Princess Waltz review-ish rant

I’d like to firstly establish the fact that I don’t really play very many visual novels. In fact I have only played Fate/Stay Night, Narcissu, Princess Waltz and Saya no uta. I hope you’ll pardon my ignorance if I miss out on any of the ‘better’ visual novels, which I will get to eventually. I also hope I don’t come across as being too facetious or pompous. Everything written below expresses my opinion and is by no means a fact.

I would have a very difficult time describing Princess Waltz. It’s not a mindless sex romp but at the same time, the story isn’t very compelling and there is no diversity in choices to justify the mostly linear gameplay. Some sequences I felt could be cut out entirely as it did little to develop the characters or deepen/advance the story (like the scene where Angela is stuck in some void, fighting off the guardians. This scene was never really explained or had much meaning). Let’s not forget the meal scenes, apparently it’s required for any visual novel to exist. At least Princess Waltz’s iteration of it was okay and sparse, unlike the constant barrage of meal scenes in Fate/Stay Night which were a pain to sit through, especially with Taiga.(God help me if I was ever locked in a room with her). The characters are somewhat likeable but fall into clichÈs (Rich brat Angela, goofy Lun-Lun, don’t forget the mandatory ‘good girl’ Suzushiro ect.) which make it hard to honestly say you won’t expect what they’ll do next. Or the story for that matter.

Ah, the story. Six princesses risking their lives all for a prince, I’m sure that won’t have any sexually degrading implications whatsoever. The feminists are going to have a field day. A personal gripe I have is that every heroine swoons to Arata without much if any input from him.(You know, besides, the compulsory pep talk that boosts the Princesses morale, even if it sucks. And it always does.) I snicker every time I see something like this. It just blew any semblance of the Princesses being actual people away. This is exacerbated when Arata is discovered to be, lo and behold, the prince(well, the other half anyway). When I say the Princesses only exist to serve Arata, it really shows. No matter which princess you choose, the rest will be fine with it. Never mind they just made (what I want to believe) a difficult sacrifice to sleep with him, they got rejected anyway. But you now what? That’s fine. And not the ‘fine’ Sekai was with Makoto in that last episode. They will still support their incredible prince anyway.(Don’t you love the scene at the fortress/castle where they argue over whose prince it is?) You know what, it’s all for the best because Arata is a douche. He boldly proclaims that Chris is the only love in his life (at least numero uno) before having sex with another princess and telling her how much he loves her. Additionally, he knows and I quote ‘no other way’ to synchronise with the other princesses other than to sleep with them. What an ace. And though this all? The princess in question is 100% fine with it. I’m just glad Arata didn’t need to synchronise with ALL the princesses. Speaking of sexual implications, remember the rings that allowed Chris and Arata to transform into Iris? Well, apparently prolonged exposure makes the princess in question want to have sex with you. Badly. Another tacky theme which didn’t need to be there. In fact for a Visual Novel that seems to set itself up for a wild orgy it has few such scenes, (which are tasteless and too graphic for me anyway as all scenes in Visual Novels are) which I find odd. Another oddity is the fact that Chris chose to go to school, where her secret could be exposed, when she could have simply avoided it altogether. Of course she couldn’t meet pimp daddy Arata(though it’ll probably be for the best) and then where would this Visual Novel be?

The only choices in this game are basically which princess you want to have sex with. It’s crude but true. There is a grand total (correct me if I’m wrong) of four choices at three different scenes(in Chris manor). That’s really all there is to it.

Improvements could have been made in so many places. The Visual Novel felt quite haphazard and it shows, as mentioned before there is a distinct lack of focus. Personally I feel that most of the story has to be overhauled if it wants to be taken even somewhat seriously. I would have preferred being able to pick and stick to a princess from and get go (and not having to put up with Chris) with divergent, unique stories for each princess.(Not having to be Arata and instead a character you shape would be a huge plus too.) Overall, this is a game which is mediocre at best. While I personally still like it, I feel it lacks substance. Most Visual Novels and so called ‘romantic comedy’ or ‘romance’ anime are plagued by so many clichÈs (especially the above and including but not limited to perfect characters* see maid sama) that has long since over saturated the Japanese market. I can only hope this is a dying trend and more quality works like Death Note (though I hope it will be translated to Visual Novel form, the success that is) will be produced.

I was almost completely agreeing up to the point when I saw Death Note and quality in the same sentence. Well, that part didn’t have my complete agreement to say the least.

I was severely disappointed with Princess Waltz as well - I expected a poor man’s Fate / Stay Night (that’s how people described it to me) and instead got a colorful girl-on-girl battle royale (one nowhere near as awesome as it might sound). Sure, the combat system was surprisingly deep and the music was gorgeous, but, in the end, I wasn’t impressed.

While I don’t think you’re being fair to some of the characters (ie: Angela is a competitive rich girl jerkass with a heart of cold; Suzushiro is a seemingly prim-and-proper yandere [I hate Yuko Goto’s performance]; Shizuka is the cool big sis [appropriately voiced by one of my favorite VAs, Shizuka Ito]), I agree that, as a VN, the story was kind of insulting - especially the WTF / To Be Continued at the end of Chapter 1.

A minor correction, though: the branching in the game was three back-to-back decisions in the same scene, not three different ones (pick any girl twice and you have her ending; otherwise, you get the “hidden character” - how original). Well, the decision map in My Girlfriend is the President is even more shallow (finished all five endings two days ago), so this is kinda par for the course with titles that don’t really have a strong story component.

I wouldn’t say that Princess Waltz is sexist (it shows six strong women who are quite competent as sovereigns, all vying for political power), but I do agree that the whoever-beats-the-snot-outta-the-others-gets-to-get-married isn’t the best premise to base a story on (I was rolling my eyes at the opening narration). Really, they could have done a lot better than they did.

A friend of mine said that Princess Waltz would made a better shounen anime than a visual novel, and I don’t find myself disagreeing with him…

This feminist certainly has no objection to the girls fighting over the prince. :slight_smile:

Princess Waltz has some of the worst sex scenes I’ve ever encountered, though, and they felt like such a waste of a fun premise. There are a lot of elements that could have made for some really crunchy angst, but most of them were ignored completely. And I personally like scenes where characters don’t entirely want to have sex (as rational actors) but are under the influence of some external force and can’t help giving in… but this one was just gross, not sexy at all.

It probably would have been a better story with all the sex removed entirely, and Arata just falling hopelessly in love with Chris and the other girls stepping in to help as his friends rather than secondary sex toys. On the other hand, I appreciate the subversiveness of luring people into playing what on some level is a trans male/male love story with the promise of random harem sex.

(And of course, there’s the elephant in the room of the issue of the next generation…)

I liked parts of Death Note, but overall thought it was ridiculous and over the top, a) to the point of being unbelievable and silly, and b) to the point that it drowned out the stuff that was actually interesting.

And overall, I liked Princess Waltz much more than you did. In general I do agree with many of those complaints, but I did like the characters anyway. (The sync process causes an uncontrollable urge for … pizza? Really? You had to go there?)

So I guess I’m pretty much exactly the opposite. I want to see more things like Princess Waltz (with some tweaks) than things like Death Note.

I found the first part of Death Note to be entertaining since I found the characters to be likable enough to watch and there was some suspense in that we weren’t quite sure who would win. The second part I just skimmed through with the manga since the charac ters didn’t have as much life in them as before and it was obvious how it was going to end so there really wasn’t any suspense anymore either. I’ll admit I liked Light’s story, but not because I saw him as a hero like most fans did, but because his story makes an interesting portrayal of the rise and fall of dictator. In fact my brother and I spent nearly an hour comparing Light to Robespierre from the French Revolution…I wonder how many people I weirded out with that very statement?

As for Princess Waltz, I enjoyed it mainly because I liked the characters so much and the artwork and voice acting was good too, though i will admit the villains for the game came off as annoying and too invincible.

Pretty much all I remember from this game is Liliana. She was very funny. I guess the rest was meh.

To be fair, the first half of death note was quite entertaining and while it wasn’t perfect, it was definitely a step in the right direction. Oh, and Liliana wins, hands down.

Based on the anime and movies (I’m not interested in the manga at the moment), Death Note was great until the death of L. Lawliet. I love the commentary on vigilante values and losing sight of one’s ideals.

Liliana was great, I’ll admit, but I still prefer Shizuka’s personality. Don’t know where I’d rank Angela, but she’s in my top three for this game.

I liked Light the character, but the ‘detective’ stuff just got too ridiculous, such convoluted plans that played into each other so perfectly that if anybody had done anything slightly different than what the other person assumed that A would do in response to B’s anticipated response to A’s anticipated response to … – it just got ludicrous. Entropy is too high in the real world for plans that complex to work.

It had a really good idea - in fact, it’s a criticism I’ve occasionally had: With the awesome supernatural powers that they have, a great many anime characters could do so much to make the world a better place.

That’s actually the one thing I really like about Death Note: in the prototype, the kid kills a couple of people that were annoying him, then decides to put things back the way they were. Then when it got turned into a series, it became about something much more interesting.

It’s always really bugged me, shows like Heaven’s Lost Property. A bunch of supernatural beings show up, completely loyal to the main character, and they say they’d do whatever you wanted them to do … anything at all … so give me an order please Master –

… Okay. The violent drug gangs fighting for control of Mexico? Wipe them out. Then go overthrow the government of Iran. And the Sudan. And China. There are so many despotic regimes in the world, it’s hard to decide which one is the most deserving of being wiped off the face of the Earth first. The main characters in these shows have the power to do such a thing, and yet they leave so many to suffer so much.

Aaaaand then you’ve just conquered the world. Great! There’s no possible way this can go wrong! Why, that’s the start of any proper Sith lord’s fall to the Dark Side, and the best part of the origin story of the villain of Fables.

This is the single thing about Death Note, compared to all the other takes on this story that I’ve seen before, that makes it any good at all. It asks a great question … and then promptly gets derailed because it never really wanted to go there.

Why is it okay for nation-states to arrest people, imprison them for years, and even execute them … and not okay for Light to do it?

But the manga isn’t about political science at all, it’s a detective mystery. And that’s too bad, because the political science question part of it was (to me anyway) infinitely more interesting than what the story was actually about.

I loved this game my only compalints are, the final boss being highly hard even on easy, and no honofics