Princess Waltz is coming

First of all, have you seen the Princess Waltz official page, at http://www.princesswaltz.com ? It’s quite nice, we think. The game is Golden Master and will be shipping soon, probably in 3 weeks or so. We hope you’re as excited about this awesome game as us.

One note: based on the high level of reliability of the new Software Defender system, and because we are being asked by the Japanese publisher (Will) to make sure the game is protected against software piracy, we’ve made the decision to add the Software Defender protection to this game (both versions). This system is 1000% times better than the V-Mate system, as it requires no background program to be installed, and an Internet connection is only needed for activation the first time, and it’s fully compatible with Windows Vista 64 bit. You can install a Software Defender game on your laptop, activate it once, and take it on a business trip to a place with no Internet connection and the game will boot fine.

We understand any system like this has the potential to turn off some users just by its existence. We really think this is the right system to serve all our users and protect our products from the rampant piracy that everyone knows is out there, with almost 0.00% inconvenience for our users. Also, we need to be true to the Japanese companies who are taking risks by letting us license their software, and they have asked us to protect these new software programs, since we want to get even better games in the future.

I believe that J-List and JAST USA has always been worthy of the trust of our customers, and I hope everyone realizes that we would not act in a draconian way with our products. In case there’s any doubt on the issue, we’ll state up front that we’ll issue full refunds to any customer who has issues with activated software, and if significant problems should occur, we promise to take whatever steps are necessary to fix things, including releasing patch files. If we should go out of business (not that we have any plans to – we love these games!) our last act as a company will be to post any applicable patches to protected software products to a public server so customers who have been supportive of us can be assured that they can play the games into the future.

Hopefully we’ll continue to have the trust and support of dedicated bishoujo gaming fans in the future. Time will tell!

Would it still be possible to install the software on more than one computer?

Here’s the Issue: Im going to be using another computer somewhere else for a while, will I be able to uninstall the program from that one, and then install it to another one?

Just recently, I read this article at Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93755 and I found myself agreeing with it.

Anyway, if it’s a request from your japanese partners, I guess there’s not much you can do about it. I only hope this software doesn’t bring any problem. And of course, thank you for your work, we greatly appreciate it :wink:

Well, I won’t hope too far that anything will prevent piracy. I’ve many times heard about new and innovative copyright protection method and… well, they failed eventually to the pirates, shame :frowning: The new copyright protection system may work out if God blesses you guys, or not, time will tell, eh?

Anyway, good luck with the next game. Good to hear that the game runs well with Vista

Hmm… in 3 weeks… probably i’ve spent all my money i got paid from this month by then :lol:

I disapprove of most silly DRM on principle (and many cause more harm than good) however this one sounds workable enough not to be a huge problem. I also appreciate PP taking the time to let us know about this instead of just springing it as a nasty surprise. :slight_smile:

I am a little dissapointed with the decision to use DRM, however I can understand it to a certain extent.

That being said I would like to express a certain concern I have. If the DRM system is beaten then PP is effectively offering a substandard product, and by that I mean a superior product (no activation is required) can be obtained over the internet for free, this would only serve to increase piracy on the product, not reduce it. Therefore, I think you need to be pretty confident it won’t be beaten or it won’t be doing you any favors at all.

As you can probably tell I am not overly fond of DRM as I feel it punishes the loyal customer, but even taking this into account I should point out that I am not dissuaded from purchasing Princess Waltz in the slightest as missing out on this game is just not an option I wish to consider at all.

It’s less irritating than V-Mate, yes, but I still thought that Software Defender was specific for DOWNLOADABLE videogames from online shops like DLsite.
It’s common/normal protection for DVD releases, too? :? :? :?
I have NO problem with this, but the online version of Princess Waltz has now gained MUCH more value to my eyes :stuck_out_tongue: .

;_;
Does the Japanese version of Princess Waltz contain DRM too?

I hope Peach Princess is able to re-release the game in the future, to be DRM free… (after say 5 to 10 years?)! I’d easily buy a second copy of Princess Waltz if it turns out to be a favorite :smiley: That’s what happened with some of the V-mate titles right? It started off with DRM, but then eventually got reprinted without DRM?

Of course this statement eases my worries somewhat :slight_smile:

and from the e-mail notice I recieved…

Wow, this sounds eerily like the activation system used in Spore, Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect, and more.

There’s been quite a backlash to it judging by the Amazon reviews, the lawsuit, and even Will Wright saying he understands the problems.

People don’t like this limited install stuff, especially with physical products. The product will be cracked either way. Most (if not all) of those games were released online before the official release date.

I’m comtemplating about cancelling my order.

Well the news of protection software sucks. :expressionless:

Nonetheless I’m sticking with my preorder for the title. There’s some battles worth fighting, and there’s some battles not worth fighting. I’m sure PP tried their best to avoid the guardware, and I see no reason to blacklist PP titles simply for something beyond their control. Seeing how MG has to weather the DRM issue, it doesn’t surprise me that Japanese license contracts are getting so anal about it. No point in punishing PP for something “God Most High” has decreed.

The biggest problem with putting install limits on a physical product is that it prevents resale (which is exactly what the people doing it generally want). But with a working de-install system, that becomes less of an issue, and I can’t really argue too hard against mild protections if they work properly, since I do buy downloadable games (not v-mate, casual games) that can’t be resold at all.

Based on the info on Software Defender, I think the limit is on the number of PC’s, not the number of installs, It uses a sort of hardware check to activate the key.

It makes it difficult to resell, though it should have a deactivation ability.

Will basically forced it…

I might try out Software Defender’s trial version this evening and see what it’s like.

Yet this is the same excuse that all those involved in the banking disaster used. The whole system was set up so everyone could say “It’s not my fault, it’s this other entity’s fault” and thus the whole system had no one responsible for anything.

Not that the conclusion is bad – this DRM system does seem like something I might be able to live with, depending on the answer to the question I’m about to post – but that logic isn’t 100% airtight. People can and have driven truck thru that loophole :slight_smile:

Edit: didn’t want to create too many unnecessary posts. Are these the guys? http://softwaredefender.com/ Cause that site looks kind of … questionable. $19.95 a month for commercial-grade DRM software? Typos all over the website?

I note one thing your post did not cover: Is there a limited number of activations?

Um, the low price is only for the first 500 customers…

As for the number of activations, you can activate it on 5 installs, according to the Email I got, but it also says you can deactivate one if you uninstall, if I’m reading it correctly…

so if you have a computer that crashes alot
like more than 5 time in a short time period are you screwed

Not happy to hear about this at all, but then again I can’t say I didn’t see it coming either. Very sad to hear that PP has been forced into this situation as well. I’ll still be getting the game, obviously, as has already been mentioned, there’s no reason customers should punish PP for this.(Despite the fact many no doubt probably will.)

This leads me to a question, however. Seeing as this was a decision that was forced onto PP by Will, is it correct to assume that future games, such as the upcoming Family Project, will not include this DRM? Or is this predicted to become a common practice for all future PP releases?

I think you can ask them to reactivate your install if that happens

Saying don’t blame PP and continue buying the game will just let the Japanese companies see that the consumers are fine with having their rights controlled. A massive amount of people not buying the game is the only way the message will get through. If I keep buying EA’s games despite their DRM just to support the developers, the DRM is only going to get worse (I mean, their original idea was to put activation AND periodic online checks and the bacaklash made them tone it down.) Only a bigger backlash can get them to remove it. Pirates don’t see the DRM. Only legitimate customers do.