Princess Waltz: Card battle system

As do I, are there any videos available that showing some of Princess Waltz’s game play?

We’ll be putting up more information on the card battle system as development progresses, but for an immediate fix you can download a Japanese trial version of the game complete with a sample card battle here.

A basic explanation from memory (I may have a few of the details a bit off):

Cards have two attributes: suit (color) and number.
Your goal is to play a hand with a higher total number (all of the hand’s card numbers added together) than your opponent’s hand.

Your hand total is affected by two things:

1. the number of cards you choose to play; this is basic arithmetic (a “6” card and a “3” card played together provide a hand total of 9, a “6” card played alone provides a total of 6). If your opponent plays a two card hand you will probably want to play two or more as well.
  2. the suit(s) of the cards in your opponent’s hand. before you play your hand you are able to see the suits of your opponents cards. suits oppose each other in scissors-paper-rock fashion, so if you play a dominant suit against its weaker suit you receive bonus points to your hand score (if red beats green and you play two red cards against your opponent’s three green cards you get a bonus that might make up for your holding a card back).

Combat consists of two rounds, and you and your opponent each has five cards to play over those two rounds in any combination you choose (1/4, 2/3, etc).

That’s the basic mechanic; as the game progresses you are able to purchase a variety of spells that provide special bonus variations to attack and defense; up to three spells may be equipped before each battle. You can also purchase points in each of the three suits that will raise the average face number you pull in each suit when you draw a hand for combat.

[ 08-10-2007, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Shingo ]

Okay, I have a question about Princess Waltz… is the blonde character with a braid a guy or a girl… cuz I have no idea. It says he, but one of the CGs looks like him in a cheerleader outfit.

“He’s” actually a girl, but she was raised to be a prince…

Also remember how this game has been compared with Fate/Stay Night? Doesn’t this particular character resemble someone? :smiley:

There seems to be several trial versions and one demo for download there. Which one did you intend?

The very top one, with the card battle screenshot. Download links are directly below (a large cluster of “DOWNLOAD” text links).

Edit: by the way, if you want to skip the intro ADV part of the game and go straight to the battle a save file is provided built in to the demo that you can load and proceed directly to the battle (load via the “load” menu, no fancy installation required).

We’re not going to be providing any official support for the Japanese version of the demo, though we’re looking into the possibility of releasing an English version.

[ 08-19-2007, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Shingo ]

SPOILER ALERT!

Um, I don’t think of this as a spoiler, since the Japanese site outright states this info…

Yea well, I can’t read Japanese.So for me that was a spoiler.

We deliberately put up CG to reveal her as a girl because it’s not meant to be a secret within the overall plot and would be very hard to adequately provide a preview of the game without giving it away (as the Japanese official site readily admits). It’s not a spoiler to the player (to whom it’s immediately obvious) as much as it is to the characters within the game who aren’t quite so quick on the uptake.

I’m leaving it as “him” for now because that’s how all of the other characters percieve “him” in the beginning of the game. If you can think of a better way to present this contradiction I’m all ears.

Chris Northfield
“The mysterious exchange student who appears before Arata claiming to be the prince of a kingdom called Seven Central. While his refined conduct befits such a role, he is quite approachable and makes friends easily.”

^ This is Chris’ profile copied from Jast USA site,as you can see, it refers to Chris as a “he” and there aren’t any sample CGs up yet.So it is impossible to tell that “he” is really a “she”.

Chris Northfield
“The mysterious exchange student who appears before Arata claiming to be the prince of a kingdom called Seven Central. While his refined conduct befits such a role, he is quite approachable and makes friends easily. What is the secret of his true identity?”

^ Chris’ profile copied form PP’s site,and as you can see; it also refers to Chris as a “he”. Unlike Jast USA the PP site has sample CGs. When they were first put up I just glanced at them, didn’t pay them much attention.Because of possible spoilers. Now that I’ve gone back and really looked at them I see what you meant by “We deliberately put up CG to reveal her as a girl”.But that’s just my fault for not paying attention.

Well…that’s all I’m gonna say on the subject…

Seriously, how many guys other than Willie Nelson have hair like that? Obviously it was a girl…