Sex in Video Games Conference (June 8 - 9, 2006)

I just noticed that Peter Payne will be a speaker at the Sex in Video Games Conference (June 8 - 9, 2006) http://www.sexinvideogames.com/speakers.html

Cool!

The planned discussion of sex-based MMO’s at this conference rather frightens me, actually.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 04-27-2006).]

It frightens me as well. The last thing i need is to realize just how freaky some people are. The tales of internet luring are bad enough.

Doesnt bother me so much, as long as people understand the differnce from RL and a Game… who cares, but the problem is… lotsa people dont make that Distinction. i mean as long as people understand its a game… Its just someone trying to have fun as far as i can see.

As for internet Luring… ya know… u cant blame that all on stalkers and such… those kids get them self into it most the time… Parents just need to bare down and kids and say, "Hey, there are some bad people out there who dont mean well… always have ur guard up."
The way i see problems like that are… in this case… those kids give our their addresses… some get on their webcam and strip for the person online… Thats where the Parents should be… they should be there LONG before it gets to that… Cant blame it all on the Lurers online… they will always exist… as long as theres internet… So its gotta be up to the parents to help prevent…
I mean… Dont get ur kid a Webcam for his/her 16th birthday… Dont let them have a computer in their room… things like that…

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 04-29-2006).]

I have had a computer in my room since I was 12.

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:

I mean.. Dont get ur kid a Webcam for his/her 16th birthday.. Dont let them have a computer in their room.. things like that..

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 04-29-2006).]

I could understand that argument being made for a 10 or 12-year-old, but by the time you're 16 you should be capable of making decisions for yourself, at least if you've been made aware of the dangers. A healthy 16-year-old doesn't get "tricked" into stripping in front of a web camera. Now you can always argue that there's some imbalanced teenagers out there that might get themselves into trouble, but I don't think the answer for parents is assuming your child is imbalanced from the get-go. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Being overprotective of teenagers often has the opposite effect one hopes for: it just inspires rebellion and the teen will begin doing things he/she wouldn't have otherwise done. The best way to manage a teen is to establish early on that responsible decisions will earn them more independence, while irresponsible decisions will result in loss of independence. Make it clear that the way they'll be treated is always in their own hands, and they'll be less likely to rebel.

I have had a computer in my room since I was 9, but webcams didn’t exist then.

Being able to have conversations with your kids is important. A lot of parents are so embarassed about everything that the kids only learn from their peers and from people who are trying to mislead them. (And a lot of parents don’t understand computers enough to ask questions.)

By the time I was 16-17 I knew what I was doing, I understood that people online were not necessarily what they seemed, and that you should be careful about meeting strangers, but it was also possible to make great friends out there. (Heck, I met my husband online. And when we first met in person, I was NOT alone and I made sure people knew where both of us were in case anything went wrong for either of us.)

Of course, since when I was 16-17 the net was only just beginning to take off, the direct warnings I had about this sort of thing were in regards to dating services, not the internet. People lying and tricking lonely girls/women into meeting up with dangerous strangers is not a new thing.

(… and yes. I was wandering into sex chat rooms on purpose while not being 18 yet, and LIED a lot about my personal details. i was curious about what went on in there. )

Yes, when i was referring to kids… i did mean ages 8-14 or so… like a 16 year old with a computer in their room… what ever… but why does a 12 year old need one in his room unless he/she is TRYING to get into trouble.

A perfect Example of Teenage Stupidity is Myspace… its exactly what the internet can be used for bad… I mean U post a pic of ur self… Post ur general Location… Tell people to look at ur pic, and on top of that… u got all the Sick Horney 20-30 year olds (not saying everyone is… im targeting a specific group of people here, im talking about ur Pedos and stalkers…) looking for a hottie to “Trick” online into doing stupid things. And they will lie about anything… to do it…

I’ll see if I can get someone to that event to get a report or transcript of the panel with Peter Payne. Not making any promises though.

Took you till you were twelve?

But then, we had a PC in 87 when most people were content with an Atari.

Gah! It appears I can’t get anyone to cover this event after all.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060623/reynolds_01.shtml

now who the hell is that friggin red-eye-zombie weirdo holding those boxes up in the public? :stuck_out_tongue:

[ 06-26-2006, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Lamuness - BBS Admin ]

Question…when Peter says expanding his catalog to include games like Let’s Meow Meow!..does he mean CORPORATE TAKEOVER!?!

And by expandanding his business to include over 50 titles does that expansion also include…CORPORATE TAKEOVER?!?

But I thought G-Collections became Peter’s after Let’s Meow Meow’s release?

And look at the way the guy is looking at Peter, lol! Like he’s shocked or something.

[ 06-27-2006, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Mockingbird ]

Eh… He’s talking about what he has done in the past.

No, he acquired G-Collections some time after Figures of Happiness was out.

Now, is it just me, or does Peter Payne look different to his avatar on those photos? Maybe his avatar is from years ago?

Doesn’t look like Pete in the avatar he uses here on the forums, hmm, maybe it’s just me…