD. I’m thinking Nexon is padding the numbers somewhere, especially since it’s listed on Japanese exchange (which has a history of that), but I’ve no proof. Anyways, Nexon is supposedly bigger than EA then.

HOWEVER, before anyone starts screaming doom… Nexon only has 1.5 billion USD in cash assets. EA has 4 billion USD in cash assets. Therefore EA has more MONEY.

Buyout? Makes more sense for EA to buy Nexon. Merger? It would be in EA’s favor: they got the cash. Partnership? EA already did that with Square and it didn’t workout.

EDIT 2
Even more info. Evidently EA is in debt… by a whole 2.5 billion USD. EA could also pay that debt off with their cash assets, but have reserved not to for various financial reasons. EA’s total MSRP, company assets and debt, would be 6.5 billion USD.

I could see a distribution deal of some sort. Isn’t Nexon based in Korea? Might be in EA’s interest for overseas marketing , but that’s all I see.

I’m not sure why EA’s sharge surged based on this rumor … It really isn’t possible. Probably something along the lines of “something must be happening or the rumor wouldn’t have got started, even if the rumor itself makes no sense”?

Economic expert, basically confirming the info I collected:

EA to be bought by Nexon? Why the deal “cannot happen” according to Pachter

So DOA rumor. :stuck_out_tongue:

I won’t be surprised if Nexon was entertaining the notion just to get idea of what they’ll need to do if they wanna move into the west the big way.

Check it out, half of Activision-Blizzard is going on sale:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-0 … ne-22.html

This one is a serious offer.