out of place and unneeded h-scenes

what games did you feel had unneeded or out of place h-scenes
some of them in fate stay night and some in princess waltz and 2 of the rape ends of soul link are some i have seen

Nocturnal Illusion was a great game, but it suffered some from the old school game design common in games of its era. Sleeping with every girl in the entire mansion, and then branching out for the specific ending at the very end wasn’t really necessary.

The scene where Maya gets knocked out and the MC takes her clothes off before realizing “what am I doing?” is pretty lame. But honestly, the actual h-scene with Maya always felt kinda out of place as well; it’s kind of a weak character arc for her to jump into bed with you so quickly. Likewise the manner in which Yura sleeps with you right after you rescue her is kinda weak.

And really, of all the possible problems Arisa could have had, they went with THAT one? It makes it a little too transparently an excuse to put the loli character in the game.

Tears to Tiara springs to mind. All H-scenes were completely out of context and weren’t tied to the story in any way.

Tohsaka Rin’s H-scene in Fate/Stay Night is actually one of my favorites, it’s hilarious and I love how Rin stays in character. There are oh so many eroges where heroines lose their personality completely as soon as the clothes come off.

Kourin no Machi, Lavender no Shoujo.

Basically, it’s a multi-chapter game, which is fine. In Chapter 3 you get a choice which basically determines whether you get the game’s bad end or not.
If you choose to go for the good end:
[list][]You get to choose one of the heroines to think about[/]
[]Protagonist realises he’s in love with that heroine, goes and talks to her, there’s a confession followed by a H scene that feels completely out of place given the existing personality of the character[/]
[]Afterwards, you read Chapter 4, which is exactly the same no matter which heroine you picked[/]
[]Then there’s a short epilogue with another H scene for that heroine, as bad as the first[/][/list]
If you choose to go for the bad end:
[list][]You get to choose one of the heroines to think about[/]
[]Protagonist realises he’s in love with that heroine, goes and talks to her, there’s a confession followed by a H scene that feels completely out of place given the existing personality of the character[/]
[]Story ends[/][/list]

There’s honestly no excuse for that. Even the games that people often characterise as having bad/out of place H scenes at least made an EFFORT. This is one of very few titles that I genuinely think would have been improved by removing the H scenes (and the routes themselves)

At least 60-70% of eroges have some. Sex is almost always the least original part of any eroge - while there might be hundreds of unoriginal titles in a lot of genres, there are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of HCGs/scenes that have been drawn/written in eroges. I’m not going to have too much of a problem if the scenes are well written, but generally that’s not the case, and in addition, (imo) there’s unfortunately also a reasonably strong negative correlation between number of scenes and quality of the scenario/text. For me, in addition to the poor writing, scenes feel redundant if they are poorly placed (for example back to back in quick succession, or placed just before or during critical parts of the story), reuse CGs without good reason (Alicesoft are a huge culprit of this), out of character, or are too numerous.

Since you completed it, how does it fare? How is it compared to, say, any of the Sharin no Kuni games (I include the fandisc here)?

There’s no comparison. Only Looseboy can write these stories; Kourin no Machi affirms it. Although it does manage to pull a pretty surprising twist on you, I have to give it that.

I have to agree with 90% of that. This is especially problematic with games where there are either a ton of girls (Honoo no Haramase Tenkousei comes to mind as a good example) or there are too few (most games that focus on 1-2 girls). The former tends to not have much character development, if any; if they do its usually only a few characters. The latter tends to focus either on the sex aspect having scenes every other scene at least if they aren’t focused on the non-ero romantic relationships. Those tend to have more character depth, but I find that such VNs can’t really sustain long stories without boring me due to the lack of interaction with other characters.

Ugh, one of Big Bang Ages’s biggest faults.

Whether the game is a story game or a sex romp, each H-scene needs to be unique. Otherwise, it’s just filler.

I guess Alicesoft have kind of worked themselves into a corner. In the majority of their games, including some of their ADVs, sex serves to magically recharge characters/provides stat/money bonuses etc. etc. As a result, they need to include a lot of scenes, and that number of unique CGs required ends up being far too many for the artist to manage/too expensive. resulting in a lot of duplication. Of course, Daibanchou (and some other earlier titles) are especially bad in that regard, because for whatever reason, they haven’t bothered drawing any CG variants, so in addition to creating lots of moments where the text doesn’t match what’s happening on screen, it’s just the same CGs recycled 5+ times. Hopefully they’ll get rid of the sex = bonuses feature in Daiteikoku.

If it’s broke, why fix it?

I hate seeing CG’s get reused more than once. You can use a couple of CG’s twice, but some of these games stick in whatever old CG they had and it doesn’t even match up with what the text is describing. If the games have to resort to that, then those h-scenes are not needed and should be cut. The other option is to take a little more time and money and make the scenes worthwhile, but I don’t see this option used, uh, ever really.

Having sex in thed feris wheel in Pick Me Honey, abosuly unnessary