Short Peter Interview

I was reading up on some editorials and what did I find but

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_30/b3893094.htm

Hey Peter share the wealth =p.

Nice.
Though I have to say that Power Rangers is NOT Japanese.

I thought it was Japanese but targeted at a much younger age then those that cling or clung to it here as a favorite show; or that’s what was written in I think it was the Atlanta Journal Constitution at the time this show as ‘brand new’, in which they also mentioned in the ultimate act of butchering through editing, they replaced any scenes with people speaking Japanese out of costume with English speaking actors thus redoing those scenes only, that’s not right?

I remember this because it was so laughable of a show and it seemed to be such an outrage to replace scenes rather then just dubbing them, but that is not right?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-31-2004).]

If it was a Japanese show, the actors would be Japanese.
And the company wouldn’t be Saban, which is American.

I am under the impression that the shows were a bunch of different live action Sentai shows that were very heavily edited, with new footage shot and mixed in.

* The shows featuring the Rangers always have their faces obscured - the actors can dub it in

* The dramatic changes in the show’s setting (the change in the robots, etc) is due to one show having ended and a new one being added to the mix.

Of course this is all hearsay; I don’t even remember where I heard this, so I can’t corroborate it.

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
If it was a Japanese show, the actors would be Japanese.
And the company wouldn't be Saban, which is American.

Well like I said, they edited it so any scenes with Japanese actors were taken out and replaced with American actors, that is what I heard, so it technically could have been a Japanese show that was edited by a U.S. Company that took credit for it.

Remember even in anime, while the Japanese company is acknowledged no one says "oh it's Gonzo's production of Kiddy Grade", it's always Funimation's production of, or ADV's production of etc. So I can see them crediting a U.S. Company for a Japanese show especially if they edited out the Japanese actors and replaced them with American ones for all non costumed scenes.

Power Rangers is indeed Japanese. What they did was instead of dubbing it they made a US version

I just confronted peter about the article, demanding him to double our salary…turns out that the 4 millions is just sales (or revenue i presume), not profit…well so much for that…

but even so that’s still impressive revenue for a little company like jlist. you have to go to japan to see it for yourself to believe how small scale jlist actually is.

Power rangers is japanese. They just edited some scenes with us actors and put them together.

quote:
I just confronted peter about the article, demanding him to double our salary...turns out that the 4 millions is just sales (or revenue i presume), not profit.....well so much for that....

LOL. Nice try. :P

Power Rangers being an edited version doesn't sound like it's that. There are many scenes where the actors are as their everyday selves. The explanation of a US version sounds the most plausible.

What did you mean, the idea of say filming say you eating lunch and replacing a scene of someone obviously on the Spanish coast eating lunch with the shot of you does not sound likely?

Why not, it is very cheap production, you have cheap sets and might be able to pay the actors a little less, at least to a point, since they only get so much screen time and after words are basically voice actors for the scenes of the others in costume.

It’s not at all difficult to splice the show up and just edit in the parts with american actors. If you notice whenever they fight all the characters are in costume and when they are talking everyone is out of coustume. Name me one action sequence where you actually see the american actors face. Power rangers have been a staple of japanese programming for years although they are not called power rangers.

Action sequence with actor faces? Easy, when they fight the Putty Patrol, or their future variants.

Those too are spliced in and the exception to the rule, it’s not hard to have actors wave hands around in very overly dramatic gestures while costumed foes fall to the ground. Come to think of it Power Rangers does remind me somewhat of very bad Japanese movies MST3K has made fun of at times, Invasion of the Neptune Men comes to mind.

Curious, do they target it to a younger age group then it is targeted to here? I admit it has been a few years since I was 10 years old, but that seems to be the target group here and parts of that show would seem well almost like Barney starring in a remake of Jurassic Park, that is either for people that will MST3K it, or a very young crowd, or is that just me thinking that?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 08-03-2004).]

Yes sentai shows target the young kiddies in japan. Actually you know what Benoit, the new power rangers looks like they were produced in NZ by Disney. But the origional power rangers up to ninja storm were japanese With some quick googling here’s a site with some info on it.
http://www.supersentai.com/

Very interesting link, and okay it’s good to know someone actually targets very young children, it seems to fit better then trying to target a wider age group.

Thanks for the link, wanfu2k1.

I can’t seem to find information about the series I saw when I was little. It was named Jetman aka Bioman 3. Yet the descriptions and such don’t match.

I also can’t find any information about Power Rangers, except on the main page.

After Power Rangers Zeo, the series pretty much died, it always seemed to me. When I see Power Rangers now, they’re suddenly in space, the actors are all different (except for Bulk and Skull) Zordon is gone, and the villains have also all changed.
It’s weird as hell, and I can’t watch it.

Well you know a lot more the characters then I think most of us, and it sounds like you lost interest about the time Disney took over?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 08-04-2004).]

I stopped watching after Amy Jo Johnson left. Those acrobatic skills were something alright.

------------------
精神 の 神

I honestly don’t know when Disney took over. I thought I would find it out on the site.

Amy Jo Johnson? Sorry, I rarely know the names of actors of anything on TV or movie. Do you mean Kimberley?