Review about Words Worth

Thousands of years ago God created a stone plate and it was named Words Worth. Legend told that whomever read Words Worth would know everything and bring about a new world. Then one day the stone plate was shattered. Both the King of Light and the King of Shadow blamed each other for breaking the plate, and a great war ensued. Since that dark day the Kingdoms of Light and Shadow have been at war. Welcome to the world of Words Worth.

In Words Worth you control the mischievous Prince of Shadow, Asutora. Asutora is Watoshi’s, the Lord of Shadow, only son. Watoshi has prevented his son from taking the warrior’s trial and letting him partake in battles for fear that he might get killed. Asutora wants to become a warrior though and impress his bride to be Syaro, who is one of the finest warriors for the Shadow. One day the Kingdom of Light begins a massive assault on the Kingdom of Shadow, this is where the games starts. Take control of Asutora and see if you can lead him to his destiny.

Words Worth is essentially a dungeon crawler. You explore numerous levels finding key items and talking to event people. When you talk to an event person it usually triggers something or someone to appear in a different part of the dungeon and you have to find that next event to move on. The key items are what you typically use to open barriers and continue to different levels. Every dungeon level is plagued with monsters, when you run into these monsters you engage in combat. Combat is fairly simplistic and pretty much just consists of clicking your mouse or hitting the appropriate key and swinging to swing your sword. When you win a combat you are rewarded with money and experience. One thing to note is that when you level up you have no control of which statistics are upgraded, so no customization of your hero . The main impact you can have on combat is choosing which path to upgrading you weapons and armor. There are a couple different weapon types to choose from, each having different attack speeds and being one-handed or two-handed. And depending on what weapon your using, you have different selections available for armor. There are quite a few upgrades to the weapons and armor throughout the game.

Graphic wise Words Worth does not disappoint. While the dungeons and gameplay areas are a little shabby, they don’t look that bad. The event CGs, on the other hand, are all top notch. The game is actually reasonably long and therefore has quite a few CGs to acquire. The extras menu is available at anytime if I remember correctly and you can view any CGs you have currently acquired.

Words Worth has fairly good Midi music playing. It can get repetitive on some levels, but for 90% of the game contains good variety and you will enjoy it while you search the dungeons. Words Worth does not however contain voice acting , maybe someday elf will do a remake with voice!

Overall (My Opinion)
Words Worth was a good game, I would rate it in the upper portion of my game collection. While it does not really have a lot of replay ability, due to its linear storyline, it is fairly long and does have an engrossing story. I would recommend being able to read Japanese for this game. While you can acquire all the CGs with no Japanese knowledge, you really missing out on what makes this a good game if you cannot follow the storyline. Also you will almost certainly get stuck finding a couple key items and figuring out what you supposed to do next, since you won’t understand where the event people are telling you to go you will be forced to wander aimlessly looking for the next event. I am not sure whether the anime series spawned from the game or vise versa but the two have the same storyline, the game goes more in-depth than the anime but they both follow the same storyline. Overall I enjoyed Words Worth and it is a good dungeon crawler.

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 11-07-2002).]

Wow, are you going to release a review a day?

If you are: I can’t compete with that…

Back to seriousness
Thanks again for this review.
It gives a nice impression of this classic RPG b-game.

However, I’d wish you’d also talked a bit about the soundtrack, because at least in my opinion it is an important part of the experience, each game gives you: For example it becomes ridiculous, if the played tune and current situation completely mismatch (sometimes, I might be a bit too much hooked on music). Also, it could be interesting to know, if the game has voice-acting and if it has, to what extent (all the time, for all characters (including the players character) and so on).

It’s nice to have another regular reviewer here around… Please continue this way!

I doubt I will do a review a day, especially since I only have around 10 or so Japanese games to begin with and I have only beaten about half of those. I sometimes forget to write about sound since that is probably the hardest part for me to remember when I finish a game, unless the sound was horridbly bad or unbelievably good. I edited the review and included what I could recall about the sound in Words Worth.

Sounds interesting. From what I heard I think the game came first then the anime. So the game follows the plot like the anime… that’s good but does it continue where the anime ends?

No, both the game and the anime have the same storyline. The game just goes in much more detail, and contains many events the anime doesn’t.

I could have sworn Words Worth had voice acting… actually I believe it does, maybe you accidentally turned the voiced option off in the options menu or something.

I am sorry for reviving such an age-old thread, but there’s a slight mistake in the review I wish to correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigdog:
Words Worth does not however contain voice acting , maybe someday elf will do a remake with voice!

That’s not true. The game does contain voice acting, and excellent voice acting, too. Actually, all characters are fully voiced, even the male ones. (The player being the only exception) And the voices fit the corresponding characters very well.

On a sidenote, the game already is a remake of an older game with the same name.

Be careful, dark shiki just started barking at me for “reviving” another old thread…

nvm

[This message has been edited by Giovanni (edited 03-09-2005).]

First post!! Worths worth for XP and Windows was full voiced. Maybe the dude got a bad copy or something. I’m currently playing it right now and I’m almost finished with it, great game. I think it definitely has potential to be released in the U.S., in fact I think plenty of Elf’s games can easily be translated and released here. But for some reason they haven’t been. Does anyone know what exactly why? Low demand?

quote:
Originally posted by DingoEnderZOE2:
I think it definitely has potential to be released in the U.S., in fact I think plenty of Elf's games can easily be translated and released here. But for some reason they haven't been. Does anyone know what exactly why? Low demand?

Welcome to the board!

I am not sure how long you have been playing b-games, but there has been (at least) one Elf game released in the US. Does Knights of Xentar ring any bell? (Japanese name: Dragon Kinght 3). Since Megatech (the company that released it) flopped not long after it was release, I don't think that sent any good signs to Elf.

I’ve been playing B-games for 7 years now. I Had my first real experience with the B-game Genre with Doukyuusei 2/Classmate 2(Even translated a character scenario and posted it on gamefaqs.). Yes I remember the Knights of Xentar flop, unfortunate but a minor setback.

I think that was a case of bad timing for the company who released it, the same goes for the Princess Maker incident. I think right now theres still a good chance that B-games from Elf could work out since there seems to be an increase of B-game Fans.

I especially think Dragon Knight 4 and Words Worth would work out perfectly here. If I a mere amateur could translate a Character Scenario from Doukyuusei 2 imagine how fast it would take a group of professional Translator to completely translate the game.