Next version of Windows delayed until 2006

We hope The Evil empire can give us the most secure, bug free release this time.

------------------
“His last thought is wry, Not bad for a dead man.” Moon Knight vol.1, #1 (1980)

Check out:

http://www.extremetech.com/default/0,3398,00.asp

for details

------------------
“His last thought is wry, Not bad for a dead man.” Moon Knight vol.1, #1 (1980)

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 11-07-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
Check out:

http://www.extremetech.com/default/0,3398,,00.asp

for details

Besides the fact they are making loads of money why are they bringing out new windows versions every two years or so?

don’t their OS have like a 5-7 year cycle so by the time they release the new OS (2006) they can say they stop supporting 2000 and XP anymore because it’s the end of the support lifespan (or close to it) and that pretty much forces everybody (well, almost everybody) to buy their new OS…

quote:
Originally posted by Lamuness:
don't their OS have like a 5-7 year cycle so by the time they release the new OS (2006) they can say they stop supporting 2000 and XP anymore because it's the end of the support lifespan (or close to it) and that pretty much forces everybody (well, almost everybody) to buy their new OS...

Doesn't that violate some federal law though? I mean to say something like "Well it's still lasting like it was brand new, but we said it would be dead by now, so buy the new one or you don't get support."

In 2006 is when this is suppose to be released, maybe by then there will be another reason to update computers then again I might still have this one which is running fine.

Still think something stinks about doing business that way.

Haha, Windows what? I’ve been using Windows 98 since, well, 98. No upgrades for me.

quote:
Originally posted by bokmeow:
Haha, Windows what? I've been using Windows 98 since, well, 98. No upgrades for me.

Windows Longhorn speaking of the name, sounds more like something from Texas then an operating system. Or like Gates bought shares in the Stakehouse of the same name and is once more cross promoting.

quote:
Windows Longhorn speaking of the name, sounds more like something from Texas then an operating system. Or like Gates bought shares in the Stakehouse of the same name and is once more cross promoting.
Microsoft has been naming their pre-lease versions of Windows after various North American ski resorts for several years. I think it is done as a legal precaution. Intel follows a similar convention for new processors, using recreational area names. According to this online story
quote:
Longhorn is named after the mountain in Washington state where Windows engineer Dave Cutler loves to ski. Cutler is hard at work on Microsoft's other new 64-bit operating system, which is slated for release in the first quarter of 2004.

well I can be wrong but when I was searching for download patches for my new laptop yesterday I was bored and went through support for older laptop models and came across support for older windows OS and end up with this

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle.mspx