save file discussion prohibited?

Someone started a topic called Save games in the Bishoujo Games – Help! forum on 12-26. He wanted a save file for some Brave Soul scenario he was unable to complete, as I recall. I replied the same day, and he responded soon after. I said I didn’t understand why anyone would want such a shortcut since it takes all the fun out of playing the game. He said something about being tired of playing in order to reach a particular ending.

When I went back to the forum today, I was surprised to find the entire topic was gone. I assume Lamuness must have deleted it, since ordinary members can’t remove postings. Curiously, the listing is still visible with the search engine - which is how I know I’m not imagining it.

My question is: Is there some restriction against soliciting save files? If so, I don’t understand the reason for it. Surely a save file isn’t considered proprietary? It can only be created by playing the game, and if one is to presume innocence, there’s no reason to suspect the game of being pirated. Again, I don’t see the point in asking for a game “cheat”, but I also don’t see anything wrong with asking for a user-created file that by itself isn’t a part of the game. Is there some dark, illegal use of save files that I’m overlooking?

http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000743.html

dont make me repeat myself again

Sorry, but when there’s no rational reason for having a rule I sometimes forget it exists. This topic was started for the purpose of gaining an understanding the need for the rule, but I guess that isn’t permitted either.

I don’t understand this rule either. I read the admin post. Although it was stated there that all posts that dealt with save files would be deleted, it seemed that the focus of that thread was more that things that can be answered in the manual such as how to save a game shouldn’t be posted. Save games are different tho’ since that’s like a walkthrough (pls don’t tell me these are banned also). I personally can’t stand it when I’ve played a game umpteemph times and I’m missing like 3 CG. Some people talk about the personal satisfaction of completing the entire thing w/o help, but at that point, I’m just frustrated.

darkstar’s post pretty much reflects how i feel about this. this is a company bbs, not some fansite/cheat bbs. we would really prefer people to play/enjoy the games we make, rather than buying it solely for looking at a bunch of CGs via a patch.

not that i am totally against the concept, but i feel that such discussions should be made elsewhere.

asking for walkthroughs is fine of course.

Not even mention the fact that asking for a save file just to see the CG galery is a bit suspicious, i wouldnt pay 50 bucks (a lot of money on local coin) just to see a bunch of CGs…
sorry if i’m wrong but that makes me think that the person asking for the file is nothing but a pirate…

also the pirates don’t have access to the manual

quote:
Originally posted by AngelofDeath:
also the pirates don't have access to the manual

But a save file has nothing to do with the manual [or piracy, for that matter]. It's more a case of one person dictating how someone else ought to play the game. I'd rather figure out the endings on my own, but if someone else wants the answers in advance, that's their choice.

People are already asking for solutions to LMM, and we know it hasn't been pirated yet. I repeat, there is no direct connection between save files and piracy.

quote:
Originally posted by The Unholy Avenger:
Not even mention the fact that asking for a save file just to see the CG galery is a bit suspicious, i wouldnt pay 50 bucks (a lot of money on local coin) just to see a bunch of CGs...
sorry if i'm wrong but that makes me think that the person asking for the file is nothing but a pirate...

I don't think that wanting a save file has anything to do with being a pirate. I paid 50bux for this game, and I wouldn't mind having a save file. After you've played the game for 20+hrs, and are still missing one ending or some 3 CG, you just want to finish the game and get on with the rest of your life. Of course there are some people that want to wring every last minute of gameplay to get their money's worth, but not everyone is like that.

Piracy is definitely a problem when it comes to software. I don't think save files are the issue here. They need to stop the software from being distributed period. Maybe something like the virtual mate system will help here since I think all of us want to see more games come over.

Lamuness-san,will you delete the thread if someone ask for save files of games that’s not licensed by your company?