On game music

(Feel free to move this to Off Topic if it shouldn’t be here)

How important is it to you to have some music in your b-game? If the tracks are short and repetitive, do you even listen or do you turn it off?

This is in regards to my current project, which at the moment looks likely to have only a tiny tiny amount of music at Important Moments and no ongoing soundtrack. Something I did earlier with short looped music, at least one review complained that the music started driving him crazy after a while (And yes, there WAS an ‘off’ option.)

So. Do you want music all the time, is music only at meaningful storyline points okay, or do you care at all?

Music sets the mood. It’s always important, but it’s especially necessary when you want the player to feel a certain emotion. Looping music has never really bothered me much, personally. Silence can say a lot, but it doesn’t mean much at all if that’s all you hear most of the game.

So yeah, music all the time is good.

Always music! It’s a very important aspect of a game to me.

I thought Cresecendo did the best job of using music in a game that I have played. I would suggest it as a model.

Music is a very important aspect to me in a game. I mean I don’t mind if a few music sequences are looped and/or reused later on, but I like certain scenes of importance to have their own original mood setting piece. Crescendo was a great game and its usage of music made it that much better.

Yeah crescendo’s music was awesome and fit the mood of the game quite well. If I remember correctly divi-dead has a nice track that also fits the mood of the game. Let’s just say that a good soundtrack doesn’t hurt a game

Inversely, a bad soundtrack will drive you crazy. But playing without music is kind of like… well… eating a pizza without cheese or tomato sauce.

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfson:
Inversely, a bad soundtrack will drive you crazy. But playing without music is kind of like... well... eating a pizza without cheese or tomato sauce.

As long as I got a good pesto or alfredo sause as a sub it don't sound half bad [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:
(Feel free to move this to Off Topic if it shouldn't be here)

How important is it to you to have some music in your b-game? If the tracks are short and repetitive, do you even listen or do you turn it off?

This is in regards to my current project, which at the moment looks likely to have only a tiny tiny amount of music at Important Moments and no ongoing soundtrack. Something I did earlier with short looped music, at least one review complained that the music started driving him crazy after a while (And yes, there WAS an 'off' option.)

So. Do you want music all the time, is music only at meaningful storyline points okay, or do you care at all?

First, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the complaints of someone who , even though there is an option to turn the music off, complains that it is DRIVING HIM CRAZY.

That said, a few things:

1) It might be possible to have an option for people to insert their own tracks as music (may not be easily accomplishable)

2) I think music is a good thing, just because it feels ... weird, extremely, to have no music playing. It's just ... something that ... needs to be there, I think.