Rogue-like H-RPG Kagura Douchuuki hits Steam Greenlight + First Impression

I've posted a fairly comprehensive post on my personal blog about this announcement, including a first impression and my overall assessment of Debonosu's lineup. I also touch on the censorship issue.

Rogue-like H-RPG Kagura Douchuuki hits Steam Greenlight + First Impression

Feel free to discuss this announcement here. This is pretty big news for gameplay eroge in English, even if Debonosu isn't my favorite developer. Raidy fans should find a lot to like, assuming Debonosu wakes up and releases the ero-version as well.

I follow up yesterday's tweet to Debonosu with an appeal to fans of gameplay eroge and opponents of senseless censorship.

Tell Debonosu you want the uncut version of Kagura Douchuuki

"For those who are opposed to Steam censorship of this title, here's what you can do.

Go to Debonosu's twitter account (@debonosu) and tweet this message:

???????????????????????????

I am opposed to censorship. Please give us the 18+ version (in English)!

If enough fans speak up, they might listen and also release the original 18+ version in partnership with an eroge publisher like Sekai Project, Mangagamer, or JAST USA."

I've posted an updated version of the article (NSFW) on ero-gaming news and reviews site LewdGamer.com.

H-RPG Kagura Douchuuki gets Greenlight for Censorship (Op-Ed) [NSFW]

The new version includes a completely new section "Steam: An opportunity and a threat to lewd gaming" that demonstrates how Steam is changing the face of professional eroge localization.

Good coverage! Yeah, Steam is such a freaking juggernaut in the world of visual novels right now… Part of me wonders if we’re truly seeing THE FUTURE (<-- in all caps), or if what we’re experiencing now is something of a mini-bubble that will later subside.

At any rate, I’m going to adopt the drug dealer’s mantra for VNs on Steam: “Let’s get them all addicted and sort the consequences out later.” If Kagura Douchuuki is the newest drug to hit the streets, so be it!

I posted a link to the article as a discussion on Steam. I'm curious whether it'll ignite discussion or just get me banned from Steam.

much appreciated sanahtlig aka bully-kun how dovac calls you ;D

@ Jack Sprat

"Yeah, Steam is such a freaking juggernaut in the world of visual novels right now… Part of me wonders if we’re truly seeing THE FUTURE (<-- in all caps), or if what we’re experiencing now is something of a mini-bubble that will later subside."

I don’t think we’re in a steam bubble right now, it’s more like the VN / eroge medium is finally stepping out of the shadows. I think the potential demand was always there but there was no cost effective way of promoting the medium until KS and steam came along. Anime and manga got popular quicker because us westerners are familiar with the concept of watching a cartoon or reading a comic book but VNs were and still are a more foreign and unfamiliar concept to us that requires a lot more visibility for it to gain traction.

I don’t see anything artificial or unsustainable with current levels of demand. Until VNs have caught up to manga and anime there’s still room for growth. Now if VN sales suddenly surpassed anime and manga sales and gutted Empress and Black Lilith titles were being sold for $40 on steam I’d be ready to call it a bubble.

What I do see happening though (and fairly soon) is that customers will become a little more selective with their purchases as more companies enter the market and more titles are released within the same time period. Which is why I think that JAST should start releasing some of their older games on Steam right now while the competition is less fierce. It makes sense to prioritize these steam releases of older titles as the people that buy these games are likely to also buy other future JAST titles not released on steam.

That’s not to say you couldn’t see a bubble happen. If major publishers are getting ready to do their own steam releases and a generally accepted perception exists that there will be a bubble-burst event, you may see a flood of titles hitting the market, all at the same time, causing a temporary crash (self fulfilling prophecy).

That’s just my two cents on the issue.

That depends on exactly how far back in the back catalog you want to go. Jast’s been around a very long time.

Most of Jast’s back catalog hasn’t aged well enough to compete with newer games. All the really old games would need a new engine to even be releasable at all. And that’s if they were worth bothering with. And in most cases, they aren’t really worth bothering with - the stories don’t hold up, the art is very dated, and the translations were fairly sub-par. Of the really old games, pretty much only Crescendo and Nocturnal Illusion would hold up at all.

That’s not to say there aren’t good candidates for Steam releases. After Peter took over GC, average quality started going up. Any of the Nitroplus games would be great. Princess Waltz would also be good. Snow Sakura might work. Aselia would be awesome; I know Valve turned it down before, but they might go for it now. But perhaps his best bet is My Girlfriend Is The President. Never underestimate the power of a goofy name (and corresponding trailer).

Yeah some of the latter titles you posted were the ones I had in mind. I really like your pick My Girlfriend is the President; that and Saya no Uta would be some good titles for the first wave of past releases on steam.

Looks like the Starless censorship brigade has some more work cut out for them! lol