Review about Datsui-Jann 2

Eeeehm. Is this really going to be MY forum?
Anyway, here goes:

Disclaimer/Legal stuff:

This review is written from my point of view. Because I am no professinal reviewer, but an amateur, it is only intended as an additional information for other bishoujo-fans who are not quite sure what to expect from the product and that don’t want to rely completely on the makers product description.

However, since I am an amateur, I might make some mistakes by reporting from my point of view (for example: ignore some points that are not important to me, but might be very important to readers of my review). So, I discourage anyone to decide about buying or not buying the product, only relying on my decription.

Further, it is inportant to point out, that this text only represents my own opinion of the reviewed product and not the opinion of the people who host it on their website.

In order to avoid problems with copyrights, I am going to post this review only on one website. As long as it is available on that website, I have no right to put it on any other website.
However, if the hosting website decides to either
a) notify me, they don’t want to host it any longer
or
b) take it down and don’t tell me when they will put it up again during 1 week after they have put it down
I am free to post it on any other website under the same conditions and the former hosting website has to remove it permanently.

… end of “Disclaimer/Legal stuff”, start of the mentioned "review"

Name: Datsui-Jan 2

Made by: ELF

Genre:
This game is a mahjonng-tournament against a lot of characters from other ELF-games (for example: Dokyusei, Refrain Blue, Isaku, …).

Story:
There is not much of a story. At the beginning, the players character arrives at a train station in a town.
Every building in this town is either
a) a place, related to one other ELF game, where the characters from that game can be challenged
b) a shop, where desktop accessories are sold, that have to be paid with the money, won in the mahjonng-games.
c) informational-places (in-game-instructions, winning-statistics, galleries for already seen animations and CGs)

Gameplay:
The town i displayed as a map. By clicking on one of the locations, the players character moves on the map to this location and enters it. Depending on the kind of location, after entering, the player is either confronted with the personnel of the shop /info-place, or the opponents, that are at this place to be challenged.
The personnel could be simply asked about the informations or the items, they have in store for selling.
The opponents are always a group of sic persons: 3 male and 3 female. At first, the male opponents have to be beaten, before the female opponents are even available for bein challenged.
Any opponent, that has been beaten in his/her original environment, becomes also available at another place, the ELF-dome, where those opponents could even be mixed, regardless from which game they are from and where the stakes could be raised up to ten times the usual stakes at the original places.

Sound:
Not very spectacular, but alway nice to hear different BGMs are available for each location.
During mahjonng-ply, three different BGMs are selectable and could de even changed during the game.
Each character is voiced and the voices are used for:
a) annoucements during play (Riichi, Tsumo, Rong, …)
b) greetings, when the player enters the place
c) a short comment, of a character, that is chosen as an opponent
d) saying goodbye, when the player leaves that location

Graphics:
During Mahjonng-play, only the characters faces are displayed, that also give away their curent mood according to their score.
After a female character has lost all of their clothings (yep, only the females are going to strip), an voiced H-scene with that character follows, that has full-screen standing graphics with a quality, that is a bit higher than our current state of the art (examples: “TCI” or “Snow Drop”).
ALso the graphic-fragments, that only display one character with different expressions (or, in this case, more accurate: in different states of clothing) are used and have a similar graphics quality.
Only the quality of the in-game-graphics (the faces) is a bit lower. But this has the reason, that these faces are drawn in an style, that exagerates in the expression (for example: some faces transform into grimaces or the characters look even more like beasts, when they are about to loose), so the degree of photorealism in the other graphics is in these pictures not really required. (If you are concentrating on building your own hand, it is only distracting to pay these drawings too much attention, so too much quality in these drawings would have been wasted by being not fully recognized by the player.)

Animations:
The scenes, when a girl/woman discards an article of clothing are animated. THe quality of these animations rivals or even surpasses the quality of the standing graphics of the h-scenes.
Also, some minimal animations (eyeblinking in particular) are also added to the “standig graphics” as well as the faces, that are displayed during the Mahjonng-games.

User Interface:
All necessary function (including “save” and “load”) are available at the according places in the town. The entire interface is meant to be used by the usual mouseactions (point to object/destination and confirm selection with a click), but playing by using the keyboard only is also possible, even if this is not very convenient (cursor-keys for moving the character or the mousepointer, “enter” instead of mouseclick).
Additional functions (Quitting the game, switching the screen mode, changing settings (especially the BGM during Mahjonng) are available from the title-menu.

Extras / Omake:
This is a difficult point. In fact, the starting-menu does never contain a point “Extras” or "“Omake”. So, one possible point of view might be, there are no extras at all in this game.

However, I’d like to regard at least the accessories, that are at first glance just trophies (or rewards for continued playing beyond the point, where all opponents are beaten) as nice extras. After being bought at the shop, they could be installed onto the system and are from that moment also available out of the game (and this makes them from my point of view even more “Extra” than something, that is still only available from the application, but out of the regular gameplay hidden in an “Extras”-menu.).
There are:
9 wallpapers (each in resolutions from 640x480 up to 1600
6 screensavers
6 clocks
39 icons
1 email-client
39 voices (each voice with 5 system-messages (windows-start, windows-shutdown, email arrived,…))
3 soundtracks (8 themes in almost CD-DA quality in each soundtrack)
1 ELFamp-application with 8 different skins (similar to winamp)

Further extras (at least, in other games, they would be called that, because there, they would be available through the “Extras” or “Omake”-menu) are the galleries of graphics and animations, that are not really out of the game, but already available during the normal game. They are in the building, that also hosts the winning-statistics of all characters. Anytime, the player wants to take a break from playing mahjonng, he might enjoy the already seen pictures or animations again by visiting this building, without actually leaving the game behind (this makes it difficult to decide, if these functions are extras or not. In fact, the starting-menu only contains the options of starting a completely new game, or starting from a saved position. Even quitting the game is only from the title menu or by closing the applications window. ).

My personal opinion:
First of all: This game was also a lot of fun.
Compared to Sho-Ki, I had here a lot more different opponents (18 guys, 21 girls/women, while in Sho-Ki there were 13 girls) and all are bound to the regular japanese Mahjongg-rules (Yay! No magic attacks this time!).
The only violation to the standard-rules, I noticed, is obviously a bug: It happened, when I drew the fourth tile for a KAN from the wall and one opponent needed this tile for comleting his/her mahjonng. Although, I declared my KAN and the KAN was also displayed on my side (I had not yet drawn the replacement tile and my move was also not finished, because I had discarded no tile at all), this opponent called out “Rong” and suddenly, on this opponents side, there was a fifth tile of this kind and I had to pay for all his yakus according to the “Rong”-rule. However, I never heard about the fact, that in japanese rules, a tile drawn from the wall and added to a KAN could be called by an opponent for completing his mahjonng. I think, this applies only to discarded tiles.

On the other hand, there is no story and no real reason for our players character challenging all other characters in mahjonng.

If the missing story is acceptable, this game makes up for it with a better soundtrack and quite better graphics.
Also, the accessories are a lot fun. Sometimes, I simply start the “Isaku-hide-and-seek”-screensaver and play around with this one for about half an hour.

Collecting the graphics and animations, as well as the accessories, kept me motivated to play this game for about a month almost every evening.

I have once again to express my thanks to Bigdog, for recommending this game to me. This is a recommendation, I can simply agree to, as far as the player does not need a story in a game.

However, since I have now at least seen a bit of these characters (their different behaviour/comments during the game that also told a bit about their relations in the original ADV-games), I became also a bit interested in them. Perhaps, ELF made Datsui-Jan 2 (and its prequel, Datsui-Jan) only as fanservice for their faithful fans of the other games, giving them the effect of “Hello , long time no see”, but in my case, it works also the other way round. Maybe, one of my next japanese games, I am going to buy, is one of these ELF-adventures…

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 10-21-2002).]

Hmm, Sounds like a fun game, but at the same time, since Datsui-Jann 2, unlike Sho-ki, doesn’t have any real story, I don’t know if I’d buy it or not, I usually prefer to have a story in a game I’m playing… It sounds like something like a game directed only towards fans of ELF’s earlier gmaes, and, of course, to people who simply enjoys playing mahjonng (and to fans of ELF, what could be funnier than playing against your favourite game characters?). Still, this could be fun if you’re a player of mahjonng and enjoys playing it. Is there any special difficulty levels in this game?

quote:
Originally posted by Spectator Beholder:
It sounds like something like a game directed only towards fans of ELF's earlier gmaes, and, of course, to people who simply enjoys playing mahjonng (and to fans of ELF, what could be funnier than playing against your favourite game characters?).

That was also one of my suspiucions. Plus the simple value of reusing already designed and known characters, saving the effort to invent new ones.

quote:
Still, this could be fun if you're a player of mahjonng and enjoys playing it.

I assure you, it was! Because I like playing Mahjonng very much, Bigdog gave me this recommendation and I did not regret following it.

quote:
Is there any special difficulty levels in this game?

Sorry, but there exists no obvious option of setting an difficulty level. I got the (unconfirmed) impression, the game adjusted it's difficulty level during gameplay, though.

At first, it was pretty simple to beat the opponents, while later on they became gradually more tough to beat.

In Chinese Mj there is a rule similar to your bug so I don’t think it’s a bug just a rule variation :stuck_out_tongue: If you Kan and the person needs what you kaned to win they can take it but only when you kan not after. Hey Unicorn, which MJ game do you perfer, and where do you order yours from? If I can ever get himeya’s site to accept my order I will definately look into one of these 2 games.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
In Chinese Mj there is a rule similar to your bug so I don't think it's a bug just a rule variation :P If you Kan and the person needs what you kaned to win they can take it but only when you kan not after.

I thought, that only applied, if I called the last discarded tile for my KAN. In that case, Mahjonng would overrule KAN and give the discarded tile to the Mahjonng-caller instead of the KAN-caller, add one multiplier for robbing the KAN (and declare RON against the player, who discarded that tile).

In my case, I drew the fourth tile of the KAN directly from the wall and made KAN from my hand (or completed an open PON with that tile, I am not sure which of both cases really happened). And to interrupt my makng a KAN while it is still my turn, calling that drawn tile from my hand and giving a RON still seems quite odd to me. You see, it simply sounds strange to me, that a RON is possible without the tile that was used to complete the Mahjonng ever having been discarded.
You're sure, this rule exists in the chinese rules? Or could anyone else around here confirm this?

quote:
Hey Unicorn, which MJ game do you perfer, and where do you order yours from?

I can't make up my mind, which of them was more fun. Both have their advantages as well as disadvantages: I liked the characters of Sho-Ki more, but the graphics of Datsui-Jan are better and the accessories are also great.
Sho-Ki broke the rules with magical attacks, Datsui-Jan with a bug (I think).

However, I ordered both via himeya and "Sho-Ki" was less expensive than "Datsui-Jan 2". On the other hand, Sho-Ki has less oponens available.

The characters in Sho-Ki are more Comic-style, while the characters in Datsui-Jan are almost photorealistic.

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 10-22-2002).]

I stand corrected.

I have found that special robbing rule in an taiwanese rulebook, so I suppose it is one variant of robbing the KAN that I simply did not understand that way.

In fact, it is legal to claim the fourth piece of a KAN in the moment it is place in the open, to complete ones own Mahjong.

So, the strange behaviour was no bug of Datsui-Jan at all.
Sorry for making a big deal of it.

thinks about the 46876671373684 variations rules in Mahjong he saw when he decided (not long ago) to learn the game

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
Sorry, but there exists no obvious option of setting an difficulty level. I got the (unconfirmed) impression, the game adjusted it's difficulty level during gameplay, though.

At first, it was pretty simple to beat the opponents, while later on they became gradually more tough to beat.

I throught it was something like that. But I count that as a difficult level in itself, since the difficulty level is "raised" somewhat for every level anyway.

Another thing, that just came to my mind, regarding the “selectable difficulty level”:

In the ELF-dome, you can assign each opponent one out of three strategy-levels.
This modifies each opponents strategy, if he/she tries to build up an expensive hand or tries to make as fast as possible mahjonng in order to prevent others from doing this.

However, this option is only at the ELF-dome available, not at their starting positions.

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
*thinks about the 46876671373684 variations rules in Mahjong he saw when he decided (not long ago) to learn the game* [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hahah no kidding there is so many variations it's rediculous. Between tiwanese, chineses, japanese, even philopino, you can hardly keep the rules straight. What's worse is the scoring is different too. Oh yeah one more question for you Unicorn, can you play the game with limited/no knowlege of written japanese? I'm really interested in getting it now.

quote:
Oh yeah one more question for you Unicorn, can you play the game with limited/no knowlege of written japanese? I'm really interested in getting it now.

Well, I think you'd miss some of the story in Sho-Ki, if you can't read japanese.
If you are talking of Datsui-Jan: This would be possible, if you don't mind having to try, which button has which function before you could really play (they have all japanese inscriptions).

Good thing Unicorn is here or we wouldn’t have any reviews . Another good review, a couple people asked which one was better. Since I have played both games I will throw my 2 cents in , along with Unicorn. I enjoyed both Sho-Ki and Datsui Jan 2. Datsui Jan 2 definitely beats Sho-Ki in terms of animation quality and quantity, while both have great still pictures. I think Datsui Jan 2 might have a little more replay value, but I never tried Sho-Ki’s “battle mode” so I might have missed out on some of Sho-Ki’s potential. Since Sho-Ki is a more story driven mahjongg adventure, you would benefit more by being able to read Japanese than you would playing Datsui-Jan 2 where it has no story just playing mahjongg to see characters in previous elf games strip and to buy accesories. So for the Japanese Literate Sho-Ki can definitely be more engrossing than Datsui-Jan 2 unless you have played numerous elf games.

In terms of difficulty I found Sho-Ki more difficult than Datsui-Jan 2 in that you had to totally strip each girl naked in one mahjongg game in order to beat them, while in Datsui-jan 2 you just have to get a higher finishing place and you can remove their clothes over the course of numerous games.

Overall I would recommend Datsui-Jan 2 over Sho-Ki in terms of actually gameplay and fun, BUT in terms of value Sho-Ki is a C’s Ware games so it costs half the price of Datsui-Jan 2, so I would rate Sho-Ki a better value.

NOTE There Unicorn, all fixed

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 11-04-2002).]

One thing, I just realized:

quote:
Originally posted by Bigdog:
I enjoyed Sho-Ki but found little to no replay value, especially due to the annoying magic attacks (at least in my opinion they were annoying).

On the other hand, you said in the Sho-Ki-review thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Bigdog:
You know I really regret selling this game back in June, because it was a quite fun to play through and had good replay value.

What about the change of your opinion about the replay-value during the 4 days between those posts?

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 11-04-2002).]

Blush You got me there. Well ahem I guess honestly I was probably a little harsh in the comparison between Sho-Ki and Dat-Sui Jan 2. Sho-Ki did have some replay value, just not as much as Datsui-Jan 2 did. Also I never really tried Sho-Ki’s “battle mode” so I could have missed out on that whole aspect, and maybe even played without the magic attacks I love so much (insert sarcasm). Now as I quickly modify my previous post to hide my ways, hehe…

Since the number of people playing ELF all-stars Datsui-Jann 2 has increased, I think it’s time to ask the following question:

Has anyone figured out how to get the discounts at the accesories-shops?

Hmmm…no clue I thought you might be able to win it in the dome but I’ve been busy trying to get all the girls haven’t played the dome much. OH yeah one question about picking your partners in the dome. What does the 3 buttons on the right side of the selection screen do? The toggle each other so is it like a difficulty selector?

quote:
I thought you might be able to win it in the dome but I've been busy trying to get all the girls haven't played the dome much.

It's obviously not that simple, because I already played a lot at the dome at maximum risk in order to get the money for all the accessories. But I got never any discout-chips. Perhaps, you have to win with special combinations...

quote:
What does the 3 buttons on the right side of the selection screen do? The toggle each other so is it like a difficulty selector?

Sort of. If is a switch between different kinds of strategies for each character and might be regarded as a difficulty-switch. However, I think the characters are easier to beat, if they are switched to "red" than if they are switched to "green".

Ahh I’ve been leaving it at yellow, can’t go wrong with the middle selection
Not sure about the special combos getting you coupons though I’ve gotten a couple of pretty big combos enough to knock off all the chips of a player and I don’t have any coupons. Of course haven’t gotten the all crap limit hand yet.