Question: Game Genres

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:

YES, I am bullheaded enough to plow through the job if it were at all feasible. I am an indie game developer, and a crackpot. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Tell me how to get text out of these .pt1 files and I will be RIGHT ON THE JOB.

*sigh*

You're an indie game developer? Cool. You may want to drop me an email - I looked in your profile but nothing was there. Fannotation projects are frowned upon here.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Then if the artist is not there, get premission and hire those that can do it, if it is not the original artist so long as they can copy that style it's not a huge issue in my book.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-22-2004).]

The Japanese would, I think. I'm just taking blind stabs here, as I've never been there and must confess ignorance. But I don't think they'd be amused by that thought. I doubt that very much. They're miffed at the thought of uncensoring anyway.

quote:
Ah but it is not revolutionary at this point in time, in fact it is often joked about up there with Pong and fanbase or no, they are also trying to sell it to "newcomers" to these games and to the gamers that would never have had an Atari because they were not born in time. It is a good analogy, old=old, and how can you blindly say there is no fanbase, have we not truly tried these games, other then DOR to see if there is a fanbase or not that might arise to support them?
[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-23-2004).]

It is NOT a good analogy. The work involved in localizing a b-game is not comparable to the amount of work required to do a greatest-hits collection.

Greatest hits collections oftentimes border on being shovelware.

Yeah but if it brings them profit perhaps they could stand to be miffed. I am all for taking a stand, I am all for drawing a line, but I am not for people saying “well if there was a small chance of a possible profit we would do it no matter what it took. Oh that is how to get that small chance, well we won’t do that…” okay that might not be what is going on but if it is one of the reasons these companies would not consider self-editing to me that is well not the best reason.

quote:

To assume failure is to ensure failure, if no one has tried this yet we cannot assume they will fail, nor can we assume total success but I still think we can assume some success since these games are old in style and age but new to this market. Being old in age still allows for selling in the way I mentioned.

I think I'll rest my case since our difference is too fundamental. I can only hope that PeaPri & G-C wouldn't venture into something like old style DOS games in the future.

To each his own. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Think of it like this. People don't make new movies using '80's special effects. Even though there would arguably be cost savings involved in using such outdated technology. People wouldn't be interested in the movie because it would be judged by the standards of the here and now. Actual movies from the 80's are judged differently, both as a recognition of "different era, different standards" and also because of the nostalgia factor.

Actually they might be more impressive and look more real today why? Because we are mostly cynics, and believe any "trick shot" must be CG even if it is not CG. And once again NO I AM NOT SAYING IT IS THE ONLY WAY BUT IT IS A WAY TO GET SALES STARTED, sorry no one seems to be seeing that unless I make it that obvious.

quote:
It is NOT a good analogy. The work involved in localizing a b-game is not comparable to the amount of work required to do a greatest-hits collection.

Greatest hits collections oftentimes border on being shovelware.

It IS a good analogy because at least I am not talking WORK INVOLVED within this analogy nor should anyone else be at this point. I don't think that is right to change it midstream to work involved rather then simply selling what is seen as old. I am talking about what is being sold, not if they spend 90 months on it rather then 90 seconds, old=old for the purposes of selling, yes work enters into price, but not always into people's desire to buy what is at least new to them or is a throwback to something they want to relive in terms of style within a new to them game.

quote:
Fannotation projects are frowned upon here.

... did you notice that my post was asking for the company to sell us a game+editor kit combo and allow us to translate the game for our own personal use? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Not quite the same thing.

As for my games, I don't mention it much here to avoid snide comments about the artwork I can afford not being to the standards of gorgeous bishoujo. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] http://www.hanakogames.com is my site.

Your site is actually ranked pretty high in search engines… not sure if you knew that or not. The only reason I know is because I was just there a few days ago pondering trying out charm school lol

quote:
Actually they might be more impressive and look more real today why? Because we are mostly cynics, and believe any "trick shot" must be CG even if it is not CG. And once again NO I AM NOT SAYING IT IS THE ONLY WAY BUT IT IS A WAY TO GET SALES STARTED, sorry no one seems to be seeing that unless I make it that obvious.

And I am saying I think you're wrong. I don't think this would work until after the b-game market is already established.

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
I second that.

That's what disgusted me about the Wind of Ebenbourgh-anime: Claude McDonal was entirely OOC when he suddenly bedded any pretty girl within sight!

I still love the game, though...

Damn that was a game?? Didn't know that now you got me interested in the game.

Sorry gotta agree with Nandemonai here. Right now I don’t think there’s a market for the older games because there is no nostalgic value in the games. We remember Quest of Glory, Leasure suit Larry, wizard’s crown, Pirate’s, ect because we played them years ago. Unfortunately for old bishoujo games we haven’t played them before so now they just look like old dated games with antiquated graphics. Classic releases only work when you have a fanbase that has played the game before when it was first released years ago.

The nostalgic value comes in the design, I mean come on none of us were alive for the 17th Century, or if any of us were there goes most of every major belief system, yet some alive today would pay in the thousands for a 17th Century piece of art or a clock. Now there is still art being made, there are clocks which are “better” faster, etc. Yet these clocks might be new to the people buying them since they have only seen similar ones in pictures and yet they are unquestionably old, so the old aspect is sold.

Except in what people are willing because of the limit within the market there is no real difference in selling something that is old like art, and something that is old like these games.

Sell the design, these are new games in the old style, well new to us and that is one way one way one way, since everyone seems fixate on it being the only way I decided to repeat myself three times to hopefully clarify the issue, to sell these games.

I think the market is here and since everyone is convienced of failure there is nothing to lose if these companies do fail, they aren’t in the market today and won’t be for a while so if they fail today they still won’t try again for a while, nothing can be lost by the attempt.

Before someone says it, sure money and time can be, but then again time can be considered lost when we commute each day since that is not spent with loved ones, not spent working and not spent doing something enjoyable, and money is lost pay bills, even if we must pay the bills we can be seen as losing money.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-26-2004).]

In the real world venture capitalists demand a high return on investment. Similarly, small entrepreneurs struggling to gain a foothold in the market need to show the greatest profit just to cover salaries and overhead. Given the availability of new titles with better graphics, sound and OS compatibility, older collections would seem less likely candidates. I would probably risk a few dollars on a reissue - though I can’t think of many out of print titles besides True Love and Gin-iro that meet the definition of “classic”.

Yeah and in the real world no one can always live “by the book” which is what you are suggesting, or there would never be a old things cherished, there never would be classics because everything would be forced into being forgotten the second it was done with because who in their right mind would want to play a game, read or watch something over when they already know the ending?

Also in the “real world” many venture capitalists are greedy impatient people who continually fail to understand that a risk that costs them in the short run might net them major bucks in the long run each time this might take place they call it a fluke. Well how many flukes form a fair chance of something happening?

Small businesses fail, but the question that my class was always asked by my professor is, do they fail because they take risks, or because they don’t take enough risks? Banks are always willingly to lend money, since they charge interest, so capital itself is can be found even for these small companies.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-26-2004).]

OK. Well, which games would you like to see in an anthology compilation? I’d like to know which titles you consider worthy of the cost of licensing, updating and repackaging, given the hit that current production schedules of the existing developers would take.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Damn that was a game?? Didn't know that now you got me interested in the game.

It is a game and a pretty nice one too!

It was the first Studio e-Go-game that I ever bought and it got me hooked instantly!

You may regard it as a "The Maid's story"-deluxe with real storylines. But the focus here is not on the night-lessons but instead on restoring the mansion back to its former state.
Opposed to the anime (where Mylene seduces Claude on his day of arrival) it takes several months and certain events for her and Charlotte to open up to him that much in the game.

Oh, and of course, it has the typical brilliant graphics of studio e-Go-games that are several classes beyond the rather flat and dull graphics style in the anime.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
OK. Well, which games would you like to see in an anthology compilation? I'd like to know which titles you consider worthy of the cost of licensing, updating and repackaging, given the hit that current production schedules of the existing developers would take.

Well obviously the first ones I would try are perhaps the first three or four Princess Makers since there are many sites I have seen in English requesting them, enough to make up all the costs, who knows, those that pirate it perhaps, but when there is nothing else on the market it will happen perhaps more then when there is a choice. I know people that admit to pirating it with the caveat they would not if it was on the market, and no that does not excuse the pirating, but they are people I trust and know would not do that if the games where here on the market. Or perhaps some of the many tied into anime or manga, such as Eva games, perhaps slightly newer To Heart, and Comic Party even though I imagine these can be very expensive even in an older format because they are tied into current anime being sold or are popular in their own right they might be even more worth the investment. Which is further a possibility because these are also names and titles people would know and likely be drawn to looking into more about because they already know these titles from other sources or from rumors floating around the net about this mythical raising game which almost but not quite made it into the market.

Also having said some of my titles or ideas keep in mind people like you once thought such longshots as radio with pictures aka television, a huge theme park in a desert aka Disney, international air travel, many early computer companies, and a small shoestring budget sci-fi film called Star Wars (and other similar examples) were not worthy of the cost of at least helping to license, giving some money backing to, whatever, and maybe these are the flukes, but go back in time and tell people they will be the flukes and they will laugh, as people will now probably tell me these are the exceptions to the rule and that is why they are flukes yet that does not change the fact no one thought they would work and yet they did work and if any of those idiots that said it would not, had invested they would have gotten their money back.

This market is not as new as, so people say they can predict failures and successes, sure as people knew in the established travel industry no one would want to spend a few hours rather then a week crossing the Atlantic, people knew in the established entertainment industry no one would want pictures with their radio, they knew no one in the tourist industry would travel to the desert to see a theme park when traveling along state highways there were numerous smaller roadside attractions, and lastly they knew no one in the movie industry would want to see a movie called Star Wars since there were far more expensive and original Sci-Fi pictures being produced. Also I am not saying these people if investing will get such money back as if they had invested in one of those other long shots, I am only saying don't discount something until you give it a fair chance but it just might work and you could at least make a small profit, if not always a huge profit, on your investment if you are willing to give it some time, which no one in this greedy instant gratification world is willing to do these days it seems.

I imagine there are many such games with anime/manga links and those are the first to target because they already are known titles, people don't have to remember a new title. These are those off the top of my head which is all I can think of at the moment as I am late for an appointment but I will add more this night if you desire.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-27-2004).]

I’d pay almost anything to get the first 3-4 Princess Maker Games Translated… i’ve said it before, I’m saying it again… and that’ll be true now and 10 years from now.

quote:
Originally posted by ScorpioMysterica:
I'd pay almost anything to get the first 3-4 Princess Maker Games Translated.....

Aren't we wealthy?

Okay if you take it that seriously, here's an idea how you could achieve your goal:
Buy GAINAX or at least 50% of their shares! If you own the company, you could tell them what to do. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 07-27-2004).]

Ya never know what could happen in the future… what was once a dream one day for someone can suddenly be snapped up and turned into reality without a moments notice give the right circumstances…

:wink: I’ll keep that in mind for whats to come in the future… you might just have an idea…