Pay site question

quote:
Originally posted by exoarchaeologist:
so..youre suggesting...that since Animenation is so big, there is no point fighting and we might as well give in?

Didn't suggest that we wouldn't fight, I just said what might happen in a worst case scenario.

sigh,

i guess we should email all the affected companies and see what sort of statements they make…

hrm, i dont see any email info for whoever actually owns PeachPrincess just the webmaster…
Hey Lamuness? have you been reading this thread? can you pass the info to the right people?

[This message has been edited by exoarchaeologist (edited 08-14-2002).]

quote:
sigh,

i guess we should email all the affected companies and see what sort of statements they make....

Well, before I take up my mighty katana to begin the fight, I'd like to see the sites. Haven't seen em yet, and if we're going to fight 'em, thne I want to see my enemy [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img].

quote:
perhaps if all those companies knew about the situtation, and asked animenation to either stop HFlood, or stop selling their games....

Not that I like being a cynic, but...

Okay, so I love being a cynic. So take this! HA HA!

1) Which do you think makes the Big Cheeses more money? I'll give you one guess (that guess being the pirate sites).

2) What, you want Peach Princess to tell Animenation to just *keep* the stock they have?

quote:
Not that I like being a cynic, but...

Okay, so I love being a cynic. So take this! HA HA!

1) Which do you think makes the Big Cheeses more money? I'll give you one guess (that guess being the pirate sites).

2) What, you want Peach Princess to tell Animenation to just *keep* the stock they have?

well, for point 1
which direction they choose isnt really the issue, the point is that we on our end shouldnt allow them to have it both ways

and point 2, true, even if PeachPrincess were to stop selling them more games they still have the existing stock, but i dont think that matters too much, since thats only a short-term problem

its really a matter of principals,
sure, we probably will be able never stop them, but we dont have to give them any help either

quote:

well, for point 1
which direction they choose isnt really the issue, the point is that we on our end shouldnt allow them to have it both ways

Sure, but given that they would probably tell us to screw off, you have to at least consider the question of whether the visibility boost from animenation is worth compromising one's idealism.

refreshing old topic

well, ive just gone onto the animejump messageboard and informed the rest of the world about the animenation situation

would any of you like to go there and contribute to the thread?

oh, and how about other messageboards?

Its kinda funny… heres a quote from the ‘submit artwork’ section.

4. Please, no pics from artists who haven’t given their permission for us to display their stuff.

They’re setting themselves up so they can hide behind the ‘I didn’t know it was bad’ story.

I’m under the impression that the site is a pet project of animenation, since it looks to me as if a single dedicated person (or even in thier spare time) could run the place. They just get thier content from subscribers. Doesn’t seem like they do any real work to manage it.

Also, I’m a bit uncertain as to how many people actually pay for these H pay site. ‘Back in the day’, when I was first looking for H, way back when, it was relatively easy to dodge around the pay sites and find stuff free. I don’t think much has changed. Hell, thats how I landed here, found an illigal copy of tokimeki floating around, learned about the plight of bishoujo game sales, and ended up getting the game from animenation (doh!).

Oh, exoarchaeologist, have you tried the animenation message board ?

Doddler

umh guys
reply to my thread at animejump
"Why Im Never Shopping Animenation.com Again"
we’re losing support already
the first reply was a doubtful one

i need more supportive voices there, its for the good of the Hgame market

Well, I’d love to, but that would require me registering, and they use an email-confirmation system…so I don’t think the email is going to get to me. I said my email was nandemonaBADSPAMGOAWAYi@hotmail.com, so I assume they’re going to email that and it will bounce.

quote:
umh guys
reply to my thread at animejump
"Why Im Never Shopping Animenation.com Again"
we're losing support already
the first reply was a doubtful one

i need more supportive voices there, its for the good of the Hgame market

Thing is... The readers are morons and just don't know about the genre. Hard to say: "Prob. that Key allowed them to posts Kanon's pics is 0%" because while all bishoujo gamers would bet their shirts on it, non-bishoujo gamers wouldn't know abything about it. And the prob. of actually contacting Key and have their answers about it also is 0%...

i have interesting news
see, i was looking for a way to prove that HFlood was legit or not, so i sent an email to their pres. Gene Field (using the contact info from the webserver DNS registration info)

basically i pretended to be interested in getting membership, but said wanted to know if it was legitimate or not first

thing is, i guess he never looked at my email, nor did he realize it was about HFlood, because he forwarded it to one of the Animenation staff to reply to it
and so, John Oppliger of Animenation replied, saying that unfortunately HFlood did not have the artitsts’ permission to use the artwork, heh, i guess he didnt realize he was working for them

highly ironic isnt it?

here is the text of the message:

Return-Path: John@animenation.org
Received: from exchange.animenation.com ([204.118.248.2])
by penguin (EarthLink SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 17JmpC2nw3NZFl40
for adriansue@earthlink.net; Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:08:19 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: 302813D513A8D311B69900105A988C7BD72A5E@EXCHANGE
To: ‘Adrian Sue’ adriansue@earthlink.net
Subject: RE: membership question
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:15:48 -0400
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----_=NextPart_001_01C24D1B.D834FDA0"

------=NextPart_001_01C24D1B.D834FDA0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"

Unfortunately, the hFlood Archive, like virtually 99.9% of all adult anime
sites on the internet, hosts Japanese PC game and doujinshi art without
express written permission from the original Japanese creators.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 10:32 PM
To: Gene Field
Subject: membership question

hello
i was considering a membership at your site HFlood
but i was worried that i might be breaking the law by joining
i can’t tell from the sample images, but it looks like a number of the
images are from Japanese bishoujo games, and im wondering if you have
managed to aquire permission from all those different companies to use their
images

i really would like to join, but i need to know if it is legal or not first
thanks,
Adrian Sue

------
=_NextPart_001_01C24D1B.D834FDA0
Content-Type: text/html;
charset=“iso-8859-1”

[This message has been edited by exoarchaeologist (edited 08-26-2002).]

quote:
Unfortunately, the hFlood Archive, like virtually 99.9% of all adult anime
sites on the internet, hosts Japanese PC game and doujinshi art without
express written permission from the original Japanese creators.

In other words, they are admitting they are using the images without express written consent, AND, doing it with that knowledge, AND are profitting from it, AND use the shield that "if everybody else is doing it, why shouldn't I?".

Never bought from them, and never will...

The crime has been admited! I wonder if people would still believe it, through… and John might deny it from now on.

Funny, through; Animenation takes such a hard stance against piraticy on their site; yet they are doing it themselves. such hypocrites…

exoarchaeologist-san, you should post that email as an evidence in the BBS you’re spreading the word against AN…

quote:
i have interesting news
see, i was looking for a way to prove that HFlood was legit or not, so i sent an email to their pres. Gene Field (using the contact info from the webserver DNS registration info)

basically i pretended to be interested in getting membership, but said wanted to know if it was legitimate or not first

thing is, i guess he never looked at my email, nor did he realize it was about HFlood, because he forwarded it to one of the Animenation staff to reply to it
and so, John Oppliger of Animenation replied, saying that unfortunately HFlood did not have the artitsts' permission to use the artwork, heh, i guess he didnt realize he was working for them

highly ironic isnt it? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by exoarchaeologist (edited 08-26-2002).]

This email is all the proof you should need to convince people of this. This *should* be the end of it. Of course, we all know how likely that is...people don't want to have to admit it, so they'll refuse to believe it.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
This email is all the proof you should need to convince people of this. This *should* be the end of it. Of course, we all know how likely that is...people don't want to have to admit it, so they'll refuse to believe it.

"People believe what the want to believe, Manny". If you've played Grim Fandango, I'm sure that yo reknogized that line [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img].

You could also be devious and post repeatedly to the animenation boards this email and the connection, and accuse them of piracy. The entire point being, of course, to get them to ban you so they will look suspicious.

well i think that a good strategy would be to forward the emails to the appropriate directors of a few large anime cons
being banned from a convention would prompt a public statement by at least one of the parties as to why, and this would then become public knowledge

i dont think we can actually shut down the site, but it could prove a useful tool for spreading awareness of hentai/bishoujo to the public, since animenation is rather well known

so…any suggestions for conventions that are highly strict about bootleg/priacy stuff? and any good contacts?

[This message has been edited by exoarchaeologist (edited 08-28-2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
Sounds like greed.

And greed is everywhere, as they say.