Scary VN's

Hello everyone. With Halloween coming up so soon I thought it would be good opportunity to discuss some more scary VN’s and What are you playing this month? What are some scary VN’s you played if so did they leave any impact on you? Was it good or bad? As for me This month I played Higanbana no Saku Yoru Ni.

Right now I’m playing Bazooka Cafe, which isn’t exactly appropriate to the season, though the bra size of the heroines might be considered terrifying in some quarters. :wink:

I guess Song of Saya and Deus Machina Demonbane are the two obvious Halloween titles from the JAST library for anyone looking for a creepy or supernatural read. I own those two but haven’t gotten around to playing just yet. Littlewitch Romanesque might work, too, if you squint just right. One more title that isn’t JAST’s that I’d have to throw out there would be House of Fata Morgana, recently released by MangaGamer. I haven’t fully played through that one, either, but I’m in love with the soundtrack and love the art.

What is Higanbana about, Makina? Want to give a spoiler-free synopsis?

Song of Saya definitely fits into this category.

Critical Point, which could probably be considered ancient by now, had some fairly scary route paths, and frequently your choices would end in the death of the main character.

A really old favorite, Nocturnal Illusion is … not really scary, per se, but it does create mood rather effectively. Unfortunately, the translation is awful, and the game doesn’t really run on modern computers. Other than that, believe it or not, the only real scary VN I can think of that hasn’t been mentioned already is Steins;Gate. It’s not really very scary in the conventional sense, but it does go to some very dark places.